Sun, Oct 6, 6:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Making dynamic clothing

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:31 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 8:04 AM

How hard is it making dynamic clothing from scratch? I'm a newbie and would like to attempt to make a dress Halle Berry was seen in recently for my  character. Is it like super duper  hard?

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:37 PM

You have to learn howto model ... thas not easy and you wil have to sprent weeks months years into it before your a good modeler..
So making your own stuff is not easy at all ..but its great fun :}
And you need a modeller, uvmapper and a drawing program for textures etc etc..
Conformig or dynamic makes no difference to the making itself.

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:43 PM · edited Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:49 PM

Oh okay. I don't have a modeller. Just poser 6. I do have a 2D paint program (PSP9). Okay thanks for answering. I saw some others making items and giving it away for free. Made it seem easy. LOL

thanks again.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:56 PM

there are Free modelers ... so starting does not need to cost money ..
Blender is a free one and wings is a free modeler ...
And yes some give things away.. but dont let that fool ya ;}
its not easy ... 

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

whoopy2k ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 6:32 PM

Don't give up without giving it a shot.  Download a free modeling program like Blender.  I personally use wings3d (also free).  I"ve made quite a few items and didn't spend any money.  It does take some time but you might be surprised by how much you can learn to do!

sweetpegster ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 9:13 AM

If i could jump in and also inquire, i have given a go at modeling and can make a skirt and dress, but to make it dynamic, is that a matter of bringing the obj into the cloth room? this is where i tend to get a bit lost.

whoopy2k ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2007 at 10:00 PM

Yes, there are more details than that, but basically any obj can be clothified.  Once again, there are many pointers in the tutorials section under dynamic cloth.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 12:08 PM

Quote - How hard is it making dynamic clothing from scratch? I'm a newbie and would like to attempt to make a dress Halle Berry was seen in recently for my  character. Is it like super duper  hard?

Well, it's not all that hard... but it does take time and learning.
Which outfit do you have in mind? got a pic?

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

ArtPearl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 12:41 PM

Attached Link: PhilC Tutorials with voice over

**Sweetpegster:**

Look at PhilC's video tutorials,very easy to follow,with voice over.It's for P5 but didnt change much in P6 (I dont have P7 but I think its the same too).

(He says not towait more than a minute or two, but if you item is big/ high resolution it can take time,and of course dependson your computer power)

Conniekat8:

I'm jumping on the band wagon too- I have wings3d and Hexagon but have been puting off using them because I couldnt see usefull tutorials. Found some about making objects (Table, wine glass...) but no outfits. So if you know of any, or if you could go through some simple example - would realy love you!  For me it would be usefull to have an example of a fitting item (eg t-shirt) and a loose item (eg wide skirt), but any example would do for a start.

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."
Man Ray, modernist painter
http://artpearl.redbubble.com/

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 12:55 PM

One of the things that may help get you started is the QuickDress (a free download at morphography). It is created as a base for modeling Victoria 3 dresses. You can import it into your modeling application, change it as you like, then export it and use it in Poser.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ArtPearl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 3:58 PM

I looked it up and QuickDress indeed seems like a good start, Unfortunately I am using a MAC and anim8or is for PCs only. I am guessing other programs probably have similar tools but if i have a choice I still would like a tutorial for a  program I actually have... So if  Conniekat  wants/can explain I would still love it...

(I havnt used any of these modelling programs,so i'm a complete novice in that respect,but quite a few years ago I used Strata3d which was realy nice,but the old version I have dosnt seem to export anything usefull for Poser)

"I paint that which comes from the imagination or from dreams, or from an unconscious drive. I photograph the things that I do not wish to paint, the things which already have an existence."

diolma ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 4:20 PM · edited Thu, 12 April 2007 at 4:21 PM

There's a set of 3 video tutorials (avi format) available, by Jen Greenlees. The show how to get started (using box modeling) creating your own clothing in Hexagon. These got me started  and I haven't looked back since.

I'm not sure if direct linking to a .zip file is permitted in the forums, so I won't do that, but you can find them by googling for "greenlees poser" (without the quote marks) then clicking on the link for PoserPros::View Forum - Hexagon
(It's about the 4th item down the list).

The videos are friendly and slow enough that anyone can follow them (after all, I did!)
Hope that helps:-)

Cheers,
Diolma

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 4:40 PM

Uh oh.... Me, explain? blushes nervously  I'm barely past learning the basics myself...
While I'm figuring out where and how to start explaining things, I'd like to bring your attention to this tutorial/workflow demonstration, whatever you wanna call it:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2689937

Even thought it shows how to model a critter, the commands that he is using, extruding, tessalating. outlining things, tweaking... it's similar.  He's doing it outlining a dino sketch, for clothes, one would do it outlining a zeroed figure object.
I'm really digging hexagon. For the moment I've set 3d studo sub-d modeling for hexagon. It crashes every once in a while - not any more then other programs I use, especially if you leave it alone while it's 'calculating/thinking' and not go crazy poking keys to see if the computer is alive.
Also, hexagon has an excellent set of video tutorials that came with it, which will get you into the basics... Plus the girl narrating them has the cutest french accent ;)
I never got around to trying wings.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:04 PM · edited Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:05 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys! Very helpful

Conniekat this dress....

