Sun, Sep 15, 6:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Hey what gives with this crazy weather, now London UK gets a tornado

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 6:58 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 7:00 AM

Attached Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/

I wasn't as close to it as Bryster was with his one, but we experienced the side effects, sudden darkness, thunder and lighting, horizontal rain and hail and winds which whipped up everything not tied down in their path and seemd to roar .

Quite frightening even here, quite a bit of damage where it actually hit.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

RodsArt ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:15 AM

I just saw that on the morning news...just glad no one was hurt.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

orbital ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:41 AM

Apparently 6 people were injured, one with a serious head injury. Crazy weather!

http://joevinton.blogspot.com/

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 8:30 AM

Looks like Putin's at it again..who was the target this time?..;)
sorry to hear about the weather. I thought we had enough trailer parks here to keep tornados localized..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

TheBryster ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 8:57 AM
Forum Moderator

Jeez! We get a tornado - now everybody wants one!!!!!

Apparently, we're in for a lot of very wet and windy weather and then 2 months of blizzards.......

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

mboncher ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 10:38 AM

Face it Bryster, you're a trend setter. 

Now, what the heck are you doing with our summer weather?  I only saw one day like that this last year.  Maybe mother nature is depressed she didn't do anything this hurricane season and is being passive agressive elsewhere. ;c) 

To me, it's just more evidence that man-made global warming is a statistical non-starter, and weathermen STILL can't predict the weather.  One of two jobs in the world where you can be wrong most of the time and not get fired.  The other being baseball, where you can miss the ball most of the time and still play.

mdb

chohole ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 10:41 AM

file_361639.jpg

Well, you know what they say, you can't have too much of a good thing.

Seriously, I am glad we were a couple of miles away from the main bit.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 12:04 PM

It's the end of the world !

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 12:34 PM

It was very stormy up in Staffordshire last night - especially early this morning between 5 and 7 am.  I spent the night on the sofa - way too noisy in upstairs dormer bedroom to sleep, even then only managed 3 or 4 hours kip

It's all very scary indeed :(

Gill

Star4mation ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:07 PM

We've had winds gusting up to 70/80 mph in South Devon this week. Dozens of ships sheltering in the bay right now. (Torbay)

If it ain't free, I can't afford it.

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:41 PM

Well, thanks to global warming there are areas of the UK  that are now successfully raising olives and wine-grapes. Along with the good...

mboncher ( ) posted Thu, 07 December 2006 at 7:43 PM

Starting to remind me of a lighthouse story I once read about one of the first ones ever built on this rock.  Then rolled in the "Storm of the Century".  Flocks 30 miles inland refused to graze because of saltspray on all the vegetation.  When the storm subsided, the lighthouse was gone, only twisted girders of it's base were left.  Feels like you blokes are going to see some rough weather for a while then.  Did someone shift the globe a few thousand miles, weatherwise this year or what?  ;c)

mdb

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 1:03 AM

Attached Link: Fires Stories

Victoria in Australia had snow a few weeks ago (nearly summer) and now they have the worst forest fires in 100 years a few weeks later!!  The weather everywhere is like a mad woman's breakfast - or a mad man's breakfast for that matter...

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 1:26 AM

And just think, in the time of Dickens, the Thames and canals in London could freeze over hard enough to skate on.  That's what?  barely 150 years distant.  Heck, locally, in the mid 80's home owners on Lake Michigan were worried at how fast the water was eroding their shore because it was so full.  Now, it's so low it's down 11 feet from it's traditional "normal" state.  This has big shippers ticked, because every foot lost is millions of dollars in cargo they can't ship because the draft of the ships gets too shallow. 

mdb

Elfwine ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 4:14 AM

Two weeks ago, along the front range of the rockies, we had wind gusts clocked at 120 miles per hour! Fortunately, no injuries, only a few out buildings and signs blown down. And last winter we had a 5.6 earthquake roll through. Again, no damage, but it was pretty freaky seeing and hearing the house gently rock sideways. Shiver me timbers!!

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 4:40 AM
Forum Moderator

Elfwine: I won't be running for the hills then......................:lol:

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 6:08 AM

What's shocked me the most about this weather in the UK is they have had 40 tornados across the whole of the UK this year.
This is a quote from our news program i watched tonight.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 10:48 AM

Not gonna get involved in the Global Warming bit, but..

The period from approx. 1300-1800s was called a 'mini ice-age', where the average temp was lower than usual. Don't have the details (one of those Science/Discovery/History Channel shows), but that could be the Dickens skating bit..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 12:05 PM

Pakled, right, and then before that, they could grow wine in Southern England for a period.  So this warmth at least is not unprecidented.  (I thought it was only the 1500's through 1800's though)

meh... whichever works. :c)

mdb

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 5:07 PM

Grrr, that Sir August De Wynter from the 1998 Avengers movie is at it again!! Tornado's in London, now what's next? Cybermen? Daleks?.....

Star4mation ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 7:47 PM

mboncher, We still grow wine in the SW of England. Good stuff too :)

If it ain't free, I can't afford it.

waldomac ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 9:39 PM

Nothing unusual here, I'm pleased to report.

Tornadoes graces our summer. We're just now dipping consistently into 30s every night. We get windy every day, but winds of 40 to 50 mph with gust up to 60 are not at all unusual, so,  nope. Nothing. Same old same old.

BTW, the tornado damage photo is kewl. That was a humdinger, looks like.

:)

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 2:34 AM · edited Sat, 09 December 2006 at 2:36 AM

Tornados are caused when Cold air passes over hot and the hot air tries to rise above the cold air creating a natural vortex and from what I have been hearing in the UK there is a lot of Hot Air coming out of the Parliment recently. We have had the same problem in the States here with the Politicians for over 200 years. Politics; 2 words, Poly meaning many and tics/ticks meaning blood suckers!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

pauljs75 ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 6:26 AM

From the pic, it couldn't have been that strong a twister (at least by U.S. standards. You probably wouldn't hear about it unless it involved old trees, cheap roofing, or trailers. We're funny that way.). There's no sign of structural bracing or rebar in those brick walls.  In some parts of the states, that kind of construction might not even hold up to just regular wind (40+ MPH aren't that uncommon at times, with the occasional storm gusts or howling winter squalls at 70MPH.)

If this kind of thing keeps happening on that side of the Atlantic, you'll have to up the building standards to accomodate conditions brought on by global warming.

If anyone's experiencing some really bad weather, they're probably on the other side of the planet over in the Phillipines. I think they're on their second hurricane (or cyclone) of the month. Now that's some nasty stuff.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

MRIguy ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:10 AM

Didn't you blokes know that the US is exporting tornadoes now? 8-)

Didn't you know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That's why eyedrops and rose-colored glasses are needed.

Thelby ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 11:24 AM

Yeah, It's part of the World Trade Org Package Deals!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.