Sun, Oct 6, 6:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Aery Soul's Alice!

stormchaser ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 5:55 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:04 PM

**Sorry if this has been mentioned in another thread here, I couldn't find it, I'm in a rush, sorry.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how sad it is that Aery Soul has felt the need to no longer sell 'Alice'. There has been a debate over at Daz about the figure of Alice, being too skinny & not representing real young women. Now I understand the concerns today about issues with anorexia & role models etc but this is just silly. We are talking about a fantasy character here, should be complain about A3 not looking real & She/He freak not representing real people! Poser has morphs, we are meant to use them if we want to change the shape of a certain character. Aery Soul create great products & I just feel it's a shame they feel they have had to resort to this.

Here's the link if people want to read the discussion:
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=52145&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also discussion at Aery Soul:
http://www.aerysoul.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1293

pitklad ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 6:24 PM · edited Thu, 22 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

That anorexia thing is so trendy those days! Even if it was huge on 90s too :blink:
I know it sells on the news...but what does that have to do with poser?
On 3D? Virtual? This is sooo scary!!!
So what's next? overweight characters are a thread too??

I don't find reactions like that so innocent - mature ! 👎

I thought artist had open minds and that this was an artists community! :unsure:

My FreeStuff

Rainfeather ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:03 PM

are you saying that that was the reason why it was pulled? because that is just about the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of.

stormchaser ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:15 PM

Rainfeather - I could be wrong on this, but from what I've read it seems to have been a factor. I'm sure someone will tell us if I've got this wrong.

Hyria ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:22 PM

Alice is a beautiful character. Yes a bit on the thin side but that can be tweaked with the dials. I have Kielo II and love her even though she is a bit skinny too. Dials can change alot of the shape. I is just frustrating that some take the argument clearly  beyond maturity.  

Aery Soul I hope you don't let this get you too down. Your characters are lovely.

Insanity is a waking state...Darkness is a being...Want To Play.........heheheheh

Rainfeather ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:41 PM

i've just been at the forums over at daz....my, my...what's next? limit the morphing capacity of each figure so they can't be dialed  too "thin"?

Vaizaado ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:54 PM · edited Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:58 PM

Aery Soul's characters are great, and I think they were meant to be somewhat "out of this world". Elves don't exist, people cannot fly all by themselves, etc. but I don't see anyone complaining about those facts/fictions. If the people who created Alice want her to be as she, then that is their decision to make. All we can do about it is either buy her, or leave her alone. We are artists, we create, and we make the decisions regarding our creations. I believe censorship is needed in any community, but it was never meant to withhold people from expressing their artistic feelings. It is meant to protect those who for example are vulnerable towards nudity/violence, like minors. Here at Renderosity, they offer the possibilities to check uploads for either violence, or nudity for our own protection (or for the protection of those surrounding us - like our co-workers, children, etc.), but never to place censorship on our works. In any case. Aery Soul's products are excellent, and I for one am very glad to have purchased Alice.

Vaizaado (statement supported by Sylke Rayne)

Letterworks ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 7:55 PM

Christ! When are the people in this "hobby" gonna grow up! Their pixels man! Pixels!

mike

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 8:33 PM

Regardless of the idiocy surrounding the figure being pulled from Daz, this can only be bad news for anyone that has invested in it.

No Daz support translates to less figure sales. Less figure sales will lead to less third party support.

It’s a shame too. I don’t own Alice, but can certainly appreciate a good product when I see it.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 9:28 PM

That's very sad news. I was lucky enough to get Alice. She is very lovely.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 9:46 PM

She's gone ???????? 
I get paid tomorrow and was going to buy her....what a bummer!!!!!

She's unique..that is the payoff with this character..UNIQUE. 

Please put her back up

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

jartz ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 9:55 PM · edited Thu, 22 February 2007 at 9:59 PM

Sad, so so sad!  :crying:

I admire their products, especially their awesome clothing and hair lines.

I just bought AS's Alicism for Alice/v4 yesterday, and I'm happy with my purchase -- so glad they didn't pull that out. 

In my opinion, Alice is like any character that you can think of, by using v4's morphs, it can be a totally different character.  I was thinking about purchasing her next month if funding persists, but after reading all of this -- I'm just blown away.  

Just now reading the forums there and I'm in shock at what I'm reading.  I still can't understand: why some would complain of it being too thin and too young and this and that?  She's a custom made character, plain and simple...

That's public opinion for ya!  👎

I sincerely hope that they do bring Alice back, or at least modify it.

They're still a great team of 3d designers/creators in my book -- period!

JB

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Anniebel ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 10:23 PM

Quote - **Sorry if this has been mentioned in another thread here, I couldn't find it, I'm in a rush, sorry.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how sad it is that Aery Soul has felt the need to no longer sell 'Alice'. There has been a debate over at Daz about the figure of Alice, being too skinny & not representing real young women. Now I understand the concerns today about issues with anorexia & role models etc but this is just silly. We are talking about a fantasy character here, should be complain about A3 not looking real & She/He freak not representing real people! Poser has morphs, we are meant to use them if we want to change the shape of a certain character. Aery Soul create great products & I just feel it's a shame they feel they have had to resort to this.

