Sun, Oct 6, 6:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Now that you ALL have Poser 5 ... easy ClothRoom tut inside!

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:22 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:32 AM

I thought it will be a good idea to share it with you :) Hope you like it :) After I post all the 10 illustrations you can save them to your HDD for future reference, just don't claim you created it after that :) Click on the image to see full size: step1_th.jpg step2_th.jpg Load Aiko and the clothing into the scene and parent the clothing to Aiko's hip if it is unparented. It will help to reduce the calculation time in case of drastic pose changes from first to last frame, like body or hip rotation of over 90 degrees. Zero Aiko so that no part of her pokes through the dress. You can use the Joint Editor: Zero Figure. Most pose packs also come with good quality zeroing poses too nowadays. ---------------------------- I hope noone thinks it is a SSP. Though I have created the tut as a simple illustrated walkthrough for one of my own items but hey, I haven't even included a single link to my stores! :) Michal 4blueyes

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:23 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step3_th.jpg Set the length of the animation (about 10-15 frames, can be 30 for best dress movements) in the timeline on the bottom of the page.

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:24 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step4_th.jpg Go to the last frame and pose Aiko the way you want. For best folds you can use the final pose on Aiko in a frame in the middle of the animation, so that after fitting to the pose the clothing item drapes more naturally.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:26 PM

good start. We can make clothes now? fer real?..;) oh..ah'm dangerous now..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:26 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step5_th.jpg Choose the clothing in the scene and go to the Cloth Room. My ClothRoom looks this way, yours can look a bit different, don't be puzzled with that :)

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:27 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step6_th.jpg Start New Simulation and change the End Frame number to the amount of frames you have chosen for the animation (10-15). Do not choose any other option. Click Ok. For the dress you can choose "Cloth Self Collision" if you plan to have a pose where the cloth might intersect itself, like most sitting or lying poses.

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:28 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step7_th.jpg Click "Clotify" and choose the object to clotify. If you have chosen the dress before that it will show you something like: "Object to Clotify: dress". If not, click the little black triangle and choose the clothing item from the props. Click OK.

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:29 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step8_th.jpg Click "Collide Against". Add Aiko by choosing her in the Add/Remove section. Let the whole of her be chosen. Make sure that no hair or any props are choosen too, it will slow the simulation down and in most cases break it completely. Set Collision offset and Collision depth to 0.5 and check Ignore Head, Hands and Feet if you do not want the dress to interact with these parts. You can also uncheck the Forearms and Shoulders from the collision because they do not interfere with the dress movement.

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:31 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step9_th.jpg [optional] Choose Outline in the Document Display Style if you have slower PC, it will probably make the calculation faster. (but maybe it is just another urban legend...)

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:33 PM

Click on the image to see full size: step10_th.jpg Calculate the simulation. You might want to go take a nap, drink some tea, watch some TV in the meantime Of course it depends on the computer, calculation length, etc etc. In my case the calculation took somewhere about 5-10 minutes If you do not like the way the clothing folds, play with the Dynamic Controls. I usually use Fold resistance at 20 (instead of 5) to simulate thicker fabrics, like leather, and lower the Static Friction to about 0.1 and Stretch Resistance on 30 istead of default 50 so that the fabric slides easier against the model and creates less rough folds. You can also choose Cloth Self Collision in the Simulation settings to prevent the cloth from going into itself. In most cases it is not necessary. If you decide to change something after the simulation was run once, don't forget to Clear Simulation, it will force Poser to accept the new settings. You can easlily change the pose and recalculate simulation if you go to the frame where Aiko is posed and change the pose to something different. Always leave the first frame untouched and make sure the clothing does not intersect with the figure in it or in any other frame of the animation! That's it :D Michal 4blueyes

4blueyes ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 2:34 PM

Quote - good start. We can make clothes now? fer real?..;) oh..ah'm dangerous now..

I am not sure if we can make the clothes now but for sure we can MESS with them way much more than before }:) Michal 4blueyes

majesticartist ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 6:08 PM

thanks for the tut! Know that it is very apprieciated! Now, the clothroom doesn't look so scary.....LOL ~Nancy~

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 7:38 PM · edited Thu, 14 September 2006 at 7:39 PM

Very easy to follow tutorial.

Interesting that you set your pose in the last frame of the animation. I've always set it 1/2 way (IE: Frame 15 for a 30 frame animation. Frame 30 for a 60 frame animation), then return to frame 1 before going to the cloth room.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 10:43 PM

file_354182.jpg

> Quote - Zero Aiko so that no part of her pokes through the dress.

No poke through isn't a hard and fast rule though.  I find in some cases
I get a better fit with some poke through.  Here is an example
of  a dress I did that had some poke through and still went
through the cloth room without any problem with the end
result being a nice, tight fit.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 6:54 AM

That's rather amazing, Fazzel. Notmally a pokethru at that degree will make the simulation fail But it obviously works here. Just goes to show that in Poser, nothing is set in stone LOL

Is it a dress you made with PhilC's new toy?

