Mon, Sep 9, 5:15 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Experimenting with PhilC Face Putty

BastBlack ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 11:18 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 1:56 AM

file_325360.jpg

I ran Face Putty on M3 in the Pro Pack. It's a python scipt. My machine is old and slow, so it took awhile between each move, but the results are pretty good, imho. Nothing beats magents when it comes to smooth reshaping. The copy morphs to left or right was really helpful. I'm thinking about doing some really crazy stuff with it, such as creating faces that have been punched, or when cheeks are blown back during high speeds or high winds. LOL. ;p Anyone else try it yet? bB

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 11:39 AM

That's looking really cool, bB. I'm probably going to pick up PhilC's tool pack this weekend. Can you export your morph work as an .obj to re-use on the figure?

semidieu ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 12:09 PM

I'm also interested in this... Hope there will be more examples...

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 2:39 PM

bast, is there a list of supported models? can't find it on phil's site. are Miki, James, Judy and EJ supported?

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net/PoserToolBox.htm

operaguy, its not really a case of "supported figures". I included over 70 Face Putty control cages to get you started. These pretty much cover all the popular figures. If your particular one is not there instructions are included on how to adapt one to suit. This is as simple as finding a close fit, repositioning and scaling. It does not need to be vertex perfect. If you have difficulty just drop me an email and I'll run you one up. Its about a two minute job. You can even make your own custom cages. Plainly put you wont be stuck for the want of a control cage.

I've also included a tool called Vertex Magnets which will effectively allow you to use the Face Putty technology anywhere in the body.

Face Putty and Vertex Magnets are just two of the many tools in the Poser Tool Box.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

operaguy ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 4:52 PM

Thanks Phil, Credit Card in hand.

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 08 February 2006 at 8:14 PM

Heh. From opening Phil's newsletter announcing it's release to clicking thru to checkout with it was about a 90-sec process - the decision was practically a "no-brainer" BRILLIANT set of tools!

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 5:21 AM

I've just purchased the PTB. The main drawcard was the Face Putty. Started using it, but find it grinds my system to almost a halt once the control cage is loaded. I loaded it up for Miki, and once it was on, then the cursor became virtually unresponsive. I had to wait for about 30 seconds between keystrokes (i.e. when using the translate tool to move nodes on the control cage). The instructions say to make everything invisible except for the head and neck. I couldn't find a quick way of doing this. Any help appreciated on this. I've got a fairly powerful PC, and performance is rarely a problem for me with Poser.

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 5:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net/PTB_tutorial3.htm

file_325361.jpg

I recognised that speed would be an issue with the higher polygon figures so I made sure that the Face Putty tool could be customised to suit. If you only need to puttify the front of the face you can easily create a custom control cage. You will probably find that you only need 30 nodes compared to the full compliment of 97. See details in the tutorial at the link.

To quickly make body parts invisible go to the figure utilities section. In this instance select the hip and click "Hide Me + Children" then select the neck and click "Show Me + Children".

Other tips are to work in smooth shaded display and have no more than three lights in the scene.

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 6:11 AM

Thanks, Phil. That has been helpful to a point, but it still struggles. For M3, I have created a custom control cage, as per your mini-tut, and it has reduced it down to 27 nodes. I've also hidden everything except the neck, head and eyes and also reduced the scene to one light. The response is a bit faster, but I cannot say by any means that I have control of the nodes. It seems to respond (slowly) to the first couple of node translations, but after that it chokes.

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 6:50 AM

file_325362.jpg

I found that small deliberate movements worked best. I've not experienced a lock up though. I use a reasonably spec'ed machine but its nothing over the top. Another idea I have not tried yet, (its just occurred to me), is to use half a cage then use the mirror morph tool. Still looking at it though.

Incidentally I turned the bending on for M3's eyes it looks like they are off by default.

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 7:23 AM

Yes you are correct, small deliberate movements seem to work better. It's less than ideal, though, still quite slow. How do you mean when you say that you turned the bending on for M3's eyes ?

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 7:31 AM

With the eyes selected I went to the Properties tab. There I noticed that the "bend" box was not selected and therefore the nodes had no effect on the eyes. I made the selection and the nodes then influenced the eyes. It was just an observation.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 9:49 AM

This looks to be very useful. The Array tool, which automates repeating a prop, looks as though it could make a big difference to working with some models I've been importing -- Lightwave meshes for tanks, which use lots of copies of the track-segments. The same for the wheels. Rationaizing a morph also looks to be very useful. It's an issue I said something about a long time back: Poser uses a lot of decimal places, which can be a very small "real" distance, down to a ten-thousandth of an inch. Since the deltas are for a morph-value of 1, and there can be some rounding errors and other noise when working with an external mesh editor, you can end up with a lot of useless detail. If the cage was designed to fit an already-morphed character, how would that work out. Or could I make a cage aimed at working on a particular morph? For instance, little_dragon's Furrette characters; could I make a dedicated cage to make a more equine nose, concentrating on the nostrils?

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 3:26 PM

I'm still not satisfied with the performance, its still too slow for my liking. So, any further tips to speed things up would be appreciated.

JAFO ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 7:28 PM

i bought the toolkit today , im also experiencing slow performance( i have a 1ghz amd with 1gb ram waiting for new p4 to be delivered } im very satisfied with the program regardless of the slow performance . compared to the time it takes to manually do these modifications this program is supercharged. i will use this program to rough in modifications that will be finalised in rhino i expect it will save me many hours of labor. the thing i like most is that when i had a question {twice} i emailed PhilC and got a reply from him within minutes....thats something you dont see every day i find it faster to click on the node i want and then double click the parimater dial for the direction i wanr {x-y-z axis} and entering the co-ordinates the mouse slows the process considerably. Thank you PhilC for a very usefull product. JAFO

Y'all have a great day.

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 09 February 2006 at 10:56 PM

I have a P2.8 with 512 MB RAM. I find its slow to the point of interrupting workflow. Furthermore - to me, at least - clicking on the node and entering values in the parameter dials defeats the purpose of it being "putty".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.