Wed, Sep 18, 2:10 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Incredible new software

Mogwa ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:11 PM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 8:05 PM

This video is fantastic! Finally, an easy to use program capable of faithfully reproducing any human face. I hope the new programmers who created it won't make us wait too long for  a commercial version. I want it now.

http://blog.wired.com/tableofmalcontents/2007/03/a_morphable_mod.html

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:16 PM

saw this same animation like a year ago

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

bantha ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 1:09 AM

The software is even older. It is a research project of a german university. They continue to develop it, but do not plan to sell a commercial version soon. The software is based on a still growing database of head scans. As the movie was made, this database was built from 300 scans, they now have about 2000 scans in the database and can simulate the aging of children.

I have seen them at the CeBit Fair here in Hannover, but I am not linked with them in any way. The software they use is made for research use, which may be why they do not sell it. They have published the concepts and methods though.

Do not expect it to be in the shelfs soon. The database is unlikely to fit on a dvd though.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 2:51 AM

If they are not making a commercial version, then what are they doing it for?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 2:55 AM

Quote - If they are not making a commercial version, then what are they doing it for?

To prove it can be done?

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 3:18 AM

It seems a bit pointless if no one else can use it.

dt00swc ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 4:14 AM

It's not pointless - that's how software starts. You prove the theory, then someone who wants to make money out of it takes it on and makes a marketable version.

So far everyone's gone 'wow' and haven't offered the theorists money to make it. The theorists are happy because they've proven concept - an achievement in itself. What's now required is some investment by someone who wants to become a billionaire. Any takers?

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 5:08 AM

You would think that some of the bigger 3d companies would jump at the chance to buy it.

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 6:49 AM

There's no need to buy it. It's all published: http://gravis.cs.unibas.ch/publication.html

Mogwa ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote - The software is even older. It is a research project of a german university. They continue to develop it, but do not plan to sell a commercial version soon. The software is based on a still growing database of head scans. As the movie was made, this database was built from 300 scans, they now have about 2000 scans in the database and can simulate the aging of children.

I have seen them at the CeBit Fair here in Hannover, but I am not linked with them in any way. The software they use is made for research use, which may be why they do not sell it. They have published the concepts and methods though.

Do not expect it to be in the shelfs soon. The database is unlikely to fit on a dvd though.

Thank you for the information, bantha. Perhaps someone will eventually use the techniques employed in a commercial program with a smaller,  more managable database users can customize themselves. It would be a fantastically useful application.

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 12:56 AM

Actually, they had enough time. The software was presented on the Siggraph 1999 if I got it right. A smaller database would simply not work, you need informations how the faces may look to morph in that direction. The database will probably getting bigger, not smaller.

-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 3:34 AM

Probably defense and security related applications, so no interest in commercial or end-user markets.

Eternal Hobbyist

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 5:08 AM

Even if the database is very big, for what the program does it would still be very good for 3d users.  Harddisks now are huge and fairly cheap so a large program is not really a problem.

bantha ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 1:40 PM

Attached Link: Volker Blanz' Homepage

Lol, no, infinity. They do some communication stuff. Creating an animation from a photo, so that something spoken by another person is transfered on a model of the photographed person.

Universities here in germany are financed by the state. They usually do not generate much money by selling their stuff. And military research is not that big or important here.

On Volker Blanz Homepage you can see some of the stuff he is doing at the moment. A newspaper article said he rejected offers from Hollywood because he wants to continue with his research.

Xantor, just send him an email and ask. Maybe you can bring us the ultimate face room. Would probably sell well here in the marketplace. :-)

-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.