Wed, Sep 18, 6:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Anyone have a P2 serial number...?

fuaho ( ) posted Sat, 30 December 2006 at 9:23 PM · edited Sun, 15 September 2024 at 7:40 AM

As I was straightening up and doing some tossing out of 5-1/4-in. disks, old CP/M software and a ton of accumulated graphics cards, memory chips (yes DIMM's), modems and other now useless computer detritis, I came across my original Poser 2 CD in its original case. I installed it, but realized when it asked for the serial number that I have no idea where that could be. Unfortunately, it's neither on the case nor on the disk.

I thought with P7 coming out, that I would do some renders in P2 just for giggles to post and show the differences, so I contacted e frontier in mid October requesting my serial number and eventually received the following response:

"Sorry for the delay.  When Poser 2 was released, it was released by Fractal Designs.  The rights to Poser was then sold to MetaCreations, which in turn sold the rights to Curious Labs, which in turn sold the rights to eFrontier.  In short, we have no records on any of the Poser products prior to Poser 4.  Unfortunately, that means that we are unable to give you any serial numbers for Poser 2, nor do we know where the serial number can be found.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me."

While I know some folks may have some negative stuff to say about my asking for a serial number, I really don't think, given the circumstances that we will be incurring any liablities here, so if someone does still happen to have a P2 serial number around, I'd love to use it to install P2 just to see what it looks like and to render out a couple of poses to post here for comparison and for the sake of  'the good old days."

TIA,

<?}}%%%><<  

fuaho ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 2:31 PM

file_364168.jpg

Well, with a little perseverence (and a glass of holiday grog to give the ol' brain a jog) I found my Poser 2 manual. It was right there next to my Procomm Plus 95 Users' Guide the whole time.

Safely ensconced inside the front cover in pencil on a Post-it (TM) was my serial number, so I reinstalled the software, entered the SerNo and Poser instantly closed after a message that I was out of memory!! Guess XP is too rich for its blood.

Dug out an old Compaq laptop running Win95 and it installed just fine, so now I have P2 & P7 working. Hopefully, over the next few days, I'll get a chance to post a work or two from P2 just to show how far things have come in ten years.

May all your renders complete! Happy New Year to All...!

<,"))###><<  

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 3:15 PM

if ya check freestuff and the galleries here, you'll see folks are still posting p2-style images with no shadows. the technology has advanced quite a bit faster than the users' skills, apparently. I have that p2 manual as well, but I can't see a serial number in it. I think it was on a card with self-adhesive labels that said "do not discard" in red letters. I looked at the back page - "troubleshooting worksheet". I don't have P7, but I'm guessing that's a thing of the past.

fuaho ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 8:27 PM

Also a thing of the past is: www.fractal.com

<:}}&&&><<  

wyrwulf ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 8:45 PM

Here is a link to a "patch" that might make Poser 2 work in XP.
http://dev.depeuter.org/

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 12:38 AM

I always make a text copy of the serial number. Saved me several times, and the times I didn't, I wish I had.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 12:42 AM

Yeah, I always write the serials in several places...  So far it's been a good habit to get into. 

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

fuaho ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 11:40 AM

wyrwulf,

Thanks! That actually worked!!

<;))%%%><<  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.