Tue, Oct 1, 5:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: OT internet connection help needed.

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 12:11 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 11:56 AM

My internet connection is not working properly.

The program that installs it says that there are 5 NICs and I need to get rid of some.

How do I remove a NIC?

I don`t even know what a NIC is.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 12:28 PM

Quote - My internet connection is not working properly.
The program that installs it says that there are 5 NICs and I need to get rid of some.
How do I remove a NIC?
I don`t even know what a NIC is.

A NIC is a Network Interface Card.
Some of the one you have defined are probably virtual devices.

You should be able to uninstall them from the Device Manager.
Take appropriate precautions before tinkering.

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 12:36 PM

The virtual devices don`t show up in the device manager.
The only way that I can get the internet connection to work is to uninstall the modem and then reinstall it.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 12:54 PM

I strongly recommend you just DISABLE instead of REMOVE.  It's hard to back out of removing something, if you realize you needed whatever it was you disabled you can just re-enable it.

What OS?  If it's Windows XP (sounds like it), look in the bottom right near the clock; there is a little picture of a computer with waves coming out of it if you are wireless, or a computer with a wire coming out of it if you have a cable connection.  Right-click.  Open Network Connections.

You should get a window called "Network Connections", in which will be a number of network adapters. Right click -> Disable the ones you are pretty sure you don't need; this is non destructive so if it messes up you can back out by Right Click -> Enable.  

You will also see Repair.  If you see a good candidate that is your network card, ebnable it and try Repair, sometimes it will fix it.  At worst you can disable all of them, install your network driver again, and you ought to be okay.  Hope this helps you.

My Freebies

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 1:19 PM

It is windows xp.

I believe that all the extra NICs are causing the problem.

In the network connections part there are only two connections one is the modem and the other is an old internal modem that is already disabled.

Repairing fixes the problem only till the computer is rebooted and then  the internet connection is not working again.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 1:28 PM

What exactly is telling you you have 5 nics then?

My Freebies

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 1:41 PM

The program that installs the internet connection says it.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 1:51 PM

I strongly recommend you call the ISP's helpdesk, as the problem looks to me like it lies with their particular software, not so much with your PC.

My Freebies

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:14 PM

I don`t think that it would be saying that the setup is wrong if it is not, thank you, anyway.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:18 PM

You asked ^_^

My Freebies

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:27 PM

I was hoping someone would say "all you have to do is" and then the solution.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:53 PM

hmm..As above, Control Panel, Device Manager. You should get a graphic that has all the devices installed listed. If, indeed, you had more than 1 NIC (Even servers don't usually have more than 2 or 3, at least the ones I worked on..;), there should be a triangle with an exclamation mark, or a red circle with an X (if it's more serious) next to it.

Double-click on the Network interface Card, and it should list them all. Take note of which one you have; if you delete it, you're going to need the drivers to re-install it. You'll likely see copies of the same card, and if you have the drivers handy, delete all but the 1st one. Note- if you see and different cards, make sure you have drivers for them as well.

What's probably happening is that XP is trying to allocate resources to all those cards, and coming up short (or at least that's my thought, I can't see your screen..;)  I have a suspicion that your install program is trying to add devices without deleting the previous ones.

Without more info, that's the best I can do.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 8:06 PM

file_362148.jpg

Here is a picture of the device manager, the sis 900 fast ethernet adapter is an old internal modem that can`t be removed.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 8:09 PM

Some virtual network devices may only show up under "Network Connections".

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 8:25 PM

file_362149.jpg

This is network connections.

The internet is working sporadically now and it is difficult to post a message.

xantor ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:51 AM

I used regedit to delete the "extra" connections and it seems to be working ok, now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.