Sun, Sep 15, 5:44 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Challenge Arena

Welcome to the Challenge Arena Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Challenge Arena F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 12 11:40 am)

Welcome to the

Challenge Arena

This forum is dedicated to learning, creating and pushing yourself to meet the
challenges that have been posted by other members of Renderosity.

Hope to see you here!

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Febuary monthly challenge theme

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 04 February 2006 at 11:06 AM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 5:41 PM

OK..lets be really original for Febuary, and think of Valentines day, but with a slight difference. "LOVE HURTS" I think that could be general enough to work for everyone, including hopefully the fractal artists. In a way it is a carry on frome the January theme, because didn't someone mention that hearts were deilcate?

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

zollster ( ) posted Sat, 04 February 2006 at 11:48 AM

i got 1 i'm working on. where do i post it and can i include nudity?

RimRunner ( ) posted Sun, 05 February 2006 at 6:02 AM

Zollster, we generally try to post the images here in the thread. Since yours may include nudity, what you can do is post a link to the gallery in your message ... that way those who don't want to view it can see that you've entered, but aren't 'forced' to view nudity... although there is the nudity option on the posts too.... So it's your call. :) Cheers.

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

netsia ( ) posted Sun, 05 February 2006 at 3:45 PM

I'm posting this short story that I wrote last year. It is based on an event that happened about 5 miles from my house. I sat and watched as the helicopters covered a standoff. When I saw the tight shot of this man crouched in the vestibule of a McDonald's, I felt so sad that he would die. He did, with a head shot. :( For me, this is truly a 'love hurts' story. **** the birthday locket 'I just wanted to say happy birthday, that's all'. As the tears rolled down his cheek, he looked into the eyes of the woman he loved and lost. He saw fear. 'I fucked up, I know , I just wanted to say happy birthday to my girl. He looked out through the window and could see their 17 year old daughter, looking in with pain written all over her face. 'I really messed up this time, I don't know what to do.' When he woke up that morning, he thought about his daughter, their daughter, and how bad things had gotten. He wanted to make things right, just wanted to try to put his family back together. His 2 boys, daughter and his only love. He looked over on the nightstand at the locket in the black box, a birthday gift for his little girl, except she was 17 today, a young woman. He was trying. He knew that things would never be the same, no more birthday parties. He thought back to when she was 10, they went to the mall and she had her ears pierced, his treat to her on her special day. The special days didn't last much longer, the fighting became constant between her mother and him. The accusations and the anger had worn him down, depression clouded his eyes, but throught it all he loved them. He put the locket box and card in his pocket and went to the fast food restaurant where his daughter and common law wife worked. He was hoping the gift would put a smile on his daughter's face, he didn't expect the events that brought him to this moment. He had walked in this morning, expecting to give her the gift, order some food and leave. That is not what happened. His wife became hysterical, she was moving on in her life and had no room for him. Most of the time she just wanted him gone, wanted a new start. Right now she was angered that he wanted to give her daughter a present. She did not want to share anything with this man, even their children. The manager, hearing her yell, came over and asked him to leave because he was disrupting the breakfast crowd. He did so but with a plan to come back. He went back to his house and started drinking. Not a smart way to handle this, he just wanted to be numb and the alcohol was doing that. The combination of anti anxiety meds and alcohol were lethal, on top of the depression and so he started a chain of events that would become the worst thing he had ever thought to do. He went back. Before he left the house he put the black gun in his pocket. That is how he found himself sitting on the floor of the vestibule with the woman who was his life. The woman who was moving on. 'You know I would never hurt you.'Looking out at the police cars surrounding the building, he sighed and then started sobbing deeply. 'She is my daughter and I love her, too.' He shook his head.'I just wanted to say happy birthday.' He put the gun down and looked at this woman and just wanted to hold her, to tell her he loved her. It was too late for that, they had been sitting for over 3 hours and he didn't know what to do. He wanted to pee, he wanted to take back all the hurt, on both sides, he wanted to give his little girl the locket. His body started shaking from the sobs, he was lost in this horrible moment that he had created and he just wanted to end it. He leaned forward to hug his wife, to show her he cared and missed her. In a split second, as he leaned in to kiss her, his body started shaking again and then he slumped forward. The sniper's bullet had pierced his brain. His wife looked down and started screaming. The gun, on the floor, was made of black plastic. It was a toy, he would not have hurt her. Next to the gun was a card with their daughter's name written on front and the little black box. They were covered in blood. mourningdove caller (c)2005

