Mon, Sep 9, 7:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: OT - Hoping someone here knows what a folder named 'flexlm' is?

webmaster421 ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 3:25 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 9:39 PM

Hello all, I discovered something very strange on my system today. I have 2 hard drives. My 'C' drive is my secondary drive (long story how that came to be) and I store all my 3d stuff on that drive. Usually, I go to the 'My Computer' icon, choose the 'C' drive, then choose my 'Documents and Settings' folder, then on my user folder and then to 'My Documents' folder where all my stuff is. This AM, I went the same way, but when I got to where the 'Documents and Settings' folder is, it was gone. Took me a few moments to realize that the folder named 'flexlm' now contains it all. I don't understand where this came from. I searched the internet for any info on 'flexlm', but all I can see is that it's some kind of user software agreement? ANyone ever heard of this and why my stuff is now located in this particular folder? Thanks so much! Best regards...

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 3:48 PM

Most likely to be where the FlexLM license manager software by Globetrotter (now Macrovision) would store license files.

No idea why the original folder would get renamed, but I'd try renaming it back to what it should be.

ghelmer ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 6:35 PM

What 3d programs do you have?? That's a good start for figuring how the flexlm folder got there. G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

gezinorgiva ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 7:26 AM

Flex LM normally installs to C:FlexLM and would only contain license files for software that uses the FlexLM license manager eg Alias. Take every thing out of the FlexLM folder that should not be there. It is better to have your My Documents sitting by itself on C: and not in any other folder. This situation can happen if you install a second copy of WinXP(Pro) on a new drive (say D:).You just need to tidy everything up but be careful not to delete system files on C that are needed to boot.

webmaster421 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 12:38 PM

Thanks nruddock. It isn't going to be a matter of simply renaming the folder since my entire 'Documents and Settings' folders are now located in this 'FLEXlm' folder. I wish it could be that easy... sigh

Thanks ghelmer. The programs I use have all been installed ages ago and I have not installed any new programs.

Thanks gezinorgiva:
"Flex LM normally installs to C:FlexLM and would only contain license files for software that uses the FlexLM license manager eg Alias."
-->I have not installed any new programs. The only thing I have installed recently is a couple of products from Daz.

"Take every thing out of the FlexLM folder that should not be there."
-->Uggg... I have over 53GB of stuff in my 'Documents and Settings' folders and the hard drive is almost totally used up - only a few gig of room left over. I won't be able to simply copy and paste the folder back to it's original location now, so I am at a loss.

"It is better to have your My Documents sitting by itself on C: and not in any other folder."
-->Totally agree. In fact, I was under the impression that moving the 'Documents and Settings' folder at all is a big no-no.

[I suppose I should have mentioned that I am not referring to the regular 'My Documents' folder. I am using windows 2000 professional and I am the administrator so to get to my 'Documents' folder, I have to go to the 'C' drive. Then choose the 'Documents and Settings' folder (which is now in that darned Flexim folder), then on to my User folder, then to the 'My Documents' folder - whew! That was a lot of info! :-)

I do hope I am not confusing anyone with the way I am explaining this - appologies if I am...

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 12:54 PM

Post a screenshot or a listing of the folder tree (folders only), so that there is no room for confusion about exactly what is where.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.