Sat, Sep 7, 8:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 7:13 am)

Subject: Poser 7 zip question(slightly off topic).

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:41 PM · edited Thu, 29 August 2024 at 8:20 AM

I now have this huge zip file on my system, is there any software that will split up the zip so it can be saved onto cd's? I've downloaded AlZip but was curious about the easiest software and way to do this(each cd having a max 700mb capacity).

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:45 PM
kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 10:53 PM

Unless you're really, really, really poor (and purchasing Poser 7 doesn't agree with that), what's so hard about a DVD RW drive and discs?  The prices are practically laughable these days (drive=$30, 50 discs=$20 = $50 - see NewEgg.com).  To me, CDs are like floppies were ten years ago.  You are going to see software and data reaching into the tens of GB in the next year or two.  What will you do then?  50 CDs per single file backup?

For practically nothing, you get 6xs the capacity.  And if you have a little spare cash (or an upcoming birthday/holiday), you can get 12xs that using DVD DL.  Sorry, there is hardly an excuse these days - just check out those bank-busting prices at NewEgg and tell me you can't afford to go DVD.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:07 PM

kuroyume0161, That will be on my to do list next year. I'm not really,really,really poor and I did purchase the P6 upgrade with coupon for free P7 upgrade. I do have a niece with 5 children who's husband decided he wasn't cut out to be a man let alone a husband and father anymore so he decided to walk out on them and leave the state. So until she can go through the courts for some kind of support, she has barely enough money for rent and food. I won't let them go without Christmas presents so I'm going to play santa with what money we can spare. This response is not meant as an attack against you, just outraged at the way and time he decided to bail out on them.

nickedshield ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:16 PM

I don't have my P7 yet so not sure how the zip is set up folder wise but you might want to unzip it to a dummy, assuming you have enough HD space, select folders and build you CD file that way. May not be the most efficient but it will get P7 backed up until a better alternative is available.

I must remember to remember what it was I had to remember.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:20 AM

From what I've heard, most of the 1.733GB of that download is the installer exe itself.  So, you'll have to have software that can split the CD burn or zip either way.

YngPhoenix, well at least you have your priorities straight (mine are - new hardware, Christmas presents, in that order) ;)  But again, my livelihood depends on computer hardware (and software), so it's a no brainer for how my finances are divied.  Save up after the holidays (or make some hints, hint, hint) and replace that CD for a DVD!  You lucked out actually.  Only a few weeks ago I had a spare Sony DRU-512 DVD-RW sitting around (DVD DL for my birthday), but it was traded for some other equipment.  I would've just shipped that off to you.  Maybe someone else will be generous in this respect?

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 12:40 AM

kuroyume0161, I was just outraged as I stated in my last post. I went outside( a little chilly out) and took in some deep breathes of nice cool air which did the trick. So now I feel better and tried using AlZip. I was able to create 3 cd's for the 1.69Gb file and another one for the 200Mb content zip. Alzip also created a self extract file on the first zip cd to reassemble all of the files. I also used the check for error feature and all was well. My system has a cd-writer and a dvd-rom so when I get the money I will change it out for a dvd burner.😄
pjz99 and nickedshield, thanks for your input. I used ask.com and located AlZip, which was also listed on the link page in your reply.:thumbupboth:

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 1:55 AM

very well 😄

My Freebies

TikiGawd ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:18 AM

7-Zip will split archives, and best of all, it's free!

YngPhoenix ( ) posted Thu, 14 December 2006 at 2:49 AM

TikiGawd, Thanks for the reply ,I remember 7-Zip from a while back.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.