Mon, Sep 9, 7:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 5:10 am)

Subject: Vote For August's AOM

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 9:58 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 5:43 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13193

It is photography this month...go get your votes in. The selections are awsome and this will be a difficult choice.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 10:14 AM

Yes, it's true, is a very dificult....

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 11:15 AM

Tough choices, but it is done...for me at least...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 3:48 PM

Ditto - very difficult, but chose mine. Good luck to all!

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

vlaaitje ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 1:41 AM

I agree with it.....very difficult but I chose.....and I have no secrets if this is allow to publish here....I chose for mayday142's gallery a very talented artist.....!! But all others are great too.....

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 8:29 AM

May's gallery IS truly amazing...but so much of that is not photography...I wonder if that should be a factor... The the excellent quality of her photographs negates that, so never mind. ;] A wonderful selection of some amazing artists. I am honored to be included among the nominees.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

girsempa ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 4:24 PM

I'm glad to see that our young talent Kai is nominated too... One of the most promising young photographers (talk about young!!) I have seen lately. That being said, I won't vote though, I just think that's not up to me...

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

Margana ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 1:52 PM · edited Thu, 27 July 2006 at 2:01 PM

Firstly,I'd like to congratulate all of the nominees.Indeed,they are some very fine galleries.I just have to take umbrage with one issue.On the voting page it says:

"The nominee's gallery should have fairly recent postings to it."

I guess 'fairly recent' is subjective.Personally,for me,I think anyone nominated should be an 'active' participant in the photography community and have posted to their gallery at least once in the last month or so,(barring illness,etc.).It just doesn't seem fair to me that someone who hasn't uploaded in over a quarter of a year is being nominated,when there are other equally talented artists here who contribute more  to the gallery and the community as a whole.

JMHO.

And PS-I don't mean me,lol.

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

girsempa ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 3:25 PM

Marlene, that was one of my thoughts too... Someone who has only posted three images since October...???? (that's 9 months, people!). And another one who has only posted 18 images this year...???? Anyhow, that's one of the reasons why I won't even bother to vote, I'm sorry... If you want a serious vote, give me a serious selection... My condolences to the other nominees ;-)

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 4:50 PM

Interesting points, I hadn't considered that. Valid though and I hope they are addressed.

vlaaitje ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 11:57 AM

mmmm I didn't know...Interesting points I must agree with it....I didn't look when they uploaded the last time......sorry.....I will check it now.....but where are the answers or some explains from DB or Push here then? Danob is not around.....Maybe they can explain a bit more.....

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 1:19 AM

Artist of the Month is highlighting a talented Renderosity artist that has been nominated by mods and admins, and voted by the community. Recognition is given to this member for their collection of works for that year.

Since we only select one AOM per month, it is not about their works for that particular month. Instead, it is about highlighting a talented artist's works for that year, and they are recognized during that month.

To learn more about Renderosity's Artist Of The Month [AOM] award, and to view our past AOM's, please visit the AOM 2006 page, which can also be found on the sidebar under Highlights.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Margana ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 2:04 AM · edited Mon, 31 July 2006 at 2:17 AM

But...AOM for 'photography' comes up only once  per year.So regardless of the wording...for all intents and purposes,this,to those that are part of the photography community,is quite frankly,Artist of the year.

Am I wrong?

Last year,when this vote came up,I didn't even know about it.I was doing my thing...happily uploading and in la-la land.But now I am more aware...And I see flaws in this system.I hope you don't mind my mentioning them...I only seek to improve things here...and of course,no one has to listen to me.

It's just that I have seen when other AOM's have come up...and I have even looked at all the nominees work.But I never voted...And I will tell you why.I have zero (!) idea about any of those media and/or what skill it takes to acheive their images.So aside from saying to myself,'Oooh that's pretty',my opinion,I think, is useless.Without technical knowledge,how can I ever fairly or adequately judge anyone's work?...So,if you follow my train of thinking...and you agree with it, there is a flaw happening here.People that know little or nothing about a given field are voting and nominating...And I think it's wrong.I think  the best case scenario would be for each specific gallery to nominate their own candidates and then vote on their own 'winner'....

Now that,I think...

...would be a most worthy accolade.

JMHO..once again. :^/

Marlene <")

My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 9:05 AM

I more or less agree with you Marlene, except that by bringing in other, non-photo RR members to vote, then certain group favoritisms might be balanced out with impartial voters. I don't neccessarily think you need to be proficient in a medium to be able to tell the good from the bad, you just have to know what you like. Just my 2. =]

Margana ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 11:27 AM · edited Tue, 01 August 2006 at 11:29 AM

Regarding group favoritisms...I can see your point.,and I must agree,it should balance things.I'm just not sure if it actually does.

As to  the lack of proficiency,and being an adequate 'judge',I only have my own experience to draw upon.But what I have learned,is this...When I first began here,I thought I posted some really good shots...thought I knew what was 'good',etc...But now,over a year later,I see many flaws in that work,and my eye is more critical,due to my own accumulated experience with taking pics,photoshop,and viewing the works of many of the fine artists,here.Now I see many things I never saw before,like oversharpening,oversaturation,poor focus,poor cloning,etc.

