Tue, Oct 22, 12:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Hit a wall

joeyz ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:00 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:47 PM

hey guys, Im a bit new to the photography forums. Ive spent most my time doing 3d with poser ,carrara and the like. I've recently just started my infatuation with photography not too long ago and still have a ton to  work on. However heres the problem, due to lack of studio equipment and knowhow Im having a hard time making my shots look like the ones in my head like I was able to do in 3D and as a result I've hit a bit of a creative wall.
What do you guys do in these situation?

inshaala ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:05 AM

Attached Link: Make a studio for $80...

That or go out into the open air and take shots of anything you find with "art" in mind... take a look at the photography galleries for inspiration... Photography isnt just about studio work, i think only 5% of my shots are shot in a "studio" setting.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TomDart ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 7:14 AM

I ran into a retired portrait photographer...did that for years and rarely got outside to shoot for fun. It was a job.  He said he was having more fun now with a small digital than he ever did with portraits every day.   There is much to be said of seeing and trying to see in all the large scale and small wonders around us, from street grates to people to clouds and whatever.

I do like Rich, but less than 2% shot with studio lighing..useing a homemade studio set up were there is room is one reason.

Still, I would like to have a dedicated studio to try some "perfectly" composed and lit art shots. A dream..

When I get the blank wall, I generally drive and look and take a few shots here and there, many not keepers. Often along the way, a new idea comes to mind and a direction for the moment.

vlaaitje ( ) posted Thu, 22 March 2007 at 6:55 AM

inshaala: true...most of my shots are taken outdoors...some are taken in a little studio box....but I was thinking as well to make a room ready for some better glamour shootings......thanks for the link......

Ilona Krijgsman: My Tree Of Life
----------------------------------

TMGraphics ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 11:12 PM

Use household lights, clamp on lights, to mimic your 3d environmental lighting. Use something in front of a light to diffuse (make light not so strong as bare bulb) like a sheet, or pillow case for stronger effect. Use white cards (like posterboard) to 'bounce' light and reduce shadows.
Making the transition from 3d to photography is a matter of imagination (real world style).

Maybe you could post an image of what you are trying to accomplish and some images of where you are at with it.

Thomas

thundering1 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:26 PM

You'd be amazed at what some photographers have done with light coming through a window - not direct sunlight, but just the fact that it is brighter next to a window. Soft diffused light.

A simple desklamp can become your light source - and as TMGraphics said, put something like a sheet in front of it for diffused lighting - or bounce it off a $2 piece of white foamcore. On that note, back to the open window, that same $2 piece of foamcore can be your "fill" light so the shadows won't go completely black.

Play, experiment, have fun. Don't be goal-oriented just yet - give yourself time to figure out what you like, and what's within you finances (studio lights or a garage halogen lamp) and/or capabilities (composition, presentation, image design) that  works.

Good luck - and most of all, have fun!
-Lew ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.