Sun, Oct 6, 4:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Preparing a photo for making into a brush

mystmaiden ( ) posted Sun, 04 June 2006 at 7:55 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 2:24 PM

file_344198.jpg

I'm not Really obsessed with brushes today.. (well maybe a little) but I found a stock photo of this great tree and I want to make a brush from it. However, I'd like it to have some sort of soft edge.. rather than the hard edges of the photo. Or maybe just a brush of the tree itself. I've no idea how to do the later, I've never worked with layer masks, but from the thread I read a few minutes ago that sounds like it might be the way. Here's the photo. I'd love to hear your suggestions on how this might be done, or suggestions of where to look for tutorials that might get me there. 

Thanks

Myst 

mystmaiden ( ) posted Sun, 04 June 2006 at 8:08 AM

file_344199.jpg

I really need to get some sleep.. because I am answering my own posts again. I was fiddling around just now.. and I wanted to show someone my very first brush. I just painted in with white the areas I didn't want to show, then added a layer and painted it in with white and reduced the opacity a great deal.. and came up with a brush of the tree. Its not a great brush..but I did get one made. I'd still Love to hear your suggestions for making a good one

Myst.

deadman67 ( ) posted Sun, 04 June 2006 at 6:30 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2650390

looks real good i just started to make brushes here's my first brush i made scroll down to the first image thats the brush the other was used in a image.

mystmaiden ( ) posted Sun, 04 June 2006 at 7:21 PM

Deadman 67

love the forest brush! very nice! I was able to clean up the one I made a lot after working on it some more but I still think theres got to be a better method than theone I used for picking one element out of a photo and making it a brush I'm going to keep reading and experimenting

myst

Ofthepast ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2006 at 5:43 AM

What you want to make is a matte, not a brush. A matte will let you re-color, re-light, and manipulate just the tree.

Ofthepast ( ) posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 2:30 AM

file_344424.jpg

Here's a quick example of what I mean by making a matte. This is the source image:

Ofthepast ( ) posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 2:57 AM

file_344425.jpg

And here's the matte:
  1. Take your source image, and go the the Channels window.
  2. Select the channel (Red, Green, or Blue) with the most contrast between the tree and the background.
  3. Duplicate Channel....
  4. Use Curves to make the duplicated channel black and white (white what you want to keep, black what you want to remove). You can use any other tool to remove unwanted areas like Brush Tool, Lasso Tool, Paint Bucket Tool, etc.
  5. Use Filter > Noise > Dust & Scratches... to remove unwanted specks.
  6. Ctrl-LMB on the duplicated channel, when you're finished, and go back to the Layers window. Select the Background layer, and hit Ctrl-j to duplicate only what is selected into a new layer.
  7. Layer > Matting > Defringe a few times to clean up the edges.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.