Fri, Sep 20, 12:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Aligning vertexes

1DanK ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 11:05 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 5:41 AM

I keep running into what seems like a common need and wonder if someone knows how to do this. 

When you make a vertex object and then duplicate with symetry, it is good to have all of the soon to be welded vertexes perfectly aligned on the plane that will bring the two halfs of the object together.  Rather than go through the hundreds of vertexes and make sure they are all at say y=0, you should be able to select them all and make all of them have y=0.  Of course, you would not want to change the x or z values when you do this.  Then when you go to weld the two objects together, the welding process won't cause the new vertex to move to some value other than 0.   

nomuse ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 1:55 PM

Here's what I do: I drag the object until the seam is as close as possible to the Y plane (I realize I could also select several verts then move the plane there, but I like this way). Then make a marquee around the verts I believe need to be welded. Perform "move to drawing plane." Now I have all of them absolutely flat along the Y-plane, and I am lined up on it; I can duplicate with symmetry and weld with a very small setting. One thing I haven't figured out a neat way to do is when pre-mapping. I've been doing above, dragging the map for the "left" side into a corner, duplicate with symmetry, drag the map for that into another corner, weld the two halves, then go into the UVmapper and flip one map and join the split verts. Not really neat.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 2:28 PM

Attached Link: Align vertex movie (3.7M)

You can check out the link if you want to see what nomuse is describing. Mark

1DanK ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 4:29 PM

Great tip.  I saw the "move to drawing plane" command but never thought to use it this way.  It works great.  I use the duplicate with symetry command all the time but must admit I have yet to figure out what drives the axis it duplicates around.  Seems confusing to me.  Sometimes it works just like I expected and other times I end up with the duplicate on the wrong axis. 

Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.