Mon, Sep 16, 10:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 5:10 pm)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: cant find solution

elenorcoli ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 1:06 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 2:59 AM

sorry guys i know this place is about python, but i figure if you all know that you're probably pretty good at basic.
my question is about visual basic.  i am attempting to read from text file line by line.  i'm new at this but working hard on picking it up.  the only example i have seen comes from http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html
an otherwise decent place.  but their example is wrong.  it seems like they chose the right method, but something just doesn't work out.  here is the code:

Dim FILE_NAME As String = "C:test.txt"
Dim TextLine As String

If System.IO.File.Exists(FILE_NAME) = True Then

Dim objReader As New System.IO.StreamReader(FILE_NAME)

Do While objReader.Peek() <> -1
TextLine = TextLine & objReader.ReadLine() & vbNewLine
Loop

Textbox1.Text = TextLine

Else

MsgBox("File Does Not Exist")

End If

i've been hacking on this for hours and all over the net, just can't get a solution.  this code reads the entire text, without going line by line.

so anyone have any ideas?  or any favorite websights that could help in visual basic?

mucho gracias

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 1:48 AM

Aren't such simple problems used as samples in the docu?

Dim TextLine as String
Dim TextBlock as String

Do While objReader.Peek() <> -1
  TextLine = objReader.ReadLine()
  TextBlock = TextBlock & TextLine & vbNewLine
Loop

Now each line is first read into TextLine. You may change the content of TextLine to your needs before it is appended to TextBlock (Textblock is now what TextLine was - variable names should reflect what happens).
Or remove the line completly where the string is attached to TextBlock if you only check a file for something.

Not sure if obReader.Peek() is the best way to check for end of file. I'm not a Visual Basic Programmer. But I bet there is something other to check for EOF (do a search in your documentation for EOF).

Perhaps it's a better (faster) way to spend the time used to search ready to go script snippets with learning a bit about programming :)

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 7:30 AM

The Reader objects all have an EOF marker, so you can change the code into 
while not objReader.EOF() do

You can read alll the lines of a textfile into an array of strings, each string will represent one line:

Dim TextLines() as string

TextLines=objReader.ReadLines()
Maybe the text file is too big to hold in memory though.

As for favorite websites, the online help of VB.NET (I assume you're using the 2005 Express edition) usually gives a good start, for the rest there's www.gotdotnet.com 

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

elenorcoli ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 10:37 AM

wow thanks much guys working on this now will check back with conclusion

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.