Mon, Sep 9, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Question About P5 :- )

Strixowl ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 11:10 AM · edited Sat, 24 August 2024 at 7:59 PM

Yeah I know your all ahead of me (P7 already) but any way I have P5 which I've never installed.  I have PoserProPak installed and am wondering if I can install P5 over the top of ProPak and retain all my libraries etc.?

Also does P5 have the same folder limitations as ProPak?  

I want to try out P5 before upgrading.  Thanks for any help you can offer. 
Strixowl

dbowers22 ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 11:23 AM · edited Wed, 17 January 2007 at 11:27 AM

Why would you want to install Poser 5 over PoserProPak?
You would be better off installing Poser 5 in its own separate
directory and then linking Poser 5 to your ProPak library.

To do this, once you install and open Poser 5, got to the right of the
screen and keep clicking the libraries up arrow until you get to the root directory.
You should see Poser 5 and Downloads folders.
Then click on the plus sign at the bottom right of the libraries list.
 The pop-up window will then let you link to the ProPak library runtime. 

diolma ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 3:15 PM

What dbowers said - I totally agree!

Instal Poser 5 in a new directory (EG. Curious Labs/Poser 5) then link P5's libraries to P4PP.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, uninstal/overwrite Propack yet! Wait til you are happy with the way P5 interprets the PP content (this could take several months, maybe years) before doing anything to PP.

However, once you are happy with P5, then you can uninstall ProPack. That should not remove the rest of the content, just the ProPack .exe file, releasing a little more disk space.

Cheers,
Diolma

(Who doesn't have ProPack, but does have P6 and is still waiting before uninstalling P5)

vince3 ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 4:26 PM

i had P5 and P6 running on the same 'puter until a while after SR2 for P6 then i copied my libraries from P5 over to P6, and deleted P5. i think all those who do testing out there have to have all versions P4,5,6,7 to ensure that new products are backwards compatible or not!

Strixowl ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 10:12 PM

**Hello All,
Thanks for your responses.  

dbowers22, 
Actually I didn't want to install Poser 5 over PoserProPak, I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't destroy/ erase my ProPack runtime on installation.  I use DAZ Studio allot now that it's improved so much (shaders, displacement, IBL etc) but I'd like all the tools I can get.  I got the answer I wanted :- )**

**diolma, 
thanks for your advice. I will heed it  :- )
**vince3, How did you guess? I also do quite a bit of Beta testing (ProPack-DAZ Studio) and want to eventually have all versions P4,5,6,7 and newer versions of D/S to broaden my ability to test in differant versions. **

Last Question: Does P5 have the same horrible folder  limits as ProPak?  
Thanks Again,
Strixowl :- )

vilian ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 4:10 AM

No, I think it doesn't . And even if it does, it can use nested folders structure which helps a lot. For example, in Pose folder you can have V3 Poses folder, and inside it Sitting and inside Sitting - Sitting Sexy, Sitting Casual folders. Very handy for keeping MAT poses for one outfit but from different creators (like it's with MFD and other popular clothes), and so on. A lot of possibilities :-)
I still haven't uninstalled my PP because P5 is oh-so-slow, not only in rendering but in pretty much everything, from opening Libraries folders, to loading things, to accepting dial values or spinning dials... Until I get newer machine, I'll stuck with my outdated but fast handy user-friendly ProPack :)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

Strixowl ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 10:26 AM

**vilian,
**Thank you for your answer regarding nested folders and your example gave me the answer I needed.  Have you tried DAZ Studio.  I've found it to be pretty fast.  
Thanks Again,
Strixowl

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.