Sat, Sep 7, 8:57 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 7:13 am)

Subject: Poser 5 smoothing edges of my prop objects.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 9:00 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 12:55 AM

I keep having the trouble of Poser  5 smoothing the edges. I'm using Anim8or and am trying Wings 3D (I can't afford to purchase any modeling programs at the moment) and every time I import the objects (wavefront.obj) all of the sharp edges get smoothed to where they loose any type of definition as a sharp edge. Is there any work around for this or could it be that Poser handles vertices and faces differently. Example is load the box primitive in poser then import a cube from either Anim8or or Wings3D and look at the difference. Now if you use the Poser 4 render option you'll see that the Poser box keeps its' sharp edges whereas the others loose theres'. I'm currently in the process of making some large shuriken type weapons like the ones used by Yuffie FF7 character but they all come out with smoothed edges when imported into Poser. Any comments, suggestions or even thoughts on this would help me out greatly.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 9:43 PM

turn off "smooth polygons" in the object properties pallette

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 10:56 PM

file_344819.jpg

Thanks nimrod89, I have tried that but still get the same results. The image shows the Poser box in the center and the Wings3D box on the left(left side of image) and the Anim8or box on the right side. You can see how the edges seem to smooth out instead of keeping their sharpness.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 11:29 PM

Now that I see the pictures, it looks like more of a shading problem than a geometry one.

Try setting your specular color to black and the highlight size to 0.125 and turn down the light intensity also.

• Roni

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 11:42 PM

Before you export from Wings3D, select all edges and right-click. Click on "hardness", choose "hard", and then export. For more complex models, obviously, only select the edges that you want to be hard.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 1:28 AM

nimrod89: thanks again, I will give that a try.

R_Hatch: I did try using the edge hardness in Wings3D and still got the same result.

I did try importing the Poser box prop object into Anim8or and Wings3D and then export them to a temp file. I then imported the box objects back into Poser and they retained their sharp edges. So I have no idea if it's a shading problem or the way the programs create their geometries.

kirwyn ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 3:48 AM

The six sides of the Poser box are not joined together.  This is why it can render the box with very sharp edges. I'm not familiar with your modeling program, but in mine, if I want to separate a single object into two or more objects, I select all the polygons of the part I wish to separate and select extract.   The object is now separated but no parts were moved.  I can now shift-select each object and export them out as one object.  When imported into Poser and rendered, the edges along the separate parts should now render sharp.  They should also render clean, without any dark smudges on the surface areas.  I believe this is caused by Poser's built in smoothing control which distorts or warps what should be flat facets.  Another way to lessen this rounding effect of edges is to split the polygons nearer the edges of a single object.  It all depends on the model and how sharp you want your edges to be.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 9:15 AM

kirwyn: Thanks for the suggestion. My prop objects where one solid connected object. I was unaware of  that  aspect of the Poser primitives. Again many thanks for everyones replies and help. 

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 9:40 AM

Attached Link: http://mystic-nights.com/poser/tutorials/onsite/Poser-Props/dark-artifacts/dark-artifacts.html

You can also solve the problem of dark artifacts and shadows by using UVMapper and Split Vertices. I put together a tutorial on it here.

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 11:05 PM

Mystic-Nights: Thanks for the tutorial, I guess I missed it before. I have UVMapper classic and it just didn't occur to me to do that. Again many thanks as it will keep me from going insane.:biggrin:

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 11 June 2006 at 12:28 AM

welp, all the good answers have already been given..so I'll just lurk on this one..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.