Sat, Aug 3, 7:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 02 3:21 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara 5 Pro stability

Singular3D ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2006 at 2:16 PM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 6:32 AM

Really considered to buy the download version, because it seems to have great features and seems to be superior to memory leaking Vue Infinite. Just wanted to know, if there are any stability issues that have to be sorted out or if you can work in a reliable way. Just want to use it for landscapes and outdoor scenes as a companion to Poser 6. By the way: Is there a way to transfer Carrara scenes to Cinema 4D easily?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2006 at 2:29 PM

No memory leaking here :) Solid as a rock...you will notice some slow down when using surface replicators(eco systems) as in scene set up. I have not had a crash to date. Have NOT turned off any system items either. WinXP Pro 4G ram Nvidia 6800 Ultra 256k ram 3.2GHZ processor

Singular3D ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2006 at 2:31 PM

Wow, seems like the application I waited for ;-))

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2006 at 3:23 PM

The last version is rather solid on Mac OSX too, in case you wondered.

obaeyens ( ) posted Mon, 09 January 2006 at 8:28 PM

The standard version: The most stabele environment I have ever seen. :-) So far I am happy to to gave gone for the Carrara because I was thinking about Vue. I recently also bought the Hexagon. Which is a great add-on to create the models (does not do rendering). If you have the pro, then you might not need the Hexagon I think.

LCBoliou ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 12:44 AM

I have both Vue5 Infinite and Carrara5 Pro. Not a fair comparison in my non-humble opinion. Without going into a long winded dissertation on comparisons -- Carrara beats Vue hands down -- in application stability as well as having far more powerful 3D tools! You can do some very nice things in Vue, but it is still a beta product after being on the market for almost one year! If you use Vue in a drag-and-drop mode, and don't try much in the way of innovatively using the software, it works fine on smaller file renders.

I can do most of my modeling in Carrara (except for things that Poser does so well), and then render in an excellent Carrara scene that I create.

I've done some pretty complicated work, with Vue, but lost a lot of hair getting it completed.

Singular3D ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 3:01 AM · edited Tue, 10 January 2006 at 3:02 AM

Well, tried to order it and failed the first time. After filling out everything, they can say I cannot order the $399 sidegrade download from Austria. Found out later they have a European Store, where they sell it for EUR 399, which sums up to EUR 477 with the taxes. Sorry to say so, but this sucks. They do the same things like e-on. Why do we always get punished in Europe. I understand the taxes, but I do not understand why 1 Euro equals 1 Dollar. Wrote them an email and wait for the answer.

I plan to go to USA in March, so I will buy my copy of Carrara there, if I have a chance to do so. If not, then I have to skip the purchase. Sorry Eovia...

Message edited on: 01/10/2006 03:02

bwtr ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 3:31 AM

Singular3d--you are not alone! Here in Australia we are forced to buy--from several suppliers including Eovia--from Europe whereas if we could buy as the US$ price we save HUGE big bucks because of the better exchange rate. It really is bad marketing.

bwtr

Singular3D ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 4:05 AM

I wonder who sets these rules...

Pete_Exxtreme ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 8:05 AM · edited Tue, 10 January 2006 at 8:06 AM

Well as far as i've seen, some 3D companies do the same, some others not ! I.e Xsi foundation is USD495 in the US, while it's EUR499. In the countrary, C4D is EUR699, but USD695 !!!

Maybe a way for some companies to enter easier the North American market when lowering the price in USD ?????

Message edited on: 01/10/2006 08:06

obaeyens ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 8:36 AM

I had to buy in Euro's too. :-( I would have gone for the pro if I had the chance to buy in US$. Most software and hardware in Europe is far more expensive compared to te american version.

iloco ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 10:30 AM

Would you rather have 3-4 dollars cash in hand or see a lost sale because of people taking that money and buying other software at other places. I think I would rather have the money than loose it to another distributer and why these people don't see it this way is beyond my way of thinking. I was in business for 40 years and when customer came in I did all in my power to get some of their money and make them happy. Happy customers are repet customers. And Old saying which holds true is " You can only skin a sheep one time but you can shear him till he dies.: Something some people should think about. :)

ïÏøçö

HowieFarkes ( ) posted Tue, 10 January 2006 at 11:48 PM

BWTR - I'm in Australia too and everything I've ever bought from Eovia has been in US Dollars - not Euros. We can purchase from the Eovia Worldwide section of the store which deals in US$. FYI. Despite a bunch of disadvantages when it comes to online things here most e-stores just don't have it figured out for us Aussies so we get to choose which currency we'd like to purchase things with.

www.howiefarkes.com

Pete_Exxtreme ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2006 at 3:29 AM

oops my mistake : i meant Xsi Foundation in EUR 449 (not 499 !) otherwise my answer meant nothing :)) Otherwise regarding Iloco excellent words, i really feel like a sheep, but noone will get my skin... ba ba !!!

ren_mem ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2006 at 8:38 AM

Hey, I have sympathy. Frankly, taxes are a huge hardship on everyone.Nice to know the politicians have pensions and benefits. No one else in the US does.I only hope your education and medical care costs are better than ours :(

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

DaQuestioner ( ) posted Wed, 11 January 2006 at 12:16 PM

Out of curiosity, would it be worthwhile to have an American buy the software (in $), then mail it?

Singular3D ( ) posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 4:19 AM

According to the download page the download version of the software is licensed to the buyer. I also remember from Vue that a guy who used the US version of Vue4 in Europe (he had lived in the US before) couldn't upgrade to Vue5, because he lives in Europe now. So an upgrade to Carrara 6 might be a problem in future.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2006 at 9:53 AM

You could always have someone in the US buy it boxed for you and send it over. That way you also get a manual and pretty box. I know what you mean about trade overseas. They blame it on tariffs and export fees. But the ones blaming the fees are the ones imposing them too. Maybe we should export all the politicians to siberia, but I bet the tariffs would be too much. BTW C5 is awesome but does have some issues with volumetric clouds which supposedly will be fixed in the next update.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2006 at 11:34 AM

No manual in boxed version. Even if a download is licensed to a purchaser they should be able to transfer a license to someone else. Never heard of not being able to. The ESD just means the registration is automated. Altho...I sure didn't see what singular3D said anywhere.There is alot of information on those pages.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.