Sun, Oct 6, 7:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: volumeric light problem

amacord ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 8:58 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 5:25 AM

file_364762.jpg

hi! i have a cylinder with a volumeric material and a point light placed inside of it. on the left side volumeric light is enabled, cast shadows in volume is off. the cylinder is excluded from the lights influence. you can see that the cylinder is not entirely transparent. on the right side volumeric light is off, here the transparency is ok... where am i going wrong? TIA A.

dburdick ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 12:11 PM

You may have to crank up the volumetric quality slider on the volumetric light tab to fix this and/or increase the contrast of the noise you used to create the smoke column.

amacord ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 9:37 PM

file_364811.jpg

hi dburdick! thx for bothering:) quality slider hits bang the right wall. the contrast thing did not work, i'm afraid it must be sth else..... A.

jc ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 12:36 AM

I'm confused. A volumetric material doesn't necessarily need volumetric lighting. Do you intend that light beams project out from the clyinder - i think that's the only reason you would need volumetric light. If you just want to illuminate the 'smoke' you don't need volumetric light.

Volumetic light is best with spotlights and will not look good if the camera is inside the light beam. It's also pretty subtle, so that you usually need a dark environment and no other lights 'in competition'.

I have a volumetric lighting tutorial - see below:

_jc  'Art Head Start' e-book: Learn digital art skills $19.95
'Art Head Start.com Free chapter, Vue tutorials, models, Web Tutorials Directory.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.