Mon, Jul 8, 2:51 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 07 7:10 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Sexist programmers ???

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 4:38 AM

Quote - And if you could use a mechanical device to take matter appart and then re-assemble it in another location, could you not also manipulate the reassembly to 'improve' the matter's original assembly

Ummmm can I get a couple of those devices on lay away?

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 1:35 PM

Quote - > Quote - Perhaps there was some genetic trait in common that allowed this since, in the Star Trek mythology the universe had been seeded with common genetic material.

They didn't interbreed. With the help of a team of a dozen scientists, Spock was created thanks to the help of invitro fertilization and genetic engineering from genetic material provided by his mother and father. They were not capable of naturally creating a healthy child.

According to a recorded interview between Gene Roddenberry and Sarek (Mark Lenard) for the recording Inside Star Trek released in 1976, Sarek does not deny impregnating Amanda and hints at how they were able to over come both the physical and mental "challenges" to do so. Further Sarek describes the process that allowed Spock to survive to term:

Roddenberry: "And Spock was the result. The first Human-Vulcan mixture."

Sarek: "No, not the first. But the first to survive. As you must know, an Earth-Vulcan conception will abort during the end of the first month. The fetus is unable to continue life once it begins to develop its primary organs. The fetus Spock was removed from Amanda's body at this time--first such experiment ever attempted. His tiny form resided in a test tube for the following two Earth months, while our physicians performed delicate chemical engineering, introducing over a hundred subtle changes that we hoped would sustain life. At the end of this time, the fetus was returned to Amanda's womb. At the ninth Earth month, the tiny form was again removed from Amanda, prematurely by Vulcan standards, and spent the following four months Vulcan term pregnancy in a specially designed incubator. The infant Spock proved surprisingly resilient--there seems to be something about the Earth-Vulcan mixture, which created in that.. tiny body.. a fierce determination to survive."

What happened after the final 4 months is suggested in a "flashback" brought on by Sybok in Star Trek V The Final Frontier which shows Sarek and Amanda going through Spock's deilivery in a cave. Sarek, upon seeing his infant son for the first time says "so human..." There is some debate over whether this is a real memory or a false memory created by Sybok.

Quote - > Quote - Must have been the Universal Translators that were frequently seen in episodes and were often mentioned.

Yes, it was the translators.

Of course it was, else I wouldn't have said so! :tt2: An image of a hand-held Universal translator used in Start Trek TOS, along with facts about it's invention and use can be found here at Memory Alpha, which is a Star Trek Wikipedia. You will find the earliest Universal Translators could only be used for ship to ship communication. Kirk was seen using a hand held translator when speaking to the "Companion" in the episode Metamorphosis. In STNG, Voyager, and DS9 Universal Translators were integrated into com badges. The Universal Translator sometimes required several hours to analyze a language before it would work and there were several languages it was unable to decipher at all.

Live Long and Prosper //_ 😉

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 2:15 PM

Attached Link: Spaced Out

file_346610.jpg

What you really need to hear is "Spock" singing "***Put a Little Love in Your Heart***" -- as well as "Captain Kirk" singing "***Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds***"!

No universal translator is required in order to understand the lyrics.  But you might need to pay a visit to Sick Bay after you've listened a bit..............

Oh, yeah......be sure not to miss "Music to Watch Space Girls By".  It's just the thing to cure those politically correct blues!

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 5:48 PM · edited Tue, 27 June 2006 at 5:49 PM

You will find the earliest Universal Translators could only be used for ship to ship communication.

And only works nearby an UFO, if the aliens are too far away, no telepathy only body language!

Stupidity also evolves!

xoconostle ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 8:43 PM

Anyone remember Grace Lee Whitney as Yoeman Janice Rand? Of course you do. Chess set beehive ... her mere presence made Kirk act ... sexist. :-)

Anyone remember Grace Lee Whitney's 1975 45rpm single "Disco Trekkin'" and its b-side "Star Child" ? Hm, probably not, unless like me you bought it at a convention as a (very) young science fiction enthusiast.

Oh, and who could forget...?

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 9:47 PM

Wow....it's been a while since a thread here hurt my head to understand.  :m_think:
And, yup, I read the whole thing, LOL. 
Stac needs to get her whip back ta crackin', William's back in the forums playing!!  *just kidding, William :D *

Maybe :m_toocool:

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 9:47 PM

Attached Link: The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins by Leonard Nimoy

I promise -- you've never seen a video like this one.  Unless if you've seen this one, of course.

You'll need Quicktime.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 27 June 2006 at 9:51 PM

@ MorriganShadow -- watch Mr. Spock sing The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, and you'll probably need an ice pack on your head at least.  Or perhaps some morphine to ease the pain.

JenX ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 5:46 AM

Quote - @ MorriganShadow -- watch Mr. Spock sing The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, and you'll probably need an ice pack on your head at least.  Or perhaps some morphine to ease the pain.

You know....I just woke up.  You really are out to get me, aren't you!!  :m_shocked:

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Seren ( ) posted Mon, 03 July 2006 at 2:52 PM

Quote - Grammatically speaking, It is more correct to say "his" than "their" (as their is meant only as a plural pronoun), and it is still considered by most english professors (male and female) to be less awkward to say he, him or his when referring to an unknown gender rather than he/she, him/her or his/hers. Additionally, the US is one of the very few cultures (tho not the only one) in the world where some people consider it sexist. It many cultures, > Quote - That's pretty much old hat nowadays. Perhaps in a very nit-picking grammatical way it might still be true.  However to use the male gender as the norm is very old fashioned and extremely insulting to women.   This isn't just in the US but in the UK also.  'Their' is the only satisfactory way to say it in English, which is the language we use. 

Visit my website: www.caryb.co.uk                                                              

ynsaen ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2006 at 3:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Grammatically speaking, it is not proper in current langage to use him as a general pronoun in american english.

It was, once, in all fairness. Now, however, it's pure and unadulterated bullshit. Especially the reinforcment involving professors.

Renderosity has an ingrained culture that has always denigrated women. This isn't something new, isn't something special. It's so deeply embedded int he internal culture that even the female staff is accepting of it.

Sensitivity training is for wimps, ya know, so they'll have none of that.

Ain't gonna change any time soon.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Shadowdancer ( ) posted Sat, 08 July 2006 at 10:06 PM

Sorry, but there is no such language as American English, despite what Mr Gates & his cronies at Microsoft, it's just another dialect.

ynsaen ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 1:54 AM

Also incorrect.

What do you think a dialect is.

Mutually intelligible, same root and primary sources, but still a language.

There is differentiation in English, and I haven't even gotten into the creole's or the sub-dialects within each of the main differentiations.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

modus0 ( ) posted Sun, 09 July 2006 at 4:36 AM

"You can please some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Somehow, that quote seems remarkably appropriate right now.

I still say the programmers should remove all gender-specific words from the ebots and replace them with "it's".

That way, you don't have one gender crying discrimination, because both genders are being discriminated.

And then we can all bitch about the asexual ebots and not being able to tell what the gender of a person here is (not that it's obvious who's male and who's female anywhay).

:tt2:

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.