Mon, Sep 9, 5:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:14 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How to print colours correctly: Any tips?

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 5:36 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 1:26 PM

Hi all, I have a logo that I have created using photoshop 7 which, when I have had it printed by a professional printer company, comes out a different colour. The colour is supposed to be a dark oatmeal which when printed was a dark olive green. What can I be doing wrong? I saved it in CMYK. Any advice would be great, but what would be fantastic would be for someone to tell me the proper steps to follow to make an image ready for print. Thanks in advance. Minty.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 12:48 PM

file_356775.gif

I'm book marking this because I'd like to know also.

I suspect that it's a color profile thing.

For example, you may be using FOCOLTONE to create the logo, and they may be using TRUEMATCH.

Call the printer and tell them what profile you are using.

I called one printer to ask what format they would like me to send them for some business cards, and they asked my to use Adobe Acrobat.

Remember...logo's should be done with "Vectors" rather than "Pixels" that way...the image can be resized dynamically,without losing resolution.

For example...the same logo would look good on a pen, coffee cup, T-shirt or hat, a vehicle, or billboard.

Pixels would not do well in a situation like this.

Anyway..as mentioned...I'm still learning about printing as well so I'd be interested to see what other might have to say about this.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Sun, 15 October 2006 at 2:40 PM

Thanks for the advice Tom, I really appreciate your advice. Cheers. Anthony. 

pauljs75 ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 3:29 AM

Also note that display color gamut varies based upon individual monitors (even those that are the same make and model) and graphics display card...  Then heap on top of that the variation that can occur when sent to the printer... Yikes! This isn't exactly an easy task.

Best bet is to try getting some sample proofs made. Then you can adjust your CMYK levels to what seems correct. And run another proof to see if it's right. Keep in mind the lighting of where the final print is to be used, that can also shift colors. (sheesh) Repeat doing proofs until ready for print (or until the budget/printer/deadline says "enough already!") Then you can be sure that the color representation is correct (or as close as you're going to get) between the additive colors on the monitor and the subtractive or translucent colors used in print.

If you can't get proofs or are trying to make a one-off item, next best bet is to use a color-match system such as Pantone. The comparison swatches aren't exactly cheap brand-new, but some people resell old swatch cards online. There might be a little wear and tear, but as long as they're stored away from strong direct light or anything else that could damage them, they'll be up to the job. Then again this may only be useful if your printer supports the system too.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Gongyla ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 3:02 PM

If you save it in CMYK, the intention is that it will be printed in CMYK, not with pantone inks.

Most printers nowadays prefer that you create a pdf, and that they do the conversion to CMYK. There are so many variables (how black do they go, how white,...) In case you want to use pantones, refer to their booklet with colours, not to the output of your printer.

Best advise of all: ask the printer what he prefers to get.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:58 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be speaking to the printers tomorrow so if I get any feedback that I think will be of help to this thread I'll post it here. Cheers again. Anthony.

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 9:43 PM

Gonna sound silly, but I bet for this printer you needed to save it as RGB.

Printing press (business cards, catalogs, magazines, general publications): CMYK
Photographic printers (1hr photo labs, pro photo labs, anyone "professional" using an inkjet printer): RGB

I worked for one lab where people brought in CMYK documents all the time because "it's the professional format, right?" Printing on actual color photo paper (RA-4) is done with RGB files. The color change you described sounds like that problem - I wish I could remember the exact color outputs that were different to be absolutely certain.

Good luck-
-Lew ;-)

karosnikov ( ) posted Sun, 19 November 2006 at 6:12 PM

the  thing about converting it to cmyk is that converts using your settings not the printer's settings.

perceptual coulours on the monitor can be difficult to match printed output - i think it's near impossible - i doubt you get paper as white as your monitor - nor could you print 'black' as black as you monitor looks like turned off - monitors and printers use a diffent gammut, thus you will have to use a colour, or two, that is allready printed for your logo colour-

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.