Sun, Sep 15, 6:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Totally OT, but I have a strange problem with my ISP

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 12:45 PM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 2:52 PM

I have my broadband and land line from a little company in UK called BT. Yesterday my land line went down.......totally zilch, even when plugging the phone straight into the first socket in the system without a broadband micro filter, and yet as you can see I am still able to use the adsl side of the line.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this?

Of course BT cannot fix the problem till at least Tuesday, even though they admit the fault is probably at their local thingy.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 2:24 PM

Haven't heard of it.

But if you have certain important people u (need to) call often and you want to avoid probs with phonelines u could use a voice over ip program. That way you can call people over the internet. An additional benefit is that you won't have to pay for the time ur on the phone.

Only thing required is that both people in the conversation have the program on their computer as well as (obviously) having a mic hooked to their computer.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

chohole ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 2:52 PM

Yes I have been looking at 2 options offered by BT.

With one option you actually get a 2nd phone line, but one which you use on your PC, with a 2nd phone connected through a router. With  this option you pay for phone calls, but they offer good rates, far cheaper for international calls than the option I have at the mo.

The other is as you state, but you can only talk to people who have the same.

Decisions, decisions.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 4:49 PM

word of caution.    A very big consideration when going to voice over  is total failure of outside communication when power fails.

Land line phones tend to work when all else fails.  I have the unfortune to live in rural area that is prone to occassional power outages.  Outages have sometimes lasted as long as 14 days when hurricane or an ice storm has struck. How can u report power outage without phone service?  Cell phones are a help.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 7:47 PM

when power falls u still have ur cellphone ;-) or in my case, 2 of 'em.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 5:47 PM

I'd second the celly option. In some places, those are now cheaper than land lines. (Not to mention they're nice for people who haven't quite settled down to one place yet.)

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 3:45 AM

Ofcourse a cell also means u're on standby 24/7 so dont forget to turn it off or on silent mode at night 'cuz it aint fun when someone from the other side of the world calls u outta ur sleep just to go "oops, sorry, I picked the wrong name outta my phonelist. I didn't call u outta bed did I?". Ofcourse u could tell 'em "nah I'm still in it." but it doesnt get u ur sleep back hahaha :tongue1:

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

TheBryster ( ) posted Mon, 19 June 2006 at 7:47 AM
Forum Moderator

With BT anything is possible. Just don't forget that they used to make £100 per second PROFIT in the 80's which was something like the most any brit company ever made at the time. I think the phrase 'rip-off' was coined with the BT in mind.

(Posted through IE6)

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.