Sun, Oct 6, 6:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: OT: Any old Dragonlance fans out there?

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 10:45 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 7:49 AM

I know this is very off topic, but is anyone an old Dragonlance fan? If so, here is some incredible news, there is a Dragonlance movie on it's way! It's going to be an animated film, though unfortunately, not CGI.

However, it is going to be drawn by the same team that did the recent Dragonlance comic books, and those were pretty well done.

If you are interested, there is an official movie site located at www.dragonlance-movie.com.

Again, I know this is really off-topic, but I am sure there must be a few "inner geeks" out there in Poserland. I just wanted to share the good news with those who care.

If you have never been introduced to Dragonlance before, pick up a copy of Dragons of Autumn Twilight at your local bookstore. The Dragonlance Chronicles, of which that book is the first of the trilogy is some of the best fiction ever written. (Personally, I prefer those books to any others I have ever read. I've read the trilogy multiple times, as well as other trilogies in the series.)

Let me just say, before anyone wonders, I have zero affiliation with anyone involved. I am just one of the many rabid DL fans who is overly excited about this film coming out. I'm really hoping for a successful run on it, since if it is a hit, they will continue to make more!

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 11:05 AM

eh up!
hmmm this could be good.. tho who's gonna do raist's voice I wonder....
as to the books.. the first 3 were good. but the 2nd Trilogy.. the Twin's trilogy.. now that was awesome...

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 11:37 AM

Yeah I love the Legends series as well. I love anything with Raistlin in it really. I actually became a bigger fan of Mina in recent years though (War of Souls, and Dark Disciple series.)

As far as voices, there are only 3 defined so far. Goldmoon has been voiced by Lucy Lawless (of Xena fame) Micheal Rosenbaum (Young Lex Luthor on the Smallville t.v. series) will do Tanis, and Tass is being done by Jason Marsden (who I admittedly know nothing about.)

The official movie site is supposed to be updated as information is released, but since there are 5 seasons between now and the movie release, I'm sure there is quite a bit still to be ironed out. It seems like this has been in development all of this calendar year though, so there may be quite a few details already mapped out.

See, I knew there were other DL fans out there!

tivao ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 2:19 PM

I'm a massive Dragonlance Fan and yes I loved anything that has Raistlin in it. I'm not sure about  an animated movie though. If it were CGI I would probably give it a look.

Then again you never know, it might actually be well done.

destro75 ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 3:01 PM

Yes, I know, the lack of full CGI hurts a bit. However, they are saying it will be a hybrid of 2D/3D, so I assume there must be some CGI involved, which is quite interesting.

Have you had the chance to check out the comic? It was made by Devil's Due Publishing (http://www.devilsdue.net/) From what has been said, the same company that created the art for these comics is doing the art for the movie. I collected each issue of the comic, which was a 6 issue miniseries following Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Let me just say, the art was fantastic. It wasn't the sort of comic style you would associate with The Smurfs. The rating they are targetting is PG-13, so there should definitely be an edge. If you have a chance, check out the Devil's Due site and look at the Dragonlance comic art. It's really great stuff.

(I hope I am not angering anyone by posting this up here. I know it it so way off topic, but I am just really excited about it, and I figured there would be people around here who were old-school DL fans who have been away for so long, but would be honestly interested in hearing about this.)

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 3:14 PM

hmm sounds like the same method used for Titan AE : 3D backgrounds with 2D animated Characters...
worked quite well in Titan AE...

CobraEye ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 4:08 PM

This is very good. I wanted this to happen for years to come and now it has begun. I just started reading the twins. Glad to hear they are even better.

Neyjour ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 7:49 PM · edited Wed, 28 June 2006 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for the heads-up!  Going to check out the link in just a min.

I love DragonLance!  They were some of the very first Fantasy books I ever read.  I have a large collection, but my absolute favourites were the Chronicles... Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.  I also remember really enjoying the Legends as well.  Those are also by Weis and Hickman.  😄 

I was totally in love with the cover art for those as well!  My copies are from the mid 80's with art by Larry Elmore.  Actually, all the cover art for the DragonLance books was pretty cool.  😄

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

Pedrith ( ) posted Wed, 28 June 2006 at 8:02 PM

You just made my whole month :)

destro75 ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 5:22 AM

Glad others are so happy to hear about this! One thing about this film that was already stated, it will be about Dragons of Autumn Twilight, but if successful, will determine the viability of making further movies!

There is a thought that it doesn't mean just the rest of the Chronicles, but ALL of the Weis and Hickman series! Legends of the Twins, Dragons of Summer Flame, and the absolutely fantastic War of Souls trilogy! (If you haven't read the War of Souls trilogy, I HIGHLY suggest them. After that, a series Margaret Weis is currently penning, of which two of three are already released, is the Dark Disciple trilogy. I won't ruin any storylines by telling anything here, but if you have yet to check them out, and are a DL fan, pick up these books. You can definitely see the maturity in the writing with these.)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 1:18 AM

Quote - I know this is very off topic, but is anyone an old Dragonlance fan?

I'm over 820 ... is that old enough?

I never liked all the aspects of the Dragonlance setting, but it gave us tinker gnomes, gully dwarves, and the Kender, so I was willing to cut it some slack.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.