Wed, Sep 18, 6:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I love the new year!

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:15 PM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 6:08 PM

As usual, the new year started out great! Last night my machine decided to commit suicide when the mainboard(and/or the cpu) ceased to function in the middle of a render. It got even more fun when i found out that finding a mainboard these days that supports Rambus is even harder than solving the key for time travel. Today i had to send the new kitten to the dentist and pull a tooth, which costed a small fortune, and to top that off, the girlfriend fell on the icy streets and damaged her hand. Tommorrow, ill have to cough up around $1000 for the new system, and then ill have the undescribable joy of trying to save 80 gb of scenes, models, photos etc from the old drives to a new one. Considering my luck so far, i expect at least an explosion or a burnt out apartment. There must be a higher being up there somewhere, and he definitely hate tentacled guys... :D

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

draculaz ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:23 PM

i'm sorry, any post that has the words 'girlfriend', 'tentacles' and 'kitten' within paragraphs of each other is funny. but yeah, sorry to hear about your compounded woes :/ drac

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But, I'll feel sorry for you when I find a job after losing mine a couple of months ago. But I feel your pain bro. :-)

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 1:43 PM

Well, i cant say i suffer to much from this. Its so ridiculous its actually funny. :) At least its not as bad as last year. Sorry to hear Bandolin, its far worse losing a job.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 2:34 PM

Rudy before you start moving all your files I'll tell you an easier way..........just add your old hard drive (make it a 'Slave') into your new comp. !

Smile, your dead a long time :)

bandolin ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 2:53 PM

Don't feel sorry for me. Its not so bad when you lose a soul-sucking job. Looking forward to a new career.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 3:43 PM

Thanks Marc. Problem is that i have two drives already, with the operating system on one, but files i need to back-up from both of them. Ill just place a new drive(with a fresh XP and a burning tool) as the primary and lift the files over to it from the others one by one, and do some backing up. (a LOT of backing up) Its going to take some time though. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 3:59 PM

I hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs, its just that its how i over came my problem when needing more space I have 3 hard drives, the third is connected with adapter card in which i can add another to it making 4. If you open up your casing of the tower/midi-tower, you will find you can add more by the spaces left inside. I can fit 6 in all plus the 2 extra from the card. It makes sense to use it when you have so much information in the old (to be) drive.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 4:47 PM

What do you expect? The way you treat your machine; all those objects in one scene, its outrages! Poor putty cat:( I just say what the PC gods tell me too;) Good luck Rochr

I never intended to make art.

RodsArt ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 6:09 PM

Got my tentacled statue out for good luck & sending some your way Rudy...You too bandolin, I've had my new one for 4 months now, not that it's much of a blessing, only doing it for the cash until something better comes along. Good Luck gang in 06!! Rod

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

RodsArt ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 6:39 PM

file_315709.jpg

;)

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

shinyary2 ( ) posted Mon, 02 January 2006 at 9:33 PM

rofl@ICM&draculaz Good luck Rochr!

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 12:36 AM

put your old data drive in an external USB shell. Did that with mine when I upgraded the size of my internal data drive (as opposed to OS/programs drive). Sorry to hear about mainboard/cpu (I feel your Rambus pain!), girlfriend and kitten (been there to both). May the new year get better for you from here on in!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 2:06 AM

Rudy, if it's just your motherboard gone, the data are still nice and safe on the disk. No explosion, flames or what not. Second Incarnadine's USB housing suggestion. Those for 3.5" drives is about $30 here in Croatia. The only thing when you use it is to take care of the jumper positions. RAMBUS, ewwww. And poor girlfriend and the kitten.

-- erlik

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 3:49 AM

I dont worry too much about the data really, i just figured i could backup the stuff on dvds while im at it, even though it will take some time. And its always nice with a new clean system. :) The thing thats most annoying is that i now have 1 gig of Rambus to no use. Ill look around though and see if i can find an extra mainboard that support them. I can always use it for a second system. LOL@Rod

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 5:35 AM

Hi Rudy, RAMBUS went out of use due to licencing making the technology very expensive, I just bought a gig of DDR RAM for 40, I'd sell the RIMMS on eBay to offset the cost of new bits! Socket 939 mobo, AMD Opteron 148, 1G DDR RAM can be had for a little over 200 and the opteron o/clocks like anything, even a many tentacled one should find the performance good :)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 9:38 AM

40 for a gig?????????? I had to pay twice that much here in sweden - The Land Where You Can Actually Be Taxed To Death - and i consider that cheap. +( Next time i think ill import the parts. :) Good thinking with eBay.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Majesty ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 5:00 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your kitten and your girlfriend. You know what? this is my first post to the group. You'll be happy with a new computer probably I hope and I hope the data transferring goes well. Sweet Regards, Kari

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 03 January 2006 at 10:53 PM

SheeshRochr, sorry to hear that the New Year has got you by the tentacles (sp). Terrible sinking feeling when you see your machine go broadside, but it happens to all of us at one time or another. Now it becomes a pesky salvage operation. Wish you all the best of luck there and that Murphys Law stays away (does the sign of the cross and crosses fingersIm not superstitious Ill have you know 0.o). So now youll have a snaggletooth cat and a one-arm lady? Well, I hope the girlfriend has a speedy recovery and isnt too seriously hurt but the poor kitty may have to suck milk through a straw for a little while but itll be okay. ;)

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 12:58 AM

Man, I thought I had it bad trying to Get an XP to ME IPX LAN network going. (Still doesn't work.) Things are bound to get better.

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 4:39 PM

Up & running again! New machine is working with all 3 discs and a faster cpu. All thats left now is to backup all the stuff, format the old hds and to reinstall everything again. ...and the case is looking much better with the new blue neon power supply. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 4:46 PM

Oohhhhh, so you should have more images uploaded within 10 minutes then!! LOL WB Rudy. glad everything is coming up roses. He he he

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 6:09 PM

I actually have 2 abstracts completed...

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 6:11 PM

And you only used 3 tentacles!! LOL

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 6:14 PM

Ooh, Talent AND Speed! Now that's rubbing it in! (grin) Glad to hear that is working out.

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 6:44 PM

Not sure the scenes were worth it though. It was one of these i rendered in poster size when my machine died... :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 6:49 PM

Well, lets see it then!! Marc (Waiting with baited breadth)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 9:46 PM

You have me curious too!

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2006 at 11:47 PM

Ok, just need to install some stuff to resize the images with. Right now theyre in the sizes of 3000x????. Stay tuned. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Incarnadine ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2006 at 12:18 AM

staying tuned

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2006 at 3:56 PM

Me too. (staying tuned) Sorry I missed all the hullaballo, but glad things turned out okay for you Rochr. Similar hopes for kitty's toothlessness and girlfriend's hand.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.