NeilV ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2006 at 12:49 PM

file_323848.jpg

Chohole(aka my Mum)said I should post a render in this challenge. so here it is:

Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair.

Ouch, you may be a fair prince but you are not a light one.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 06 February 2006 at 5:37 PM

Well, this one is certainly starting off with a florish! Netsia's story is sharp as a knife and anybody who has ever had their hair pulled can relate to NeilV's picture... ouch! Carolly

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 8:21 AM

file_323849.jpg

What a great start. I'll add one to the list. These two fruitworms look to have found a cozy little love nest, but the immature tomato from my garden seems to be the worse for it!

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

mplogue ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 12:15 AM

Hmm.... Interesting theme. I've got a couple ideas I'll have to try out on this one. Can't decide at this stage if I want it serious, or humerous.. I may have to do both! :)

VVDesigns ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 2:01 AM

file_323850.jpg

Thanks to a friend, I discovered Renderosity last night. Wow this is a great place!! It's so inspiring to see all the different styles and techniques from fellow artists. : )

As for the contest this month, here is my submission. The theme "love hurts" made me think of the feeling of your heart hitting a brick wall and breaking. (Created in photoshop CS2)

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 2:54 AM · edited Fri, 10 February 2006 at 2:54 AM

Welcome indeed VVDesigns. You will find Renderosity is a very friendly place.

And dare I say, welcome to the challenge arena Neil, without being accused of nepotism.

Neil has only recently started to create images, having discovered Daz studio all by himself. He used to take the micky out for me and my "arty-farty" programs, so it is nice to see him get creative! :-)

Message edited on: 02/10/2006 02:54

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 8:11 AM

Welcome Bobi. Looks like you are jumping right into things! Nice Photoshop work! =]

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 11:05 AM

file_323851.jpg

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 1:21 PM

You rock Richard! MAS4EVA! Super entry!

Onslow ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 1:39 PM · edited Fri, 10 February 2006 at 1:41 PM

Thank you Kort :) Something a bit different from my usual - been messing with it a while.

Message edited on: 02/10/2006 13:41

Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 1:45 PM

Keep pushing those limits mah man!

VVDesigns ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 2:07 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and nice comments. : ) Bobi

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 3:17 PM

file_323852.jpg

Love hurts ... your ears! My daughter playing drums with some pots and pans.

VVDesigns ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 3:24 PM

Classic and oh so true! Great photo. : )

mplogue ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 10:17 PM

file_323853.jpg

Well, here's my contribution. I had a lot of fun doing this as it pushed me to try something a bit different. I'm glad I found this forum, not only as it helps me to improve, but it gives me a chance to see some of everyones wonderful work. Thanks!

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Fri, 10 February 2006 at 10:35 PM

file_323854.jpg

Some really cool entries so far! Like seeing what everyone is comin up with! Ok...here's my try! "Hurt so good Come on baby make it hurt so good Sometimes love dont feel like it should You make it hurt so good" John Mellencamp's song...just seemed to fit with this one I came up with tonight! L8r! Joe

zollster ( ) posted Sun, 12 February 2006 at 9:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1156194&Start=1&Sectionid=1&filter_genre_id=0&WhatsN

posting a link instead of the actual pic cos it contains nudity

scoleman123 ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 10:24 AM

file_323855.jpg

This be my entry. its almost the exact same as the one in my gallery. i changed the angel of the camera and the wings a little bit. Love Hurts, Cupid Arrested on Manslaughter (That what he gets for shooting people with arrows)

facebook.com/scoleman123

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 11:44 AM

This is turning into another month of great responses to what I thought would be a tough theme. I can't choose a favorite and the challenge isn't over yet!! Good job, everyone. :)

SndCastie ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2006 at 8:26 PM

file_323856.jpg

She stands alone this valentines day Wishing her love wasn't so far away So she'll hide her tear's and fear's And just hope he will be home someday.

