Mon, Sep 23, 3:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Want critiques?

Jochen38 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:00 AM · edited Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:05 AM

Thanks Karen,

I just received a big bunch of mails from here :o))))))) Now let´s explore the art. :o)
B.t.w. an impressive list. Thanks for that. It´s a good helper to find all the people.

If I had worked myself through all galeries,  I would  probably get more grey hair than I actually
have ;o) I do what I can......

Regards

Jochen

vincebagna ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 8:25 AM

It's strange, cause i never received any alert to tell me a favourite artist had upload something, even before subscribe to this group. What about that?

My Store

vincebagna ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 8:26 AM

In fact, i never received any alert from this site, even with the tick "Notify me when someone replies" enabled. What's wrong with that?

My Store

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 8:36 AM

have you checked that your profile has the right email? i've uploaded a pic btw :D

vincebagna ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 8:51 AM

Quote - have you checked that your profile has the right email? i've uploaded a pic btw :D

Damn! It was that! ;p

I uploaded one too :)

My Store

paper-tiger ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:47 AM

Sign me up, please. I've been hoping for an opportunity to give an receive USEFUL comments for a looooong time.

Propschick ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:51 AM

Please add me.

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

-BrandyE- ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 11:06 AM

I'd like to participate :)

Brandy

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 11:10 AM
mhossack ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 12:09 PM

Thanks pjz99 - saves a bit of time!!

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 1:00 PM

Thanks pjz99!  That is a time-saver.  I like looking through the galleries when I sign peeps up,though.

Anywho!  I implemented a bunch of fixes in a re-uploaded image and it does look better,IMO.  The folks that gave advice can take a look at:www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php

Thanks for all the feed back!

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Bobasaur ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 1:15 PM

Just a reminder for everyone - Macs and PCs use different Gamma settings in their monitors. Therefore something that's dark and moody (as desired) on a Mac may look just plain black on a PC and something created on a PC may look washed out and lack contrast on a Mac. I've found it relevant and helpful to note that in some of my critiques when I've done so in the forums.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 2:07 PM

i've found that it can vary widely in general.  for instance, i found i had to change my monitor's settings after i listened to several people complain about the darkness of an image that showed up just fine on my monitor.  and calibrating doesn't really solve anything if you publish to the Web, since you can't count on your viewers to do it.  i wish there were some sort of standard to adhere to.  i know with CRTs, tv's had a small piece in place ( i think one resistor) to normalize gamma but computer monitors didn't.  now things are even more uncertain and often frustrating. 

that said, i'm glad display technologies are developing as quickly as they are.  and while it's more difficult to control the appearance of anything published online, it's a whole lot more immediate and cheaper than print.  and in my experience, printers can vary a great deal.  color calibration is just difficult.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 2:39 PM

I agree with that!  I got a LCD monitor yesterday and EVERYTHING I ever did looks completely different than I wanted, or intended. Meh!  Alrighty,then--if it looks alright on my CRT AND my LCD it must be O-kay.  Just cause I say it's so by me!  

So there!  Dammit. :lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 2:57 PM

I have my 17inch LCD hooked up to the laptop and there is a significant difference in color on everything between the two screens. I get the color that I like on the laptop screen but when i look at it on the other monitor its got this yellow almost aged look to it. I don't know which one is is closer to what others see but noticing the difference makes me check my final results on both monitors before uploading now LOL

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:26 PM

Quote - I would like to comment the games in a galery, for practical reasons. I cannot use the forum at work, because the text box here is some kind of applet, filtered by my employers firewall. I can use the box in the galleries though, because that's not an applet. I usually have some time at work to look and comment pictures, but I can only comment them in the galleries. I can only write in the forums from home, and since my kids are still quite small my time there is limited.

One problem with using just the galleries is that there is no way to tell, until after you click on the link, if the image involves nudity. (I think that even if we don't have images in the discussion threads, if the image being discussed involves nudity, then we should flag the thread.)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:35 PM · edited Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:36 PM

i think that needs to change in any case.  this isn't my only source of favorites; that's a problem with how all the favorites are mailed out.  i already posted to the suggestions forum about it.  oh, and i have no problem with artistic nudity- i just like to know when it's going to appear on my screen.

