Sat, Aug 3, 8:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 02 3:21 pm)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: distant landscapes?

Singular3D ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 6:35 AM · edited Tue, 30 July 2024 at 8:58 PM

Found a fantastic image in the Terragen gallery. After looking at it for some time, I realized that I could do a similar thing in Carrara by making a similar terrain and tweaking the shaders. What makes the Terragen image special though is the haze of a real atmosphere, which shifts the color of distant mountains to blue and blurs them slightly. This gives an extraordinary feeling of depth.

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1164755
http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=1161439

How do I achieve such results best with Carrara 5 Pro?

Any hints or tutorials available?

Thanks for your help in advance

• Walter

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 7:49 AM

file_329016.jpg

Just rendering a landscape from the wizard shows C5Pro does have this haze. Click on 'scene' in the components tab, choose 'realistic sky', click edit. By rendering a distance Gbuffer (which is translated strange in this version) you could do some distant blurring in post, but keep it extremely subtle, otherwise your landscape ends up looking like miniature.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 7:50 AM

file_329017.jpg

This is the result...

Singular3D ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 10:19 AM

Thanks Hoofdcommissaris, this was exactly what I was looking for. Purchased C5 Pro last week and I'm still stumbeling through the manual. The number of features C5 Pro are almost uncountable and so it's hard for me to find specific information. But anyway, I really love that program! best regards - Walter

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 12:39 PM

You can also increase the dimension in the "scene corresponds to" box. In english units I like to set that at 5, 10 or even 20 miles.

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 3:16 PM

You know somebody should do a tut on gbuffers. It comes up alot and I don't think some people utilize them well in post processing.The manual doesn't really explain alot about them. For instance I created a gbuffer. In gimp and photo elements it looked kinda normal. In fireworks it looked different...almost transparent. Didn't try corel pp. It doesn't appear to output layers and just one image. Are you supposed to select one option per render and save that individually then composite it in layers.Just the whole process and usage would be good information.(Several programs output multiple layers w/ different info on it in one file...which is easier)

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

nomuse ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 4:19 PM

Yes...I've rendered several times with Gbuffers. I turn on the ones I think will be useful, and render as PSD. When I open the result in PhotoShop I have a stack of black-and-white layers that can easily be turned into alpha channels for comping, mats, adjustment layers, or whatever. I even once used a distance layer as a bump map on a texture I was building!

ren_mem ( ) posted Sat, 25 February 2006 at 9:40 PM

Yeah, I see the info now. Corel PP picked up all the channels. Would be nice if the names were more identifiable tho all generic names.I think how to utilize the different maps and channels would be good information tho.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.