Fri, Oct 4, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: A "curvy" gradient fill question....

panko ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 7:09 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 6:32 AM

file_321313.jpg

Is there a way to make a gradient fill to follow a curve's contours other than cut and past and adjusting small portions --which can be a nightmare...? Like in the picture for example....

"That's another fine mess you got me in to!" -- Oliver Hardy

aprilgem ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:04 PM

I use layer styles for something like that. Whatever color you want in the middle of the object should be the main color on the layer, then use inner glow for the other color, and that's what will be on the outer edges. Set the options to taste. :)

panko ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:12 PM

A clever thing to do, aprilgem! I'll try that... Thanks a million! :)

panko ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:18 PM

It worked fabulously! You have no idea the amount of work you saved me from!!! I owe you one.... :) Thanks again! :)

aprilgem ( ) posted Wed, 25 January 2006 at 9:29 PM

No prob. :)

Quest ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:06 PM

You can also use the styles' bevel and emboss (inner bevel) and to top it off you can also throw in a texture for good measure. Another technique is to use the gaussian blur filter for a more subtle roundness on a dark background.

SeanE ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 5:14 AM

or you just do what I do and paint a flat base layer and then use the airbrush to paint the other darker outside bits... us digi comics guys face this hassle every single picture in some way or another :+P

aprilgem ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 11:29 AM

lol, SeanE. :) Easy for you to say -- however, not everyone is as skilled as you are with the airbrush. You can paint perfect rim lighting on a shadowed side, but most people can barely draw a straight line.

panko ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 12:01 PM

I tried all three techniques and they were all successful. I must admit though that, from my point of view, aprilgem's is the easiest, Quest's gives interesting results that can be exploited with certain types of curves, while SeanE's, as aprilgem correctly pointed out, requires stability of hand --which thank God I possess...:) Thank you all for your help.

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 7:48 AM

file_321314.jpg

Quest's gives interesting results that can be exploited with certain types of curves

Didnt quite understand what you meant by certain types of curves and it therefore seemed to me that we werent on the same page thinking that perhaps I misunderstood the original post. So to illustrate I offer these screen grabs.

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 8:03 AM

file_321315.jpg

As an additional note, as if that weren't enough ;) after using the gaussian filter you can amplify the effect by adding a multiply layer on top of it.

panko ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 9:42 AM

Ah, of course, now it's getting clear to me! Sorry, Quest, I was mislead by the "bevel and emboss" bit, and thought that would make the technique restricted to "certain types of curves", or situations, if you prefer. Thank you for the trouble you took to demonstrate the full potential of this move to me. I appreciate it a lot! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.