Mon, Sep 16, 10:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: Hexagon 2 for 2 $ ?!

Eisbaerchen ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:20 AM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 4:30 PM

hi, maybe this is the wrong place for posting this or someone posted it somewhere before...but I think, this really is interesting ;)

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4222&cat=272

Irish ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 7:28 AM

I think it's a fabulous offer!!  I am downloading it now (as is everyone else!) so it's very slow but I have always been interested in this program and for $1.99, I just couldn't resist.I

If you belong to Daz's PC Club, you can get it for $1.99 right now.

:)

iloco ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 8:09 AM · edited Fri, 28 April 2006 at 8:09 AM

ROFLMHO.............Daz has gottena lot of the die hard biased Vue people downloading Hexagon now.
 Remember the ones who were throwing off on Evioa and its products so much. 
Guess the shoe fits better when the price is cheap. :)

ïÏøçö

RyanSpaulding ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 8:29 AM

Bah. Platinum Members Only.

-Ryan Spaulding
 VueRealism.Com

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:06 AM

Darn - download is very slow (can't imagine why!!!).  31 hours?  I could drive to Utah faster...  Will wait till later to try the download.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Dale B ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:25 AM

Only an idiot doesn't take advantage of trying out a potentially useful software package at full functionality for $1.99. Whether or not it lives up to the hype from the Eovia dfb's is another matter. If not, you're out 2 bucks. If it's worth it, you have a new tool for the box. Of course it seems to have pissed off a good segment of the loyal Hex followers who pony'ed up the $$$ for pre-order, and the deal still leaves them out a far larger chunk of change than the DAZites who just happened to be there.

GPFrance ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:39 AM

Hello, Peggy, Ryan ! Weell... 2 $ for Hexagon 2, plus 30 $ for Platinum, 32 $ isn't too expensive, I think, for example comparing to 109 $ when I bought Silo, and the promised free update to version 2 still is overdue. Wonder why their server is soooo slow ? 330 megs is not quite lightweight, and I think that about half of the posers and non-poser is trying to download that, right now. Including me ;-)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:16 AM

Didn't there appear, in another thread here at R'osity, a mention of someone who dl'd this Hexagon thing, and wound up with that crummy .exe virus that seems to be infecting DAZ products?

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 1:17 PM

I pre-ordered hexagon 2 and I can't wait to download it after the rush has passed.

Daz basically refunded the pre-order with a voucher at their store.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 1:36 PM

,,,HEH! We are getting a TASTE of the DAZ Marketing MACHINE again!  DAZ runs FULL PAGE color ads in professional game magazines offering FREE DAZ Studio and FREE V3-M3 models... (where other are selling  $80,000 software)...

Be very AFRAID e-frontier and e-on... be VERY AFRAID!!! 

(Thanks Crazy Dan and Crazy Chis for really giving the 3D software market a really WILD RIDE.)

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 2:53 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2645490

WARNING!

Before you go rushing off to buy......

See the above link. It might save  you a lot of problems if you wait a while and monitor the situation..

Cheers,
Diolma

petshoo ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:48 PM

Wow! 2 bucks! Who could resist? Not me, LOL! It's clever marketing, because a lot of people will subscribe to Platinum only to get Hex2.

However, don't fool yourselves, this also means that no more development will ever go into Hexagon. This product is technically dead - which makes sense considering DAZ is primarily a content developper: better kill a product with a bright flash than let it fade slowly to grey like they did with Bryce. At least they learnt from that. Carrara is probably somewhere on the list too.

Should e-on and e-frontier worry? I'm not sure. They aren't in the same business. DAZ doesn't have a clue about software development, and they're smart enough to admit it. But this certainly doesn't mean that other software developpers should stop working their a**es off to improve the tools we love! Let's face it, I'll be the first to get Vue 6 when it's released! :-)

My 2 cents :-/

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:21 PM · edited Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:26 PM

Wait until DAZ offers DAZ Carrara for $49.95 as a Poser Cross-Grade!

And PC members will get it for $1.99!!! (Will that help drive new members to the Platinum Club- or what?)  And then all the other bundles, deals, etc.

...and then there's the Bryce 6 upgrade for PC members for $1.99 !!!

As for software development-- that why they bought EOVIA. DAZ now HAS a software development- programming staff to fix Daz Studio, Bryce, etc. DAZ has already stated that the Eovia programmers are going over Daz Studio, right now, to rev it up!

LMcLean ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:34 PM

Quote - Wow! 2 bucks! Who could resist? Not me, LOL! It's clever marketing, because a lot of people will subscribe to Platinum only to get Hex2.

However, don't fool yourselves, this also means that no more development will ever go into Hexagon. This product is technically dead - which makes sense considering DAZ is primarily a content developper: better kill a product with a bright flash than let it fade slowly to grey like they did with Bryce. At least they learnt from that. Carrara is probably somewhere on the list too.

