Fri, Oct 4, 12:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: in the P6 material room...

servo ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 9:47 PM · edited Sun, 28 July 2024 at 12:46 PM

I hope I'm just missing the obvious somewhere, and will gladly be labelled an idiot as long as someone points me to an easy solution... But I can't find a simple node solution for "invert" (make the black areas of an image white and the white areas black, and perform similar reversals on colors in between).

I see just about every other option possible under the math functions node, but no simple "invert".

Please tell me I'm just missing something very simple somewhere.... or do I really have to hack out some kind of multi-node trickyness to get this to work? 

servo ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 10:18 PM

Answered my own question... I used the subtract  math node with "1" in the value 1 place and the image plugged into value 2.

Still seems like there ought to be an "invert" selection among the standard math functions, though.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 3:56 AM

I use this technique, click the material that is inverted, and check the box (in the materials room), box is at the bottom, Normals forward.  That should work just fine.  Sharen

servo ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:43 AM

I appreciate the suggestion, but I think you've misunderstood my need here:

I'm talking about inverting colors in a node (like a photographic negative) in the process of building a shader tree.   Useful for things like making a bump map out of a color image where you want the dark areas raised instead of the light areas (just to give one example).

Your answer suggests I was trying to fix something that was in error and/or geometry related, when in actuality I'm trying to modify existing images and/or other shader nodes before they get to the final output shader where your checkbox is.

Probably my bad for not explaining the problem better.
Anyway, my solution above works for my needs.

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 1:30 PM

Hi servo, Yup, that is the way to do it.

To make it more intuitive, try using a colour-math node. Subtract your texture from white...
It does exactly the same thing, just names it better..

But for some colour operations, the colour-math node works better than the math node, although I couldn't give examples. Something to do with the way RGB values get translated to floating point IIRC....

Cheers,
Diolma

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.