Love Hurts

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

chohole ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 11:07 AM · edited Tue, 14 February 2006 at 11:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1157370

file_323857.jpg

Love hurts when you have grown up together, thinking it will always be the same, thinking he liked you as a tomboy companion, and what happens.

Some flighty bit of stuff moves into the vicinity and he reckons he has been struck by cupids arrow.

Cupids arrow huh! I'll give him cupids arrow, right where it hurts. Link is to a higher res version.

Message edited on: 02/14/2006 11:08

SndCastie ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 11:55 AM

Beautiful image Chohole and must say great turnout again this month :O)

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

cynlee ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 4:49 PM · edited Tue, 14 February 2006 at 4:52 PM

file_323858.jpg

*"when you walked into the room, there was voodoo in the vibes.. me into you you into me me into you i am so into you"* -Atlantic Rhythm Section

Love Hurts (OlympusC5050, 02/13/06)Message edited on: 02/14/2006 16:52

netsia ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2006 at 10:18 PM

red roses opening blooms in a crystal vase on the table gift the night before Valentine's Day a token of love opening my eyes at the sound of ringing red roses make me smile phone message steals the heart brings tears later in the day a trip to the florist to order red roses a token of love and sorrow to be placed upon my mother's grave red roses **** this Valentine's Day, it has been 6 years since my mother's passing....they say time heals....it hasn't yet

tresamie ( ) posted Thu, 16 February 2006 at 9:26 PM

file_323859.jpg

Broken Hearted

Fractals will always amaze me!

Fratley ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 8:50 AM · edited Fri, 17 February 2006 at 8:54 AM

Love hurts unless of course
Youre an insensitive man
In which case Valentines Day
Is the only day you might give a damn?
For when you spend all year being mean
Your honey your wife or queen
Might be quite put out
As any insensitive man will find out
When his spouse gives him the cold shoulder
And try as you might flowers, chocolates and a kiss
Just will not be enough to make up for anything
If you want to keep her
You will have to do much better
A compliment might not go amiss
But still its not enough to stop
What youve got coming to you
My only advice is where a cup
And men what you should learn is to treat her right
Or love is truly going to hurt
And not all of it is going to be physical
And for the tough guys out there just remember
That when she breaks up with you the pain is mostly mental
So the moral that I am trying to teach is treat her right
Cause love is temperamental
And if she blows boys you had better run for the high hills
Or she may just batter you senseless with her high heels.

Youll have to forgive me but until its posted it always sounds good lol Message edited on: 02/17/2006 08:54

zollster ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 9:09 AM

good poem fratley

dialyn ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2006 at 9:11 AM

I love the fact that so many writers are posting...if you look at the thread, with the images and the words, you see how they complement each other.

Onslow ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 7:23 AM

This month is the first time I have ventured into this forum and challenge - great to see all the different artists and writers side by side. Superb entries - keep them coming :)

Edward Lear

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 11:18 AM

That is the wonderful thing about this forum. You get all sorts of art, all sorts of interpretations on a theme. It's terrific fun, but makes it oh so difficult to select a winner. It's really good to see the response we have had for the last couple of months or so. Some of us have been working hard to get this forum recognised as one of the best (if not the best) forum on rend, and it does seem that we are getting there. Keep up the good work! Message671422.jpg

NeilV ( ) posted Tue, 21 February 2006 at 1:12 PM

file_323860.jpg

"Why her and not me"

as this was still open I thought I would sneek another Image in.