Jochen38 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 4:18 PM

Quote - I have my 17inch LCD hooked up to the laptop and there is a significant difference in color on everything between the two screens. I get the color that I like on the laptop screen but when i look at it on the other monitor its got this yellow almost aged look to it. I don't know which one is is closer to what others see but noticing the difference makes me check my final results on both monitors before uploading now LOL

Have you tried to calibrate you monitors? I. e. Adobe Gamma, which comes with Photoshop, is a good way to get a basic calibration.

Regards

Jochen

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 4:25 PM

I still think a separate gallery would be great. That way we could go there straight away. As far as ego, I don't have much of an ego. I was raised by parents that no matter what I did it was never good enough so I am my own worst critic. I am at the point now, where there are things I can't figure out from the manuals including Practical Poser, like atmopsheric lighting - yes, I read RGUS tut and can't understand it - also how lights really work. Like my last image. Some of you noted that she looked like she was floating. Well, I put all of her under the ground plane then brought her up and pulled each body part under again until I was sure she was grounded. Yet the lights I used made the reflections looks as if she was not on the ground. Why? I don't know why that happened. Things like that.

witchiebunny ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:30 PM

Add me please. :)

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 7:30 PM

Quote - Have you tried to calibrate you monitors? I. e. Adobe Gamma, which comes with Photoshop, is a good way to get a basic calibration.

I don't have Photoshop, I have PSP... I'm a technical idiot so I'll have to ask my friend about that kinda stuff LOL but ty for the idea, I think he actually does have PS so maybe we could figure something out.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 8:03 PM

Quote - > Quote - Have you tried to calibrate you monitors? I. e. Adobe Gamma, which comes with Photoshop, is a good way to get a basic calibration.

I don't have Photoshop, I have PSP... I'm a technical idiot so I'll have to ask my friend about that kinda stuff LOL but ty for the idea, I think he actually does have PS so maybe we could figure something out.

http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

Try that link.  It doesn't change any hardware settings, it just leaves a cookie. So if you delete your cookies you have to go and recalibrate your monitor again.

That's what I used with my old monitor because I didn't know how to do it physcially and couldn't grasp the various calibration site instructions.  This is basically "Calibration for Dummies",  hehe

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

zorares ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:48 PM · edited Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:50 PM

Heck yeah! Sign me up. This is why I joined Renderosity years ago. Um...how does it work?

http://schuetzenpowder.com/sigs.jpg

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 10:59 PM
Jochen38 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 1:29 AM

Hey folks,

the first time I´ve got a lot of mails and it´s no junk but infos about the people added me to favourites or they uploaded something into the galley ;o) Good thing, wonder how to manage this...lol

@Acadia

Thanks for this link....

Regards

Jochen

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 1:39 AM

As time goes on I can see whenever a person joins this effort, they'll probably pop up on the Most Favorited list for a week or two...

My Freebies

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 2:01 AM

The only complications I have seen to this so far is...

1. wanting to discuss more technical aspects, i.e. how was that particular effect was achieved etc. This is why I like the forum idea, I think stuff like that would be easier to discuss in a forum. Like I mentioned previously, still upload to the gallery, & people can comment there if they wish, but extend the discussion in the forum if necessary.

2. people joining here that are already on my favourites LOL - so I have decided I am going to comment the same regardless - hell or high water critique comments for everyone LOL

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

vincebagna ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 2:42 AM

I want to thanks evry people who made a comment on my last upload. Now i'm working on an improved image following the advices given. I'm intimately convinced all this stuff is very useful!!
:D

My Store

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 2:56 AM

hehe, I don't know where all of you are getting so much inspiration from! Some have an upload every day!  Care to share your muse with me?

Sorry I haven't been commenting much. I've had things going on that have been preventing me from doing so. 

I also need to get caught up on everyone that has newly joined and add them to my favourites.  I see that pjz99 has been creating direct linkages, which will be a great help.  Thank you for doing that :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:00 AM

Thanks pjz, that's so much easier! I have copied this format into the opening post and will go with this from now on.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:07 AM

Happy to do it, although I encourage people to really take a good look at someone's gallery before favoriting if you might have any reservations about content that might make you unhappy or uncomfortable.