As an user of C4D, I was going to buy Hegagon for it's sub-d painting, but what is the future of hexagon anyways? Does this mean nothing beyond Hex 2? Did Daz buy Evoia or just Hexagon or Hexagon and Carerra? This is the craziest news I've heard since Autodesk bought Alias.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.eovia.com/company/releases/57.asp

***Q. What did DAZ acquire?
***A. DAZ Productions (www.daz3d.com) acquired Eovia Corp. based in Mountain View, California USA, and the Hexagon software and technology. The acquisition includes Eovia’s North American Headquarters and Eovia’s 3D modeling, animation and rendering software, Carrara. Additionally DAZ has acquired the Eovia Hexagon 3D polygonal modeling software and technology from Eovia Europe, S.A.  DAZ Productions has not acquired Eovia Europe, S.A. or Eovia Europe’s Amapi Software.

***. Will DAZ support all Eovia products?
***A. DAZ plans to continue to fully support and develop Carrara and Hexagon, and the plug-ins that work with these applications. Technical support for these products will also remain uninterrupted via email at support@eovia.com for the time being.  Any changes in support contacts will be communicated at a later date.

Q. Will the company(s) change locations?
A. DAZ Productions will remain in Draper, Utah, and the Eovia Corp. office will remain in Mountain View, California.

Q. Any changes to management?
A. The DAZ management team will remain intact. Key member of Eovia Corp.’s management, marketing and software development teams based in Mountain View, California, will join as employees of DAZ and work from the Mountain View office.

Ringo ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 9:24 AM

What is simple means is that Carrara will just dominate the market. ;-)
The entire development and marketing team of Eovia USA  is now working for DAZ from the MountainView offices and they will continue to develop Carrara as before. Carrara remains the Flagship application under DAZ and Hexagon 2 will also be develop. The future is very bright.

RingoMOnfort
Longtime user of Carrara and Hexagon.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 1:30 PM

Well- I am Pragmatic about all this- I still plan to buy Vue 6 Infinite when it comes out. Vue is still a great program and I'm not going to abandon it. I also think its technically better than Carrara...

However- If DAZ makes getting DAZ Carrara really cheap and easy- then I will most likely buy it too as a member of their Platinum Club. I bought Bryce 5 about a year or so ago when it was just $12.50 for PC members- how can you pass that up? (I use it to transfer Bryce models over to use in Vue.)

I also just bought Hexagon 2 for $1.99--how can anyone pass up that deal? (And I don't even do any modeling-  but I'm sure I can find some use for it at THAT price...)

The party that will be MOST HURT in this DAZ deal is e-frontier! I am certain that DAZ will incorporate into DAZ Studio a LOT of Carrara elements- and also position DAZ Carrara DIRECTLY AGAINST Poser- making very attractive "Cross-Grade" offers to win over the middle part of the Poser user base who is looking for a good Poser-like program to render their DAZ stuff in...

Rendernoise ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 2:28 PM

I bought the Platinum Club membership this morning $29.95), turned around, bought Hex2 for $1.99. On the second dl attempt, the file came down in under 5 minutes.  It is now intalled and running on an AMD 64 machine, under WinXP64 Pro (no virus detected, nor suspected).  This is a great deal by any estimation.  As a Vue user (new), this is be a no-brainer of a purchase. A modern modeler with paint/UV capabilities, if only Vue can implement a displacement/normal map function.  If Vue doesn't have this in 6, then Carrara/Bryce/Hex/Daz Studio team will be growing market share at the expense of E-on.  I still prefer the looks of Vue's output (I don't have Carrara), but E-on has a wake up call here.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:23 PM · edited Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:25 PM

For $1.99, people will just download Hex2 and try it out for a few minutes.  Then go back to their regular modeling tools that they've spent  more mony on and are a lot more familiar and comfortable with.  Hex2's instability will shine through and turn a lot of people off on their first try.

I think e-on will be Daz's next target.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

iloco ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:28 PM

I hope you are right SHONNER. :)

ïÏøçö

gannon ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 4:23 PM

If you join their Platinum club for $29.95 and then download Hex 2 for $1.99, are you still locked in to their $7.95/month for 11 months membership or can you immediately cancel the Platinum club membership? TIA

gannon

thundering1 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 4:45 PM

Bought some DAZ stuff before - liked it.
Not a Platinum member (and not gonna be) so I'll just wait a while for things to settle down and maybe a small patch/update for the virus I keep hearing about. I'm one of the mororns not going to jump at the $2 price tag - for some reason I don't have a problem waiting and spending more for this.
Was seriously thinking about $500 for ZBrush - so I don't mind at ALL shelling out $200 for Hex2 for organic modelling.
Yeah, e-on had better move quick before DAZ takes over - hopefully the purchases by ILM will give them huge production feedback they can use to make a significant jump because I really love the Vue interface and layout, and the tools for atmo, lighting and rendering.

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 4:52 PM

Quote - If you join their Platinum club for $29.95 and then download Hex 2 for $1.99, are you still locked in to their $7.95/month for 11 months membership or can you immediately cancel the Platinum club membership ?

AFAIK you can cancel at any time.
If you want to join again you pay the $29.95 again for the first month.

Rendernoise ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 6:56 PM

mororns? Come on, no name calling.

thundering1 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 9:22 PM

See - I can't even sepll it ryte!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.