Sun, Oct 6, 5:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A little Xmas render

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:27 AM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 10:28 PM

file_362203.jpg

This is a Wip of what I hope will be a bigger Xmas scene.   This was made with all Bryce element except for the tree that came in the contents stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ang25 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:36 PM

I've always wanted to be able to do a tree scene like yours, looks very good so far.
Happy Holidays!

erosiaart ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:11 AM

nice tree..can we change the star though?

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:02 AM

*nice tree..can we change the star though?

*I made it big for the tree that way to give it a home tree look..   not a picture perfect tree....  I'm struggling with the light bulbs and wires..   Bryce  doesn't make it easy to build a zigzag wire and bulbs out of meta balls and it natural objects...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haloedrain ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:00 AM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:07 AM

Hey, the Christmas ball mats finally come in handy!

You might want to boolean out the very top of the tree where the branches are sticking out through the star.  For the wire, maybe try using lots of little terrains instead of metaballs?  With some clever booleaning with spheres and cylinders you can get them to look curved, and you can hide seams behind branches :)

Edit: actually, no, booleaning the terrains wouldn't be necessary, hanging strings only curve in 2 dimensions, not 3.  Do each hanging loop as a separate terrain.  Just come up with several different terrains and resize and reuse to fit different gaps between branches.

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:46 AM

*Edit: actually, no, booleaning the terrains wouldn't be necessary, hanging strings only curve in 2 dimensions, not 3.  Do each hanging loop as a separate terrain.  Just come up with several different terrains and resize and reuse to fit different gaps between branches.

*Not sure I understand how to use terrains in that way....  but i'm working on it...
Actually, I could go by doing mats with alfa channels...  I can draw some light wire loops and place them on the branches..  lighting them will be some task....

There are no branches sticking out.. I think you are looking at reflection off the shiny silver star holder..  I put on a larger image..  I need to render one...

haloedrain ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:40 PM

file_362350.gif

> Quote - Not sure I understand how to use terrains in that way....  but i'm working on it...

Create a lattice object and draw something like this in the terrain lab (or in photoshop, or use this).  Then make it really thin in y (2 or so, maybe).  Rotate, resize, and translate until you have the ends at 2 branches (openGL view helps a lot with this).

haloedrain ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:44 PM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:46 PM

file_362351.jpg

This image shows it hung between branches.  Duplicate the mesh or create new latices with slight variations in them and then repeat for other branches.  Takes a bit of patience, but maybe less than metaballs and paths (and less likely to kill your RAM).

(Or you could just get blender and use paths!  cough haven't seen ysvry around in a while, someone had to say it ;) )

Anybody know if this tree is uvmapped?  It's just begging for a decent pine needle material, bet it would look really good....

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:07 PM

file_362363.jpg

here's a tree I did in the tree lab, if anyone wants it and can tell me how I can share it, I'd be happy too.

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:48 PM

Well the purpose was to solely use Bryce...   That lattice rope is great,,,,   Otherwise I could use a 3D program to create wire and bulbs,,,,,    I might just create bulbs and forgo the wire...

hey I could use candles........!   As long as you don't tell the fire department,,,,,

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:49 PM

Thank you Ang25 for the offer

Ang25 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:02 PM

Quote - Well the purpose was to solely use Bryce...

I'm not sure what you were referring to, my tree is 100 % Bryce. It's alright if you don't want it, just wanted to mention that its bryce.

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 5:26 PM

*I'm not sure what you were referring to, my tree is 100 % Bryce. It's alright if you don't want it, just wanted to mention that its bryce.

Oh no, I was not refering to your tree at all...     I like your tree..  It was done in Bryce's tree lab...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.