Mon, Oct 21, 11:08 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Cutting out objects in photos

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2007 at 5:50 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:05 PM

Hi all,

I need to cut out an object from a photo and place it onto a white background. I was just wondering which approach people think is best for tackling something of this nature.

Cheers.

Minty.

keppel ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2007 at 7:00 AM

You need to post a picture showing what you want to cut out because there are lots of different ways of doing this but they are dependant on the background that you need to separate your image from.

Shane

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

retrocity ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2007 at 9:36 PM

true. based on how intricate the object is (just try getting all the stray hairs knocked-out and you'll know what i mean!!) there are a number of different methods. the most common one is to make sure the object is on it's own layer (not the background or all you'll do is make the background white) and use the  polygon lasso tool to click around the shape and delete the background. (if you completely click around from beginning point to end point closing in the object you'll need to invert your selection or you'll be cutting the actual object and not the background).

another method is to use the "extract" tool drawing around the outer edge of the object, filling the outlines shape and hitting the extract button. i don't often use it myself but it's a quick trick.

if you can do as shane suggests, and post the pic i'm sure everybody will give some good suggestions.

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 19 February 2007 at 10:57 PM

There's Extracting, Masking, Lasso Tool, Pen Tool - many ways to do it (and often a combo of techniques is what looks the most realistic), but we need to see what needs to be done.
Absolutely - post a pic and we can better help you cut the object out.
-Lew ;-)

hewsan ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 1:29 AM

Another method... is to go to channels, find the channel that gives most contrast to what is wanted to be saved in relation to the background... dup the channel, go to brightness / contrast and increase each to taste... then in my case... increase magnification and use the lasso to seperate out what I want... tdelete the dupped channel,  go back to layer mode and fine tune the marquee, copy to new layer.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 7:48 PM

as you can see from the replies minty there is more than one way to skin a cat (not to be taken literally, so no animal rights replies please...anyways, i have a cat...and she has her skin intact! 😉)
you will want to find an approach (above suggestions) that will yield the greatest contrast between what you want saved and what you want cut out. if you can harness a good contrast then you can let ps do it's thing for you (lasso, channels)
otherwise you'll have to get down and dirty and do it yourself (pen tool). not that the pen tool is hard, it's rather easy. just will take longer but you will be assured of what you are cutting out.

one other helpful hint, don't always think/look at what you want saved. sometimes it's easier to think/look at what you want erased. the ying instead of the yang approach.

Comitted to excellence through art.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:19 AM · edited Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:21 AM

file_369878.jpg

Much depends on the original pic's characteristics, and your desired outcome, as well as personal workflow comfort.

For example..sometimes I'll  Go to > Select > Color Range. and from that dialog...you have many selection possibilities presented (which could have a thread of it's own on how powerful that dialog can be)..

I agree...there are several means to the same end, when it comes to PhotoShop. 

For down and dirty cuts, I might use the Magic Wand Tool if  a reasonably good contrast between what I want cut already exist. (See Pic 3)

I typically use the Polygon Lasso (Or Magnetic Polygon Lasso) Tool for images with less contrast, or I need only a particular area cut, Like the trophy's in pic 2, the silly head in pic 4, or the Arm/ Jack Daniels Bottle group in pic 6.

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:21 AM

file_369879.gif

Rinse And Repeat.

bonestructure ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 4:11 AM

I tend to use the method that most people dislike, but it works well for me. I use the lasso select tool to loosely select the object I want to cut out. I copy it and paste it onto a new background. Then I zoom in, a lot, and use the lasso tool with feathering set to zero, to cut away everything that isn't what I want.. Then, still zoomed in, I use the blur tool to soften the cut edges. Cut and pasted images just don't look right with those very sharp edges. You don't blur a lot, just enough to blend it in a little. I've been doing it that way since Photoshop 3, and I doubt I'd be comfortable or competent doing it any other way. It's a lot of work, but it works for me.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

MINTY1974 ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 10:46 AM

Thanks for such a wide range of replies (sorry I have not replied sooner but I have just walked back in the door after being in Rome for the week).

I'll be back online sometime this week. Cheers again for going to such great lengths to explain the possible ways to do this.

Minty.

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 6:19 AM

LOL @  Hawkfyr !!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 6:26 AM

Heh Heh...Ya like that on Thelby?

8 )

Tom

Thelby ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 1:51 PM

Oh Mel never looked Cooler, LOL!!!!!!!!

I would rather be Politically Incorrect,
Then have Politically Correct-Incorrectness!!!

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 3:52 PM

file_372792.jpg

Heh heh...Thanks...I did that one and another one (Still Image) that morning I awoke to the "Breaking News" about Mel's little "Incident" last July...lol I called it "RageHeart"

Tom

Sexything ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 11:13 AM

Very Cool Tom, and it was very easy for me to fallow !!

Onslow ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 12:08 PM · edited Wed, 28 March 2007 at 12:10 PM

Attached Link: Tutorial

You could take a look at this video tutorial for one way that it can be done.  This way works for quite complicated selections: eg  hair, etc.

As said above the best method depends upon the photograph and time you have to do it.

Note: The link is to a 30Mb file - it is a 23 min. tutorial.

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Margana ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 2:12 PM

Thanks Richard. I'll check it out. Hair can be a real nightmare...I had a helluva time cutting out that golden retriever on my Taking a Leap pic...Wish I knew about a quicker method back then.

As for what I do...I cut it out roughly with the lasso, put it in it's own layer and then erase the parts I don't want...After that I use various filters and such to get the lighting right, etc...so that it integrates more realistically. But as already stated, there are many other ways to do this kind of thing.

PS LMAO at Tom/Hawkfyr!

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.