Sun, Oct 6, 7:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: MP Product Reviews Irritation

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 1:19 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 11:58 PM

I was looking at a new item in the MP earlier and checked out the product reviews for it at the bottom of the page. One of them started:

*"I haven't even finished downloading it yet, but I know it will be awesome!"

*Now call me stupid, but I thought 'Product Review' meant a review of a product , (doh!) not a wild guess as to what you think it might be like!

I've seen this happening more and more lately and it really irritates me as I DO often use the reviews as a guide to buying stuff. I want honest information there from people who have actually used the product, otherwise there isn't any point having this section.

Is this an indication that the PR's are joining the 'lovey' status of the galleries -  who can be the first to post nice comments and win friends?!...

My Renderosity Store

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 1:44 PM

Interesting point! I raised a similar point some months ago about reviews like "this has made my renders super" etc., yet when you visit the reviewers gallery there's no image with the product in it!

Now I asked at the time if reviews can be put in without having the item, you know like a friend of the merchant or something but never got an answer on that one!

Makes ya wonder!!!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Holly ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 2:11 PM

I use the reviews as a guide when I want to purchase an item. If it has good reviews I feel more sure that that one is the one I want to buy. 

With one item I purchased I felt fooled by the reviews. The product had 5 star ratings but there were files missing. I personally wouldn't give a 5 star review on a product that wasn't complete, so it made me wonder if it's all 'lovey' with the reviews or if people are really placing a rating from their actual opinions about the product.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 2:52 PM

I hope there's no possibility of fake or dubious reviews, and that the reviewers are checked to make certain they're not "plants", "marks" nor "pushers". I keep hearing rumours about fake reviews and fake ratings at sites like amazon and e-bay, but I dunno if they're true. it may just be disgruntled merchants starting fake rumours about non-existant fake reviews.

elzoejam ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 3:23 PM · edited Tue, 06 February 2007 at 3:24 PM

I saw that review and was equally annoyed.

Sarah

Lucie ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2007 at 7:56 AM

**I was looking at a new item in the MP earlier and checked out the product reviews for it at the bottom of the page. One of them started:

*"I haven't even finished downloading it yet, but I know it will be awesome!"

Now call me stupid, but I thought 'Product Review' meant a review of a product , (doh!) not a wild guess as to what you think it might be like!*

Call me stupid too because I'd also think people who post reviews should have tried the product before they actually post a review.  :blink:  Gotta wonder sometimes how some  people think...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2007 at 8:10 AM

Now I asked at the time if reviews can be put in without having the item, you know like a friend of the merchant or something but never got an answer on that one!

You have to have purchased (or been gifted via Renderosity) to make a review.

I see this problem across all sites which have a review function. Amazon is full of review for pre-release stuff that says things like "5 stars! I can't wait until this is out, I know it's gonna be awesome!"

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Belladzines ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2007 at 4:03 PM

I use the reviews as a guide too...

and i always put reviews on everything i buy because i know its appreciated by future buyers and also the vendor - AFTER i download the product and HAVE USED it.. lol.

if theres no reviews then:

1. the buyer/s didnt bother leaving one
    2.the product is not that great that the buyer was awestruck into giving a rave review.

and mind you i am a merchant and i certainly appreciated being given reviews on my products... 

:-)

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2007 at 11:54 AM

So, do bad reviews make it too? I can't remember seeing a bad review for anything... ever.

kathym ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 9:30 AM

Quote - Interesting point! I raised a similar point some months ago about reviews like "this has made my renders super" etc., yet when you visit the reviewers gallery there's no image with the product in it!

I do a ton of renders .. truthfully few make it here. Most, not all make it to my website - but there are at least a dozen that are collecting dust on the hard drive right now as we speak. I just got Farah by Bice thanks to the linkshare program. I played with it .. did a render and reviewed the product which I love btw. It hasn't left the hard drive yet, though.

Just enjoying the Vue. :0)

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 2:42 PM

Quote - So, do bad reviews make it too? I can't remember seeing a bad review for anything... ever.

I've said if I think something is misleading or lacking & as far as I am aware the reveiws are still there

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 2:52 PM

Quote - Now I asked at the time if reviews can be put in without having the item, you know like a friend of the merchant or something but never got an answer on that one!

You have to have purchased (or been gifted via Renderosity) to make a review.

I suspect some merchants buy & gift to friends, to get reviews & to pass the $300 limit quicker. I cannot prove it, but I have seen plenty of circumstantial evidence that supports this theory. Both from reading reviews I have seen here & posts made in other forums.

I mean to say, if a product is release & then suddenly has wonderful reviews all posted within a few hours of each other, yet the products promo pages are decidely amaturish, makes me a bit suspicious. Then there are the comments I have seen elsewhere, just makes me go Hmmmm!

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Lucie ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 3:12 PM

Quote - "Interesting point! I raised a similar point some months ago about reviews like "this has made my renders super" etc., yet when you visit the reviewers gallery there's no image with the product in it!"

**I do a ton of renders .. truthfully few make it here. Most, not all make it to my website - but there are at least a dozen that are collecting dust on the hard drive right now as we speak. I just got Farah by Bice thanks to the linkshare program. I played with it .. did a render and reviewed the product which I love btw. It hasn't left the hard drive yet, though.

**Yup, not everybody posts in the gallery and among those who do, not all of them post all their images...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 4:58 PM

Quote -

I see this problem across all sites which have a review function. Amazon is full of review for pre-release stuff that says things like "5 stars! I can't wait until this is out, I know it's gonna be awesome!"

Ah, so that makes it OK, I s'pose - the fact that it happens elsewhere.
Aren't reviews approved by staff before being posted?

DonaldZ ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 5:02 PM

Hi

AlteredKitty ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 6:56 PM · edited Fri, 09 February 2007 at 6:57 PM

Well I'm glad that I'm NOT the only one to be irritated by this - thanks for the feedback although it doesn't seem that anything is about to be changed.

Quote: "I mean to say, if a product is release & then suddenly has wonderful reviews all posted within a few hours of each other, yet the products promo pages are decidely amaturish, makes me a bit suspicious."

This brings me to my other pet peeve of the moment:

I've been creating a character for the MP and for the last month have spent hours every day (and night) trying to get it as good as I possibly can - tweaking even the smallest part seems to take for ever. How come when I look at existing products in the MP, it appears that some people manage to make something new every few days????

Guess I'm just stupid AND slow,  or perhaps just tired and grumpy LOL ;)

Have a good weekend :)

....and "Hi" back at ya DonaldZ, nice of you to pop in ;)

My Renderosity Store

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 09 February 2007 at 7:23 PM

Who are you, DonaldZ, oh ye of the very-recently-joined, and why are you posting inanely inappropriate replies in this and other threads?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.