(oh and yes, boys and girls: Now, you CAN make your own clothes in Poser. Go check out PhilC's Clothing Designer. It's currently in a Public Beta stage, and only outputs clothes for the old P4 kids, but with some magic (Wardrobe Wizard kind of magic) it can be made to fit other figures as well.)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

4blueyes ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 6:55 AM

Quote - No poke through isn't a hard and fast rule though.  I find in some cases

True :) I stated that there should be no poke through just because in many cases it freaks the calculation out, especially if you are changing the pose in the calculation and not only trying to fit a clothing item to a zeroed figure. It can slow the calculation down significantly also on weaker systems. But yes again, it is not a strict rule but rather an advice. The more important thing is not to allow the body intersect the cloth during the calculation, like having collars going into themselves when the pose requires arms to be down with cloth trapped inbetween. Or arms going through the body while changing pose in any point of the calculation. Hope it clears the things a bit :) Michal 4blueyes

4blueyes ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 7:02 AM

Wow, thank you for the heads up, ernyoka! I completely forgot about that :)

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 10:40 AM

Quote - That's rather amazing, Fazzel. Notmally a pokethru at that degree will make the simulation fail But it obviously works here. Just goes to show that in Poser, nothing is set in stone LOL

Is it a dress you made with PhilC's new toy?

(oh and yes, boys and girls: Now, you CAN make your own clothes in Poser. Go check out PhilC's Clothing Designer. It's currently in a Public Beta stage, and only outputs clothes for the old P4 kids, but with some magic (Wardrobe Wizard kind of magic) it can be made to fit other figures as well.)

I can't take credit for the dress.  It's just one I picked up in the Free Stuff section a while back.
It looked like a nice one to use as an example because the skirt flared out and it would give
a good drape.

But I have been playing around with PhilC's new program and it looks like it might be
a great deal when the final version is released.  It is also a great source for creating
dynamic clothing, which I now tend to prefer because it looks more natural and moves
more naturally in an animation.

Fazzel ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 10:53 AM

Quote - > Quote - No poke through isn't a hard and fast rule though.  I find in some cases

True :) I stated that there should be no poke through just because in many cases it freaks the calculation out, especially if you are changing the pose in the calculation and not only trying to fit a clothing item to a zeroed figure. It can slow the calculation down significantly also on weaker systems. But yes again, it is not a strict rule but rather an advice. The more important thing is not to allow the body intersect the cloth during the calculation, like having collars going into themselves when the pose requires arms to be down with cloth trapped inbetween. Or arms going through the body while changing pose in any point of the calculation. Hope it clears the things a bit :) Michal 4blueyes

I was mostly trying to let people know to not get too fanatical about poke-through,
that sometimes Poser can deal with a little bit.  I like to temp fate and give it a
little poke through when I run a simulation because it gives a tighter fit.
Basically  I try running the simulation and if it bombs, I give it a little less poke
through until it does run. 

Another thing people can do is make their character skinny in the first frame using x and z scale, and then restore the character's x and z to 100% in the final frame, so the character
sort of grows into the clothes rather than trying to expand the clothes to fit the
character.  Sometimes this works better.

Excellent advice about not letting the cloth get trapped or letting body parts go through
the body in an intermediate frame.  I have found that will crash or ruin a simulation
almost guaranteed.

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2006 at 2:53 PM

"Another thing people can do is make their character skinny in the first frame using x and z scale, and then restore the character's x and z to 100% in the final frame"

Yup! A technique sometime known as "shrink-wrapping" (although it's the exact opposite really...)

This technique can also be used to get dynamic clothing to fit characters other than the one it was designed for:

• Load the character and set to zero pose. Go to last frame (usually about 20) and set new key frame. (it's often a good idea to break spline at this point). Return to frame 1.
  • Load the clothing.
  • Twiddle with the dials for both the clothing and the figure til you get  a) the cloth looking a  reasonable length for the intended figure and as close as possible to the figure's shape in X & Z (err on the small side) and b) the figure fitted into the cloth (by whatever means needed - you can be drastic here if necessary..)
  • Enter the cloth room and simulate. As the figure expands back to proper proportions, the clothing will be stretched to fit...
  • Assuming all went well, export the clothing as .obj, (from the last frame or wherever it looks best), re-import the .obj save to props library...

Cheers,
Diolma

(PS - there are a couple of "gotcha's" that might crop up, but the above is the basic priciple..)

akanwa ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2006 at 7:17 AM

This is a nice and easy-to-follow tutorial. I'd already learned the principles but wish I could've read this one sooner. What if you assembled all ten images into a single .pdf file?

4blueyes ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2006 at 11:21 AM

Quote - What if you assembled all ten images into a single .pdf file?

I am working on it :) The tutorial will be available on my site soon both online and as a pdf file for downloading. Michal 4blueyes

akura_ ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 2:28 PM

keep trying to run the sem but it just says seimulation run and then stops after a second what i do wrong. i followed the instructions to the dot.

