Mon, Sep 9, 8:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Library takes soooooo long to load

shedofjoy ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 8:54 PM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 11:02 PM

Has anyone noticed (if you have lots of content) that when you back out too far in the library and have to got back into the runtime folder it takes poser ages to display the library folder again????

Why does poser insist on looking so deeply at the library? as it takes 5mins to display my library folder in poser6 if i change runtimes

why not just look at the folder you click on?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

elenorcoli ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 10:21 PM

one of the techniques folks use is to create different runtimes.  there's info here about how to do that if you're interested.

nickedshield ( ) posted Sun, 03 September 2006 at 11:14 PM

Delete the "Mac" plugin found in your Runtime>ImageIOPlugins folder

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

Fazzel ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 12:05 AM

Quote - one of the techniques folks use is to create different runtimes.  there's info here about how to do that if you're interested. 

I agree. Not only does Poser start up faster and switch libraries faster, but
it's a lot easier to figure out where things are.

barrowlass ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 3:23 AM · edited Mon, 04 September 2006 at 3:25 AM

In Poser 6 itself, I only have James and the DAZ characters/morphs/James props.  My V3 and M3 Runtimes are separate and are added or subtracted when needed.  I keep them in My Docs.  Also back them up to disk so I don't lose everything.  Also, when closing Poser, I make sure I'm in the P6 Runtime - that way it'll open quicker next time - you can also set that in preferences.

Sheila

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 5:34 AM

Either multiple runtimes, or if you want to keep just one runtime tree structure, hogwarden's B-Booost program, which lets you create custom folders within the runtime tree. The -only- things that need to be in the root runtime in the actual program and the actual deltas for the INJ system, and the python scripts you use. The only time Poser really looks at your runtime fully is at startup, so a quicky trick is to create a folder called null runtime and put =nothing= into it. Switch to that one before you close Poser, then when you start up again, you will be up in seconds. You will still have the time penalty of Poser reading what library you open after switching to the real runtime, but once its up, it only reads the one you open, so it breaks the time lag into smaller chunks.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 5:40 AM

I use the one runtime with all my stuff in, divided up into sub folders and more sub folders if needed.

Start up time isn't a big issue and neither is navigation. If you use the little black arrow to the right of the main folders, it opens up the entire folder tree complete so navigation to each and every main folder and sub folder is easy!

Back ups are also easy to do, you just copy the entire runtime over to your back up disc or drive!

Multiple runtimes in P5 or 6 are not neccesary, it's old hat [IMHO].

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

LanceB ( ) posted Mon, 04 September 2006 at 9:13 AM · edited Mon, 04 September 2006 at 9:23 AM

Hi shedofjoy---I feel your pain!!!! I have 60 GB of stuff in my main runtime. Which is the original P4 runtime. I have a couple of other runtimes that I use less frequently for specialized stuff. I hate to move out of the main runtime because it takes a few minutes to get back into it. "Thefixer" is right about being easier to move around in one runtime if you have a lot of stuff.

The problem I would have now with several smaller runtimes is moving a hugh amount of stuff from the 60 GB runtime into the smaller runtimes. I think I would have to delete stuff and then reinstall into the smaller runtimes.

I would like to delete a lot of junk from the large runtime but finding and deleting all the geometries, textures and poses for each item would be a major nightmare. I guess the computer answer for this is always get a bigger hard drive and a faster computer.

By the way defragging your hard drive might speed things up for you.

This is a correction: I just timed going from P6 runtime back into the 60GB P4 runtime and it only took 20 seconds. Before I defragged the hard drive it took 3 or 4 minutes to make the change.

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 4:16 AM

I just work with an nearly empty runtime (just for saving stuff I'm working on to), so Poser's always loading fast. Content is loaded via PRPC with my Library Browser, so switching runtimes is never needed.

kalon ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 6:19 PM

Thanks, nickleshield, the tip about the mac plugin seems to have speeded things up. I wasn't brave enough to delete it, I just zipped it up.

I used to have multiple runtimes, but then I couldn't get the batch convert function to work with Clothing Converter. So I went back to everything in one runtime, and specialized target runtimes with nothing but windows shortcuts to the main runtime. So far, it seems to be working out. (Just did it over the weekend  - so I still have a little standardization to do).

And defragging definitely will increase the speed as well.

kalonart.com

nickedshield ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 6:46 PM

You're welcome kalon.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.