Wed, Oct 2, 1:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Loading and saving an .Obj

Callisto_Bane ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 10:20 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 1:23 AM

Alright so I took an Aiko 3 clothing item into a polygon/mesh editing program as an .obj file. I did the work on the file to make it fit V3 and exported it as a different .obj file. I opened poser and imported the .obj file but I can't add the item to my library as a clothing item or a prop. I want to take this clothing item into The Tailor program and add in the V3 morphs so I can customize the dress to the figure I am making.. The clothing item or figure has to be in .cr2 format I believe. How can I change this .obj file into a .cr2 or whatever file it needs to be in? I also noticed that when I load my character and then load the dress... it won't conform to that character. Lol well... Maybe I should have researched this more so before trying it however I really need this clothing item for V3. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 3:49 AM · edited Sun, 27 August 2006 at 3:51 AM

I'm going to start by assuming that the original groups are preserved in your new clothing. Best to check this first. If they are not then let us know.

Import your OBJ file with no import option boxes selected.
Load V3
Turn off all V3 IK chains (Figure -- IK)
Open the joint editor (Window -- Joint Editor)
Click the zero figure button.
Select the V3 hip
Check that all translations are zero. (My copy is, yours may not be).
Repeat for the BODY.

At this point the clothing MUST fit the figure. If it does not then you will have to edit the OBJ so that it does.

Select the clothing so that it is the active actor in the scene.
Click on the Setup room tab
Open the library window and browse the figure library for V3 BLANK.
Double click on the V3 BLANK thumbnail. This will add the V3 bones to your clothing.
Return to the Pose Room.

Ensure that your new clothing figure is selected.
Turn off all V3 IK chains (Figure -- IK)
Open the joint editor (Window -- Joint Editor)
Click the zero figure button.
Select the clothing hip
Check that all translations are zero. (My copy is, yours may not be).
Repeat for the BODY.

Now -- very important click on  Edit -- Memorize -- Figure

Save your new clothing to the figure library.
Test your clothing by conforming it to V3 (Figure -- Conform to)
Adjust joint parameters if required. This is normally limited to increasing the fall off zones to some parameters if you find that some of the cloth is being left behind when a joint is rotated. Do not move the joint centers.

Hope that helps.

Callisto_Bane ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 6:12 AM

Wow that was a very in depth reply, thank you very much for taking the time to post that. Once I get some sleep in me I am going to try that and see what happens. Thank you again, your help is very appreciated.

Callisto_Bane ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 4:10 PM · edited Sun, 27 August 2006 at 4:12 PM

Alright well I did everything you said to do and as far as I can tell the general idea worked. However... When I take the saved .cr2 of the newly done clothing item into The Tailor 1.6 I get this error:

Tag Unknown in Channel:trackingScaleMult Line:80430

After I click the ‘okay’ button another error comes up saying:

Error Reading the .CR2 File! Load Aborted.

Coincidentally I get the same error when trying to load V3 into The Tailor after saving her with all of her morphs into my library to use her as the base character...

I should note that it's not the program itself because I can load the regular V3 SAE cr2 fine as long as I don't add the body morphs into her and then save her. I can also load the A3 version of the dress as the clothing cr2 item too without errors.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 5:47 PM

There was an update to v1.61to deal with a new keyword that P6 SR2 introduced.
See -> http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=450632, where the problem was first mentioned.
The update was some time after this (don't remember exactly when).

Fazzel ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 6:30 PM

Thanks PhilC.  This is the first time I have ever actually gotten a piece of conforming
clothing created from an object file to work.

Callisto_Bane ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 7:14 PM

Well I would love to read all about that but when I login to DAZ and try to go to that topic I get told this:

Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum.  

I guess someone doesn't want this project of mine to continue lol.

Callisto_Bane ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 7:52 PM

Well I did my research and I guess it serves me right for not paying attention to updates of programs I use regularly. Thanks guys, I am going to end up getting this version 1..6.1 and hopefully my problems will go away!

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 7:54 PM

Quote - Well I would love to read all about that but when I login to DAZ and try to go to that topic I get told this: Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum. I guess someone doesn't want this project of mine to continue lol.

Sorry, didn't notice that it was in the PC forum.
If you only have v1.6, just reset your download to get v1.61(from your Itemised Order list)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.