4blueyes ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 3:47 PM

What version of poser do you use and what figure? I was informed some time ago that Poser5 SR4 (the free one) sometimes refuses to work properly in the ClothRoom. Could you try to make the simulation in a new scene with a new figure and the dynamic clothing item and nothing else (like hair or even textures) added? Michal 4blueyes

akura_ ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 12:15 PM

Poser 6 no update for the Mac. I was missing with it with Jessie and a square prop and it didn't do anything.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 2:58 AM

Is there some chance to get this thread updated please? None of the images by 4BlueEyes are showing up anymore... :sad:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

4blueyes ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 6:16 AM

Quote - Is there some chance to get this thread updated please? None of the images by 4BlueEyes are showing up anymore... :sad:

Wow, that was ages ago! While the comments under each non-showing image are quite explanatory for the step it describes I will look around my HDD to see if the images are still around.

Michal
4blueyes

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:09 AM · edited Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:12 AM

I dunno why you'd want to see the images you're having issues with! My Avast Virus scanner just went bonkers on all of them when I opened this thread!!!

JS:Small-C [Trj]

Trojan Horse

4blueyes ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:17 AM · edited Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:30 AM

huh? Avast going bonkers on images that are not existing anymore? 

I'd advise you to recheck your pc and all this, LostinSpaceman, I have Avast as well and guess what? It is known to make problems out of nothing, as well as AVG, so switching the Scanning web (HTTP) traffic off will surely help.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 2:59 PM

Thank you for that, 4BlueEyes... I appreciate your effort. 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 3:08 PM

Quote - I dunno why you'd want to see the images you're having issues with! My Avast Virus scanner just went bonkers on all of them when I opened this thread!!!

JS:Small-C [Trj]

Trojan Horse

report this to the Admins. that's coming from an ad banner not the images linked to here. they need to know that there's a rogue banner.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:01 PM · edited Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:04 PM

file_449103.jpg

The warning was pretty specific that it was coming from the server where those mising images are being called from.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:04 PM

report it.
and my avast did'nt peep a thing. and I'm seeing the same links you are. I'm not seeing the same adbanners tho.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:06 PM

For what it's worth since the files are missing this might be a case where I should click on that report false positive link.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:08 PM

Well if it was an ad banner you'd think it would be an intermittant problem because every refresh loads different adds but the message remains the same for page 1 of this thread. It repeats for each instance of a missing image.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:10 PM

then report it so a Mod can fix the page...

Aanascent ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 5:55 PM
LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:30 PM

So it's not just Avast and not just me.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:35 PM

Interesting. I visited 4blueeyes's site and Eset NOD32 didn't bring up any alerts.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Aanascent ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 7:36 PM

Nope.  Not your imagination, and not the path of a Renderosity hosted file. 

www.aanascent.com

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 8:16 PM

Oh dear... seems I have opened a can of worms. And all I wanted to see were some pictures. Sorry about that, all.
Perhaps we can work together and get this put together as a tutorial or something. If you send me the images (once you find them) I'd be happy to do that for you, 4BlueEyes...

Metaphor of Chooks

WandW ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 8:19 PM · edited Sun, 07 March 2010 at 8:23 PM

I have Avast going off on this thread as well.  I suspect that it is seeing the error handler on 4Blueyes' site as a malicious redirect...

EDIT:  Maybe not, as it alarms when I access 4blueyes.com....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

MyCat ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 9:22 PM

AVG doesn't like any the images in the beginning of the thread either.

Believable3D ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2010 at 9:44 PM

There are no images in the beginning of the thread, just dead links to images. And those links are to 4blueeyes's site. My guess is that her (?) site was hijacked.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

4blueyes ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2010 at 4:07 AM

Okay guys and girls, I am taking the site down for future investigation and for less headache for both me and you all :)

I will see if I can host the tutorial images (that is if I find them) anyway :)

Michal
4blueyes

cedarwolf ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2012 at 9:47 AM

Might it be possible to make this tutorial available as a .pdf?  I know if you move it to Word, newer versions have a "Save As" setting for .pdf.  That would let us print it out and have it sitting next to the idiot box while we work.  Thanks for all your hard work putting this together.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2012 at 10:40 AM

Quote - Might it be possible to make this tutorial available as a .pdf?  I know if you move it to Word, newer versions have a "Save As" setting for .pdf.  That would let us print it out and have it sitting next to the idiot box while we work.  Thanks for all your hard work putting this together.

the author's not posted in 2 years....

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 28 February 2012 at 11:45 AM · edited Tue, 28 February 2012 at 11:51 AM

Curious that his last post was the same day he took his site down...  [Cue The Twilight Zone theme music]

EDIT: He's posted over at DAZ more recently, so you could try contacting him there...

http://forum.daz3d.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=293743

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 7:38 AM · edited Wed, 29 February 2012 at 7:42 AM

Any one wanting an easy cloth room tutorial can check this one out I wrote back in Poser5's period. Oh dear ,??? That was 2006 !

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2854479&ebot_calc_page#message_2854479

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.