Thu, Oct 10, 2:15 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: .pz3 files have no icon

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:05 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:47 PM

My .pz3 files have no icon and under file properties, where it says "opens with", there is no program listed. I clicked "change" and couldn't find Poser 6 in the list of programs, so I navigated to Poser 6 (in the "properties" interface) and chose "Poser.exe", which is supposed to make Poser 6 the program of choice and give all .pz3 files the Poser 6 icon, but it won't "take." Everytime I try to choose Poser 6, it fails to be added to the list of programs. Is this a Windows XP problem or a Poser problem?

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:14 PM · edited Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:15 PM

You need to get the SR2 update at e-Frontier. I had that same problem and SR2 fixed it.

Message edited on: 03/17/2006 15:15

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:25 PM

I have SR2.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 3:32 PM

In that case I don't know then. I wasn't able to associate the .pz3 or .pzz files to a program until I installed Poser 6 SR2 update, and then it was fixed. Perhaps download it again and reinstall it.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 9:56 PM

Is it an association problem or an icon problem? If you double-click on a .pz3 and Poser runs then the association is OK. in Windows 2000 - don't know about XP, there's also a separate button for changing the icon.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

LonRanger ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 10:11 PM

Well...the association is connected to the icon. Whatever program is recognized by Windows as the program that opens a specific file has its icon as the icon for that file. All my .pz3's had that generic Windows "non-icon". When I clicked on the icon, nothing happened. (Well, nothing happened at first -- now, unfortunately Windows has chosen to associate my .pz3 files with Adobe Acrobat for some reason and I can't get it to unchose it and get back to the generic Windows "non-icon.") :o

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 17 March 2006 at 11:08 PM · edited Fri, 17 March 2006 at 11:14 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=2520885

> Quote - (Well, nothing happened at first -- now, unfortunately Windows has chosen to associate my .pz3 files with Adobe Acrobat for some reason and I can't get it to unchose it and get back to the generic Windows "non-icon.") :o

That's exactly what was happening to me. Installing SR2 and the other updates fixed it for me.

Are you sure you have the SR2 patch and the rest of the updates installed?

Here is the thread that I posted when I was having troubles. Message edited on: 03/17/2006 23:14

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 12:16 AM

Attached Link: http://www.jmadden.info/WindowsHelp3.htm

Yeah, I was hoping it was some kind of quirky icon problem since you didn't mention whether app launching was working or not. You might try whichever of the two methods listed in this link you may not have tried to fix the association. Beyond that, it's going to be either reinstall time or edit the registry key directly to set the association. Since Acadia's experence seems very specific, it seems more likely to me that your's is somehow related. You might try reinstalling the service pack.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

LonRanger ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 1:24 AM

OK -- I'll give it a try. Thanks. Any known issues with un-installing and re-installing SR2?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 1:31 AM

Why not just reinstall both Poser 6 and the updates?

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 7:07 AM

Have you uninstalled a previous version? Mine did that when I uninstalled Poser 4. The actual .pz3's work, they just didn't have an icon.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

LonRanger ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2006 at 11:40 AM

Yes -- actually, I just did uninstall Poser 4. And the .pz3's work when I open them in Poser. But I can not open a file by merely clicking on it anymore -- I have to open Poser 6 and then open the file in Poser. I haven't had time to re-install SR2 yet -- I will post my findings when I have time.

Francemi ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2006 at 9:14 PM

PZ3 can be associated to Poser but personnally I prefer to have them associated with WordPad as when I want to look at the "inside" of the file, to know what it contains, I open it in WordPad. And when I want to open it in Poser, I can either open it from inside Poser or select OPEN WITH. All my Poser files are associated with WordPad: camera, character, hand, hair, pose, props, material, etc. I sure don't want them to launch Poser each time I want to examine their content. ;o) I also rendered a 91x91 png image of all pz3 I have so I have a thumbnail for them too in my explorer (in P3dO Explorer to be more specific).

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.