Fri, Oct 4, 12:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Poser 6 - Optimal Hardware Config Suggestions Please?

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 8:37 AM · edited Wed, 14 August 2024 at 7:55 PM

Hello, I just reformatted my OS hd and am wonder about swapfile size and such to better my Poser experience. Here's my setup... Athlon XP 2500+ (2ghz) 1.5 GB PC 3200 DDR Ram 30gb 7200rpm Maxtor Internal HD(OS and program files) 40gb 7200rpm Maxtor Internal HD(SwapFile and small amount of storage) 160gb 7200rpm Maxtor Internal HD(Poser 6 only) 160gb 7200rpm Maxtor External USB 2.0 HD (Storage Only) MSI KV7 something or another mainboard 333mhz FSB GeForce FX 5600 128mb AGP video card (negligable as doesn't help rendering) Rest of hardware standard and doesn't affect Poser-ing! So what I'm wondering is an optimal swapfile size... I have mine set min & max to 2500mb and it's basically on it's own on a drive with some never touched crap being stored there (so I suppose I could just burn it and delete...) WinXP PRo suggests a swapfile of 2406mb. Is there an "OPTIMAL" size or config that would really make Poser 6 go "BAM!" in a good way? Are there any benefits to those memory optimizer programs out there? Might that be a way to help things? I defrag weekly and run check disk monthly so I just want to see what I can do to see some better rendering times etc. Also I know my rig is borderline ghetto but I can't justify to myself upgrading at this time as all my components serve there purpose and I really don't want to get BACK into the habit of constantly upgrading my pc everytime there's a slight hiccup in the system or something new & shiny comes out... :( Thanks!! I look forward to any input on this!! Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 8:43 AM

Forgot to mention that I'm running XP Pro all service packs up to date and P6 with SR2. Thanks! Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 1:01 PM · edited Tue, 07 March 2006 at 1:01 PM

Let Windows handle the swap file size automatically. I'm sure that the programmers that wrote the logic behind that know more about Windows' memory management than all Renderosity members together.

Message edited on: 03/07/2006 13:01

lmckenzie ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 1:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.sysinternals.com

You might want to hop over to sysinternals and grab their pagedefrag utility. Defrag utilities don't usually defragment the paging file since it's in use normally. I haven't tried it myself but it may eek out a bit more performance for you.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

ghelmer ( ) posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 6:49 PM

Thanks lmckenzie! I'll check pagedefrag out!!! :) G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.