Thu, Sep 19, 6:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: Poser 6->7 migration help

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 4:35 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 6:59 AM

OK so I bought poser 7, I have kah-kah-loads of poser 6 material I've created.  I want to bring all the stuff I created in poser 6 into poser 7.

I want a big, fat, shiny red button that I push and does this instantly,...ok that's not realistic.

Alternatives?  Should I just rename the poser 6 directory Poser 7 and then install into that?

Thanks,
                   George

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 4:41 PM · edited Mon, 18 December 2006 at 4:42 PM

No. Have you not read the 1000 other posts here that all say to NEVER install a new poser version into an old one?

Sorry, but it seems this exact same question has been asked every other day for about 2 weeks now, and the exact same answer has already been given every other day as well.

All you do is install P7, and then add your p6 install as an additional runtime.

Use the management tools EF has built into the program.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

CuriousGeorge ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 4:43 PM

Hrm,

Maybe they should turn the subject into a huge banner at the top of the list as it is such a popular issue?

Thanks, by the way :)

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 6:14 PM

It might be a good thing to add in the back room, but I can't think of any single program at all that you install a new version over the top of an installed version.

Can you?

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 6:27 PM

Actually, Band in a Box recommends you do install over the existing version.  But that is the only one I have run across.  As a rule, I never install over the old one; except for the already mentioned BIAB.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 6:58 PM

Right now I have Poser 5, Poser 6 and Poser 7 all installed on my D drive with no problems whatsoever.  That drive also has my Bryce 5.5, Bryce 6, Vue 4 Esprit, Vue 5 Esprit and Vue 6 Esprit since it's my 3D Apps drive.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 7:25 PM

We weren't talking about having multiple versions installed, we were talking about installing over the top of a previous installation.

I also have P5, P6 P6 sr3 and P7 installed on my old system, but each is installed in their own folder.

On my new system, I have P6sr3, and P7 installed.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:41 AM

I tried it once by installing Poser5 over Poser4, neither worked so I had to uninstall & start again from scratch, my advice leave poser6 where it is & just let Poser7 do it's thing & just link to the runtime.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:52 AM

I haven't had any problems with leaving the poser 6 install entirely separate.  I did reinstall all of my content though, considering the way stuff is distributed through many directions I think that's much safer than trying to copy stuff manually.

Agree with Garee, I never ever install any new application on top of an old version, if there are any issues with them refusing to co-exist then I'd uninstall the old version as completely as possible.

My Freebies

Phantast ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:23 AM

Actually with many smaller applications, one is expected to install the new version over the old one. The more complex the application, the less this is likely to be a good idea.

Not to mention the fact that in some cases one may want to run the old version to check compatibility, etc.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.