SusiQ ( ) posted Wed, 22 February 2006 at 6:20 AM

Love hurts when it crashes and burns ------------------------------------ Deep, dark sadness washing over my soul. The one I loved has gone, The one who'd made me whole. My heart has splintered terribly and shattered into bits Lightness no more to live in here My love has called it quits. So now I sit upon my chair alone as you can see No more to share my broken soul Is the only way for me.

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 23 February 2006 at 2:20 PM

file_323861.jpg

**"This is gonna hurt me more than it hurts you...** Sometimes we have to discipline those we love. As a parent, I can truly say that it does hurt us more than them...at least in the long term. Wonderful entries by the way. =]

RimRunner ( ) posted Thu, 23 February 2006 at 2:31 PM

Voting to start Saturday Morning. So get those final renders/poems/stories/picture/monetary donations/Bribes ok, maybe not those last couple. ;) But get those entries in before the voting starts.

RimRunner ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 8:13 PM

Wow.. Saturday morning came and went.. and voting hasn't started. :/ Well, hop to it. ;) Going to be a very difficult choice again this month!

mplogue ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 8:26 PM

OK... I guess I'll get things started. Tough choices again, but here's my picks.... #1 - TwoPynts (spanking) #2 - netsia #3 - Onslow Good luck everyone!

Onslow ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 8:33 AM

What a difficult thing to do and I have no expertese in any of these genres, less in expressing emotions. So forgive me if I have not chosen your entry. I think that all the entries are special and unique expressions and deserve an honour for that alone. So well done to all who posted here. 1. mplogue 2. netsia (red roses) 3. tresamie

Edward Lear

NeilV ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 10:12 AM

lots to choose from ????? 1- Chohole 2- Mploque 3- Sndcastie

netsia ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 2:44 PM

1-Onslow 2-VVdesign 3- mplogue great entries and difficult choices

Gog ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 5:52 PM · edited Sun, 26 February 2006 at 5:59 PM

Bummer, missed the deadline, but some great work in here,

my votes go

1st to l8rdaze
2nd to Onslow
3rd to Netsia

Message edited on: 02/26/2006 17:59

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

tresamie ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 9:03 PM

Wow, lots of very good entries! It was so very difficult to choose, I thought every entry was a winner, but here are my votes: 1st - chohole 2nd - mplogue 3rd - Onslow

Fractals will always amaze me!

Fratley ( ) posted Sun, 26 February 2006 at 9:35 PM

presuming that everyone gets a vote 1) SusiQ 2) TwoPynts 3) Chohole

SusiQ ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 12:13 AM

There are so many talented people here. well done to all the entrants. #1 Mplogue (Your different really worked. Very emotive picture. You can see an incredible story behind this on!) #2 Netsia (Red Roses, very sad yet beautiful) #3 Onslow (stunning picture!)

Copyright S.R. Hulley
Chin up, stay strong! Hugs!

chohole ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 2:25 AM

1....Netsia (red roses) can really empathise with that one. 2....NeilV (Rapunzel) a great entry from a total beginner. 3....Twopynts (drummer) I know that feeling as well! ;-) So difficult to pick out just 3

SndCastie ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 2:35 AM
  1. Onslow excellent image 2. Twopynts remember those days when my kids were young 3..VV designs love the heart smacking the wall :O) been there at times.

Sandy

SndCastie's Little Haven

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 8:05 AM

1 - Onslow (12) 2 - cynlee (27) 3 - L8RDAZE (20) I hope you don't think I'm being too photo-centric, but those did speak to me the most. Lots of amazing entries though.

L8RDAZE ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2006 at 8:13 PM

1 SusiQ 2 Onslow (12) 3 TwoPynts (37) Great stuff all around! Seein' what everyone has come up with based on the theme is really somethin to see!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.