Here's the link if people want to read the discussion:
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=52145&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Also discussion at Aery Soul:
http://www.aerysoul.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1293

Be fair - I haven't read the thread in the AS forum, but majority of discussion at DAZ was supporting the character. There were only about 4 negative posts that I saw in 6 pages. The most negative was done by someone who has only posted twice at DAZ.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

mylemonblue ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 10:30 PM

Like a dream that vanishes in the morning when we awake.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

coldrake ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 1:06 AM · edited Fri, 23 February 2007 at 1:13 AM

ClawShrimp wrote: "Regardless of the idiocy surrounding the figure being pulled from Daz, this can only be bad news for anyone that has invested in it." "No Daz support translates to less figure sales." Alice was never sold at Daz. stormchaser wrote: "There has been a debate over at Daz about the figure of Alice, being too skinny & not representing real young women. Now I understand the concerns today about issues with anorexia & role models etc but this is just silly." No one from Aery Soul said anything about Alice being pulled because she was too skinny, that's just pure speculation from people posting in the threads. Coldrake

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 1:39 AM

well sorry to hear about all the uproar :(

But for the people who do have Alice, I'll be updating my v4magnet set (at DAZ)  shortly with a fit for Alice at As Shanims request

Lyrra

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:06 AM · edited Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:07 AM

"Be fair - I haven't read the thread in the AS forum, but majority of discussion at DAZ was supporting the character. There were only about 4 negative posts that I saw in 6 pages. The most negative was done by someone who has only posted twice at DAZ."
**Anniebel - Fair point, but there were strong criticisms of which I would imagine there being many more who felt the same, it's an issue I've come across before.
"No one from Aery Soul said anything about Alice being pulled because she was too skinny, that's just pure speculation from people posting in the threads."
coldrake - No, no specifics were mentioned from Aery Soul & as I stated I could be wrong on this. It was an opinion of mine & others that this could have been a factor in their decision. If I have got this wrong then I apologise, I just wrote this in the heat of the moment as I couldn't believe the stupidity of some people regarding a Poser character.

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:27 AM
Site Admin

In their forums Aery Soul said outright that that was NOT the reason she was pulled.   But given enough time speculation can run rampant in Poserland :)

They claim that Alice was too "personal" for them and they couldn't continue creating if she was out there.   Which to me is totally senseless as a number of people already have her - thus she stopped being personal.   What's left to protect now?   

Anyway, they've done it before with May, and as buyer who does not have Poser on her priority list and gets things only when she can afford them not only when they're being hyped, I was quite upset not to be able to get May but said nothing.  Now with Alice I feel I can and should speak up.   It's almost like being forced to get something the minute it comes out for fear of it being gone once you blink.  If I sound bitter, it's because I am :/

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:34 AM

I've just read the comments from Siliphiel over at Aery Soul & I respect their decision for doing this. I know this doesn't seem like good business sense but it's their choice. I really hope it's true that negative comments against Alice had no reasoning behind the decision but was a personal & artistic one. The reason why I felt angry about this was not just to do with Aery Soul of whom I find to be amazing creators but the thought that a few peoples opinions could have such an effect on an artists creations.

Casette ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:05 AM

I readed both threads at ASforum and Daz. The explanation is ridiculous

1.- If I believe them, it's an unprofessional behavior. I sell a product, it helps me in a high degree to become Merchant of the Year and suddenly I decide after +500 sold products that 'my girl is only mine'. Of course a merchant (or a couple) can retire a product when he/they want, but... why now and not -500 sold products ago?

2.- If I don't believe them, two options: Daz sells a young V4 model and they silently retires her competence, or they are affected by all the comments in forums about the child likeness of Alice. Both unprofessional too

I love AS products. But I think they are wrong with this decission

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

mylemonblue ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 6:31 AM

A heaviness of heart.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

havocmorgan ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 12:51 PM

I teach screenwriting and film classes and one of the main points I try to stress is that film can be art ,but it is still a product  created to make money. Harsh?Yes, but true.
This is also true for any Poser related 3d figure placed on a website storefront. AS may say it's too personal to sell, but why create it and market it in the first place? I think this is just a way to save some face and point to the art reasons, instead of some behind the scenes arm twiisting.

And as a lucky one who has Alice, I can't complain too much, but it doesn't seem like good business to me

thefunkyone_4ever ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 2:27 PM

Now i do like the AS stuff and respect them as really good creators, but maybe this is a marketing ploy ?  Maybe Alice wasn't selling as high as they wanted so they pull her for mysterious "personal" reasons to generate interest in the character then release her again and more people will buy it because of a) the increased interest and b) incase its taken down again...

Im probably wrong in thinking this, but it is a valid marketing strategy

SnowSultan ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:19 PM

Wait, wasn't Alice sold here and not at DAZ? I don't think DAZ has anything at all to do with Alice being removed, other than the initial complaints about her being posted by someone on their forums.

SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

Hanphul ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 12:52 AM

so i bought her, and now aerysoul wont be making anything for her? thats ridiculous. now her morphs are no longer needed since you cant fit any clothes to her as well as the ones aerysoul has released and given fits too. can someone please tell me they will still be releasing fits for there clothes?

elzoejam ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 1:19 AM

They say on the website all future clothes will fit Alice also.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:13 PM

And there is always Wardrobe Wizard, the Tailor, or Clothing Converter.

modus0 ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 4:15 PM

Quote - They say on the website all future clothes will fit Alice also.

Which, unfortunately, will only serve to antagonize those who weren't able to get Alice due to budgetary constraints, and confuse those who show up in the future and don't know about Alice.

And I too find the "too personal" reason silly, it almost sounds like a cop-out for a real reason Aery Soul doesn't want to talk about.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.