My Freebies

Zhack ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:24 AM

Id like to join in, id really apreciate some useful critics so i know what to improve.

Bobasaur ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 8:46 AM

For those that are concerned about nudity in images posted in a forum, they are supposed to tag the thread with nudity if there's an image posted that contains it (there are content advosory boxes below the space where you enter your post that can be checked to flag the thread for language, violence or nudity). You should be able to tell before you open the thread that there's nudity. Unfortunately people sometimes forget to tag their threads, but... when it's forgotten, other's quite often raise the nudity flag to help out.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

johnfields ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 10:15 AM

I'm in! please sign me up!

DapperMan ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 10:26 AM

I love this!  I haven't had constructive criticism like this since art school.  

Thanks for this idea, Karen!

Rutra ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 2:17 PM

I must say that I love this too. I learned more in my last 2 pics than in my previous 30.
Many sincere thanks to all of you!!!

One stupid question: how do I remove someone from my favourites?! Indoda left and I would like to take him from the list (i just goofed and posted some crits on one of his pics...)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:08 PM

click the edit opposite the My Favorite Artists label and on the right.  you'll get your favorite artists listed with options to make private, delete, and turn off notification .  clicking delete will make a javascript alert pop-up and ask you if you  actually want to delete and warning you that adding them again will not affect the art charts (good to know).  just click ok, and you should go to a confirmation page.

Rutra ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:18 PM

Thanks! :-)
How stupid of me! I had never seen that "Edit" button there!

kobaltkween ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 5:17 PM · edited Fri, 30 March 2007 at 5:18 PM

oh, no that's not stupid.  the interface design is problematic.  if there's going to be an edit button, it should be right next to the title, but i don't see why those options shouldn't be on the page in the first place.  the list looks exactly the same but with more options.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 10:47 PM

What I am really enjoying is seeing so many different renders. It's fascinating how people can take similar things and made such a wide variety of images :)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 11:13 PM

Taking DISsimiliar things and making renders is my speciality. :lol:  Well...variety IS the spice of life.....so I must prefer my life a HOT CURRY! ^__^ V,,  Nyahahahahahahahahahah!

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 11:42 PM

Just a note that I have not had time to post an image or critique anyone . Have not forgotten you. It finally warmed up here a little and I have to take care of my much neglected horse. Will work on everything this weekend, it's supposed to rain. Cheers, Sherrie

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 12:16 AM

The only irritating thing is that the images move off the front page so quickly that it does become a little dificult if you want to go back and see if the artist has reacted to your comments. One I commented on about 8 hours ago is now on page 17. It does make me feel that perhaps there is benefit in the idea of a forum :)

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 1:34 AM

Bea, I simply keep the bookmarks in my email programm for a while. I can easily go back to any image in the critique group.

But maybe it would be possible to get a kind of "My Favorites Gallery", where you can see all pictures of your selected artists? That would be great.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:07 AM

You can also quickly get to the list of who you have favorited by bookmarking this link:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php?favorite_artists

My Freebies

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:39 AM

Strange thing just happened to me!
I just saw pjz99 picture in the gallery but I didn't receive any ebot! I just saw it by accident! I went to my favourite artists page and pjz99 name was missing! How can that be? Has this happened only to me?
Well, I will add you again, my friend, for sure I dont want to miss any of your pictures!

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:43 AM · edited Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:45 AM

edit: thinking about it, I actually edited the comments on that posting twice (I was a little stage shy) - and one time it took quite a long while, which may have been the Rendo database side generating a bunch of ebot notifications - so I may have broken it myself.  I'll be a little less fidgety next time I post.

My Freebies

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:16 AM

Zhack and JohnFields, you're both in.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 7:00 AM

This can't be right, can it? I haven't received any upload ebot in the last 12 hours! I receive other ebots and mails but no ebot for new pictures. Is this possible in such a big group? I wonder if there's something wrong, somewhere...

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 7:39 AM

Friday night in US Prime Time :) Nobody home doing artwork but us nerds!

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.