Wed, Oct 2, 10:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: I need some unbiased opinions of a pic please

Boofy ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 5:23 AM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 5:52 PM

file_361700.jpg

Hi all.

We were on our way to a town called 'Captains' Flat out of Canberra NSW to visit my aunty.

As we were about an hour early we decided to have a drive around and I took some pics (naturally).

This was just a bit of the bushland near by. After downloading it I find that I like the softness of the pic, it reminds me of a water colour painting in some ways. However I am not good at judging sharpness and balance etc.

I am thinking of entering it in a competition at our camera club so I need some opinions on wether it technically good (as that is judged) and if you think the rock in the foreground is a distraction or an enhancement. If the former what should I do? Soften the tone of it or try to clone it out.

Please don't be afraid to say it is bad as I would rather know now and put something else up instead.

Or any hints on improving the image would be great.

Thanks for your help.
Jenny

gwfa ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 5:56 AM

I like the colours, depth and especially the little rock while the composition (the trees could have observed the rule of third..) and sharpness fail in my view.
on the other hand: if the missing sharpness was somehow emphasized it could get a real water colour effect....

Gerald

Gora ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 6:05 AM

I agree, I too quite like the compositio, with small details. Personally I would just satuarated the image a little more, and try a smart sharped in PS...

"If toast
always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what
happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Steven Wright

girsempa ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 8:29 AM

In my opinion it lacks a central attention point. There are several elements fighting for attention: the big tree, the trees on the left, the tree on the right, the path, the rock, the grass, the leaves; but sadly enough, none of those elements is emphasized enough to really grab the attention... I'm afraid that this will cause the whole image to go relatively unnoticed. Try to find a central and strong focus point in your composition (by 'central' I don't mean that it has to be 'centered'), with the shapes and lines around it merely serving to strengthen the attention on, and lead the viewer's eye to the main subject. Easier said than done... I know. An image with a strong main subject will usually attract more attention and approval. Wish I could go further in detail, but I have to run to work just now... Good luck!

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 9:45 AM

I agree with most of what has been said. I don't mind that it isn't razor sharp but perhaps try Gora's suggestions. It would make a fine addition to your gallery, but it would not be a standout.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

FuzzyShadows ( ) posted Fri, 08 December 2006 at 12:28 PM

Forest landscapes are always hard. There's always a lot of background noise to deal with. I really love the sweeping curve you've included in your composition. From the path all the way down through the main tree shadows. A couple of things I don't like... the center tree essentially cuts the canvas in half. To me this breaks up the harmony. Also, the shadow in the far right bottom has no purpose. I'd clone it out, and/or lighten it.

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 12:18 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the tips, you have confirmed my own opinions that it is a lovely pic for a gallery but would lack in a few places for a competition. I couldn't put my finger on what made me doubt the pic but after your comments it seems to be a number of things that let it down. For a quick shot on the run i think it turned out quite well. It is in my gallery now for all to enjoy but I think I will search for something else for the camera club comp. 
Thanks for all the insights and wonderful hints they are much appreciated and I will bear them in mind when I wander out again.
Have a good weekend.
jenny

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.