Tue, Oct 22, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: resizing

george_c ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 1:09 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:21 PM

file_337096.jpg

the gallery upload site says Art images should be GIF or JPG format only. The full image should be between 100 x 100 and 4000 x 4000 pixels and be less than 512 KB in size. The thumbnail image (if supplied) should be between 50 x 50 and 200 x 200 pixels and be less than 15 kb in size so when starting with the following settings(see picture) reduce size in ps7 and still have an 8x10,when i try the pictures allways end up real small and the thumbnails really small

archdruid ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 1:33 PM

Ummmm... when you save in jpg, a menu should open up, allowing you to set the information density, which controls the "Data" size... 512 Kb, etc. The Physical size, is indeed controlled in image size, but you can resize it after you're satisfied with it. one thing that always kicks the File size up, is layers.... save your original first, THEN "Merge layers". Probably, by the time I get back, somebody will have answered you better, but I'm going to try. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

archdruid ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 2:10 PM

ok.... when you save in jpg... like I said, you'll get a menu that'll control file size... you'll see a slider that goes from 1, (Left side), to, I think about 12... this'll let you adjust... one thing you can do... save to desktop first, then minimise, and "properties" the file... if it's "small" enough... You've got it... you CAN, of course, edge it up a bit, to get better resolution when it's displayed in the gallery.. that's up to you. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 4:14 PM

Just go to File > Save for Web and click the 2-up tab and play with your quality slider on right side or you can click the Optimize Menu and select Optimize to File Size and type the file size you want.

ghostypalebeauty ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 4:24 PM

file_337134.png

umm yeah if you could please help me out...im a little new at photoshop.......so yeah 😕

nattarious ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 7:50 PM · edited Thu, 06 April 2006 at 7:51 PM

Hello george_c... Here what you have to do.. No matter what your posts are, i mean graphics or photography.. the best way to save your pic.. Don't use the GIF format.. first it will reduce your colours from 32Bit to 256K MAX!!! and that means you will loose alot of your details and it will be so crappy.. So lets start fist with the post.. Well the size as the rules or the Rosity site mentioned are right.. When you finish your work or art (POSTWORK) don't use the: *SAVE or SAVE AS from your Adobe Phoshop 7 File Menu.. But... From the same menu... Little down you will see: *SAVE FOR WEB... option.. Make sure that you choose that one and do the following: 1- I use CS2 if i remember right in v.7 it will be on the riight side.. Choose the file format.. I think the default is GIF and set it to JEPG. 2- Put your quialty on the MAXIMUM and look down on the left (ON THE STATUS BAR) from the SAVE AS WEB.. opoed up window.. You will see the Size of your pic after choosine the quality.. 3- If the size if > then the mentioned also in the same menu on the right it should shot 100% on the maximum settings.. reduce it abit.. and look again down and see the differece.. 4- I Prefere to save your work at (HIGH) and that should change the compression from 100 to 60 now do 70 and save it any where you want! The surprise is: It is special method of saving a very highly optimized web pics with special compressions methods. and it won't loose quality!! even tho you chose MEDIUM or LOW!!! Now about the THUMBNAILS.. do this Your post either vertical or horizontal right! 1- If it horizontal then leave the Constrain Proportions option checked as you show on your first post.. and set the width to 200 then automaticaly it will change the hight ofcourse to the auto settings.. 2- If it vertical then the hight should be 200 and the width will change to the right settings.. 3- Goto the filter menu and sharpen and sharpen one time, becasue when you change the resolution to that small size it won't be that clear.. Oh well you will see the differece.. 4- To save your thumb again use: SAVE FOR WEB.... and choose the midum and make sure it is again JPEG and less then 15Kb on the status bar.. if it is too way below the 15Kb then you can choose the high and see.. That is all.. Save it and you are done.. Your posts will be optimized, fast loading, Sharp and clear.. NOTE: Don't use the SAVE FOR WEB option on your original files.. You won't be able to get the original quality ever.. So make sure that you working on a copy that you will post or will do anyting with it but not the original.. So now i can tell you. Thank and best regards.. And hope that i helped you enough.. JOE

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® OFFICIAL WEBSITE: WWW.XOOM-ARTS.COM

XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS® Ultimate Web Templates Just Click It

george_c ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 9:04 PM

wow thank you think i can stop going crazy now

nattarious ( ) posted Thu, 06 April 2006 at 9:40 PM

You are very welcome george_c i really hope that helped.. Much regards and respect JOE 😉

NATTARIOUS[C] IS A WELL KNOWN INTERNATIONAL CLUB DJ - PHOTOGRAPHER - GRAPHIC AND COMMERCIAL DESIGNER AND THE OWNER OF XOOM STUDIOS PRODUCTIONS & CERTIFIED LEGAL GOLD MICROSOFT PARTNER!

tantarus ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2006 at 11:44 PM

One more small add to all this info. When you finish with youre work, SAVE the layered version and then go to image - duplicate and make the copy. Next close the original file, then flatten the layers in copy by going to layer - flatten image. Also if you have alpha channels DELETE them because they are not afected by flattening. Now you can save for web, 60% is usualy more than enough to commpres the file just fine. When you making the thumb its not necesary to fit the whole image in 200x200px. Create new 200x200 document, choose the area of the picture that will be the most intriguing for viewer. Next drag and drop the whole image in 200x200 blank document and place it to fill the whole canvas with the choosen area, finally crop the image and repeat the flattening and save for web procedure :) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

nattarious ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 10:55 AM

WOW! tantarus... yes in fact i forgot to add that... Your work should be saved three times if you are really a pro.. 1- Your main output shot from the camera.. as is.. 2- Your layerd work... in PSD format or similar photoe editor 3- And the last or third copy is with that method i gave you before for the post.. Thanks again tantarus.. That was the most important info or point tho.. hehe JOE

ghostypalebeauty ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:18 PM

O.o umm ok thanks i guess....😊

george_c ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:25 PM

yes thank you, for all the help

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.