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:07 PM

Also, I'd like to give you guys this link from 3D total.
It's a story about how joan of arc was modelled. You can skip the character modeling if you'd like, but do dig into how the artist modelled the accessories and clothing.  Even though it was modelled in Max, the concept of how it's done is still very useful!!!
http://67.15.36.49/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

ArtPearl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:22 PM

Thank you Diolma and Conniekat, I'm sure taht will get me going. I tried downloading greenlees videos but it was very slow,and I started hiting keys got stuck and stopedit. I'll try again later. I  had a look at the other link and that looks very promising.  I dont think I got any tutorials with hexagon - I got it in March when DAZ sold it for $2, so maybe this was a limited version. Or maybe I should download it again,hmmm. (I don't like reference manuals but i do use tutorials suplied with programs). Anyhow, it seems that Hexagon has similar terms to those I  remember from Strata, so probably will be good!

Well, I certainly got a lot of usefull info.(See Conniekat, I knew It was a good think to ask you!)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:34 PM

Artpearl, I got the sale version of hexagon too... look in your: C:Program FilesEOVIAHexagon 2datadocdata  folder.  (I'm assuming you accepted generic install)

Files named with _dta.mov seem to contain english version. Ssame file name without the _dta appear to be in french.
isolate_selection.mov = french
isolate_selection_dta.mov = English
Also, there's a number fo models that Hex came with, in C:Program FilesEOVIAHexagon 2Models   I'd encourage you to open them up and examine how they're made...
Then when you get really brave, dig into your poser geometries object files, and examine how those are constructed ;)   But remember to not save them, so you don't goof up the originals.
...that alone should keep you busy for couple of months ;)    [evil laugh]... well, not really  Happy learning!
I can try and answer whatever questions I may be able to!

SSAfam1, very cute dress!!!! I could model it, but right now I'm way behind with a lot of things... 
there may be something around already that looks like it, it's a pretty classic form. Then it could be retextured to look like the picture.

ArtPearl ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 5:56 PM

Aha. Something definitly went wrong. I am on a mac so path may not be the same, but I am definitely missing things. Was there a content list?  I guess I have to look into it.
Thank you again you were so helpfull already!

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 6:27 PM

I'm not in a rush connie. I have yet to make one character so the dress isnt needed right at this moment. LOL  I was wondering if learning to model a dress would take years. I figured I'd get my first charcater done in that time. :p Yep Poser is killing me. LMAO

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 9:14 PM

well, if you're not in a hurry, I'll put the picture in my 'to model' archive....

As for characters, I tend to like and model for (most often) the GND... Girl Next Door character, available here on rendo... by blackhearted. Actually preparing a package of freebies for her as we speak...

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2007 at 9:28 PM

Do you like modelling for V3? I use her. I have Poser 6 but Jessi's face is 'rough'.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 11:45 AM

Yea, I'm on the V3 bandwagon... I didn't find tiome to tinker with V4 yet.
GND, Girl next door is my favorite V3 morph/character, so couple of my friends and myself end up starting with that morph more often then with the plain V3.

On the other hand, doing it for you, I can create it on the plain V3 body, or on the morph(character) that you decide to use.  
I'm not advanced enough yet, and don't quite have the time to include a number of dial morphs into a single piece. Heh, I wish I had the time :D

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 1:37 PM

Quote - Do you like modelling for V3? I use her. I have Poser 6 but Jessi's face is 'rough'.

Jessi is butt ugly. She doesn't even look human and looks more like a sci fi alien to me.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 6:34 PM · edited Fri, 13 April 2007 at 6:38 PM

Conniekat

Quote - Yea, I'm on the V3 bandwagon... I didn't find tiome to tinker with V4 yet.
GND, Girl next door is my favorite V3 morph/character, so couple of my friends and myself end up starting with that morph more often then with the plain V3. On the other hand, doing it for you, I can create it on the plain V3 body, or on the morph(character) that you decide to use.  
I'm not advanced enough yet, and don't quite have the time to include a number of dial morphs into a single piece. Heh, I wish I had the time :D

Oh okay so That GND character is a morph not like a model? Can you tell I'm a newbie? LOL  I don't know original models from morphs. Well whenever you can get to it Connie. No rush at all. I'm learning the basics now so I should have ONE character done by next year. LOL Sad. 

Acadia

Quote - Jessi is butt ugly. She doesn't even look human and looks more like a sci fi alien to me.

``

She's downright scary

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 6:41 PM

GND... One of the most popular, best done morphs (characters) for V3... 

You can find her here: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=39673 
and some accessories for her in the marketplace: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?TopID=11219.87798.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 6:59 PM

She has the cutest lil figure. Some junk in the trunk. I like her.

sonita ( ) posted Mon, 16 April 2007 at 6:57 AM · edited Mon, 16 April 2007 at 7:05 AM

Quote - ...but basically any obj can be clothified... 

Sorry to interrupt here, I know this statement is true but I have had problems clothifying OBJ. files these past few days.

I import them into Poser 6 and add them to the prop library so it makes a pp2, or z, or whatever.Only lately they won't do anything in the simulation, except for not draping at all, and after the 10 drape frames I tell it to do, it keeps draping forever, and refuses to simulate. I have told it to collide with the ground, so it's not that. Can anyone help me with this?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.