So all I'm basically saying is,yes anyone can say,'Ooh that's pretty",but unless you have some experience in that field,I think you cannot ,in all fairness,be an adequate 'judge'.

Marlene <")

My Blog

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 2:49 PM

"So all I'm basically saying is,yes anyone can say,'Ooh that's pretty",but unless you have some experience in that field,I think you cannot ,in all fairness,be an adequate 'judge'." LOL, true Marlene, but it is the community voting for who they best think exemplifies a certain medium and is not like competeing for cash prizes or true professional recognition. I doubt anyone outside the Renderosity would give too much (a little maybe) credence to wether or not someone was AotY - Photography category.

Margana ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 3:02 PM

LOL and there,I absolutely agree with you...

...but then again,that may be all the recognition they ever get...  ;^)

Btw,I don't mean to be argumentative.I hope no one is taking offence at my musings...I am simply speaking my mind...in the hopes of open discussion and possible improvements to this site.

For instance,let's say,we wanted to have our own gallery nominated/gallery voted 'photographer of the year'.Couldn't we do that? I would wait until the end of the year,but I think it might be nice.We could nominate someone,someone could second the nomination,etc and then we could vote at the end of say,a one week or two week,(whatever),nomination period...It's just a thought...

Marlene <")

My Blog

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 4:00 PM

Congrat Kimmers!!! :thumbupboth:

kimariehere ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 5:24 PM · edited Tue, 01 August 2006 at 5:32 PM

Thanks Kort! and thanks to all on here.. I dont think i deserve it though there are many better on here than me  i have put my heart into it but i have alot to learn  had a shot up today to say thanks but didnt feel it was gallery worthy so took it down

I am on vacation right now at my Moms . I am dreadfully embarressed here. My moniter at home got stolen i have been using a dinosaur of a moniter at home. my work lookes good on that moniter now that i am on my moms comp with her huge moniter and new flat screen i see all kinds of stuff like over sharpening and other stuff and wonder why i was even nominated.  inderstand what you arer saying marlene you are my friend on here and i seriously take no offense. just please dont hold it against me . i am not going to worry about at all. but needed to say thanks to all who supported from the bottom of my heart

there are others that deserved it more than i did...i am still new with a little pocket cam and a BAD moniter .. i will keep learning and grow and hope i can prove myself in the future to have earned it. ( teary here)

ok i will shut up now..

i am deeply humbled and honored today

i love you all

kimmer

kimmers ♥ :O)

Margana ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 6:23 PM

"But now,over a year later,I see many flaws in that work,and my eye is more critical,due to my own accumulated experience ..."

I'm sorry,Kimmie.I was actually talking about myself,so I truly do hope you are not offended.Most of my early uploaded  work here was/is  rather awful...I was just saying that I didn't know it,then...

Anyway,that's all I was trying to say,regarding that...My apologies for the misunderstanding...

I think I will shut up now,too.  :^(

Marlene <")

My Blog

kimariehere ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 7:01 PM · edited Tue, 01 August 2006 at 7:15 PM

awee dont be sorry

i shouldnt have said anything here

lol after almost 40 hours of no sleep and traveling i need to get some rest and get the heck off my moms comp here in mich ...

ever not sleep for a while? and get disoriented ?... lol the world gets to be a blurry confusing place

so much emotion here seeing my family and the house that will be torn down for a golf corse  soon that has been in our family for generations.. and a bit overwhelmed and really suprised about the aom thing  in shock really ....

too much for one day  lol... zzzzz

love to you all

kimarie

ps i just got my new slr cannon in the mail in california as mike as home ( he didnt come with me and the girls ) -so mike said it came today  ...GOD i wish i had it here in mich !

kimmers ♥ :O)

bentchick ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:53 PM

Well, if I could just slip in my two cents worth...... I'd have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the way things are and, yes, there is always room for improvement, like our own artist of the year, like Marlene pointed out, But ..... I think of this as an art community..... there are seperate catagories that some excel in and there are programs that I don't know diddly squat about, but we are not "seperated". When we open up the "galleries" we have a opportunity to see "all" the works uploaded. We can comment on any one of those images we like. We can admire the time and creativeness that a person has put their heart into any medium they've chosen. Why not let everyone participate????
I, for one, have uploaded more then one catagory in my gallery and there are several others I know that do too. Should we be restricted to "what we can upload"? Restricted to "one" medium????
I saw someone post a comment somewhere about people having seperate galleries, but I disagree, I think a multi-talented artist should post their multi-faceted creativeness in one gallery! Let us see "all" their talents! I think it gives a nice variety to their gallery and a break when needed to help one from getting stale, or bored!
As for Kimmers............ I love her style and her stuff is very popular at the moment and so she should be AOM!!!! Of course any one of those artist on the list could have been too.... they are all wonderful and deserving!!! So I want to not only congratulate Kimmers, but the others too, for their nominations!!!!!
Sorry that my two cents turned into $1.50!!!! LOL ;p

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery

Radlafx ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 9:17 PM

I would vote for Zacko if he was nominated. Why isn't he?

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

TwoPynts ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 8:18 AM

The staff made the nominations. Perhaps recently having GotM was a factor. Who knows? I'm not sure how my name got in there. ;]

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.