Sun, Oct 6, 10:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: I was going to enter the glass comp, but may need more time.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2007 at 3:32 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 12:08 PM

file_371274.jpg

HDRI and DOF really slow things down.  And yeah, I know I could do a  distance render, but I thought I'd try and be a little pure for a change.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2007 at 4:22 PM

I in the same place.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RodsArt ( ) posted Sat, 10 March 2007 at 5:40 PM

Hurry, hurry... Would love to see your entries make it. I'm sure AS wouldn't mind a bit of a delay.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 12 March 2007 at 10:45 PM

Come one....still got two 16 days!

But yeah, forget HDRI and glass and DOF all inside of Bryce. Raytracing will just take forver to calculate all of that. Betteroff doing the DOF in post (imho).

I haven't done DOF inside of Bryce now for years. Just takes too long and if its not right, you can't change it without re-rendering. Distance render and post-work, everytime!

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 7:46 AM

Yeah, 16 days wouldn't have been enough.  :-) So I forgot about being a purist and did it in postwork.  The trouble with the distance render method is that it doesn't make the focal point in mid ground, only in the foreground.   But I postworked anyway and faked that.

Thanks for adding my entry.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2007 at 8:22 PM

On your distance render, you can "select color range". Choose pure black, then go to the main render, and blur that selection. Go back to the distance render select the color range of pure white, and then blur that selection on your main render. Thus, the main, focused area will be your midground. ;o)

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 5:10 AM

aha!    That's so obvious!  Now that you've said it in any case.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 3:35 PM

An ability Bryce TRULY needs in this post-working DOF area is....to be able to render out a Distance render based upon the same way we make a DOF render inside of Bryce.

Meaning, you select the object you want in focus, select Distance Render, and like the current DOF settings you click a "Set To Current Selection" button. Now the distance render will be made based upon your point of focus.

Yes, this IS on my list of things to DAZ for Bryce 7.0

Until then.....if you REALLY want to be able to do this, there IS a 2D plugin (for Photoshop, PSP, etc), that will take your Bryce distance render and recalculate so you can make your area of focus wherever you want. It will even create Bokeh effects (read more at the site) The catch is, its $60

But, is IS an amazing plugin.;
http://www.dofpro.com/

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 6:07 PM

Fantastic Piece of software..........gotta sharpen up the plastic for that one.

___

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:31 PM

Same here, its just too unique, and still $60 isn't all that bad for a plugin. I've seen better, but I've also seen way higher prices.

I'm trying to find a page that shows differences.....version 3.0 is $60, but version 1.5 is only $30.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:33 PM

Ah Ha!
In the FAQ section;

DOF PRO comes in two versions - v1.5 and v3.0. 
v1.5 Supports only single frame processing while v3.0 supports full batch / animation / keyframing capabilities internally from within the filter. This completely eliminates the setup time required for Photoshop actions and allows batch / animation / keyframing capabilities to be used from within any host capable of running Adobe Photoshop compliant filters. In addition, v3.0 allows all sliders to be keyframed with fully-editable function curves enabling the user to create sophisticated DOF sequences such as changing focal points, increasing DOF amounts, and much more.

So...if you aren't animating, go with version 1.5 for $30. VERY do-able.

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:39 PM

Awesome!!

___

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:47 PM

Yup, I didn't know that until just now, lol.
After the first of the month.....think I'll update my DOF'ing abilities.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:37 AM

Excellent find.   There's going to be a lot more DOFing going on.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.