Mon, Sep 9, 8:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Im simple...Whats EXP????

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 3:49 AM · edited Thu, 15 August 2024 at 7:52 AM

Ok call me simple (that may cause a few posts,lol) but in simple terms what is this new EXP for V4.1?

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

eirian ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 5:06 AM

LOL! I don't know if it's possible to explain it in simple terms. But I'll try. 

The INJ/REM system used for the V3/M3 etc figures relied on having blank morphs channels in the CR2 ready for the morphs to be injected. Earlier Injectable morphs used to pick an existing morph channel to override. Both of these systems have serious weaknesses because in either case a morph channel must already exsit for an injectable morph to be used. 

What this meant in practice is there's a limit to the number of morphs you can use with a given character. And the big morph expansion sets popular at DAZ had to include a new CR2 file with enough blank channels to support the new morphs. This made it hard to mix-and-match the expansion sets, impossible for the non-technical among us.

This problem was already showing up with some of the custom V4 figures on the market - I noticed when trying to use Aery Soul's Alice with a custom face morph someone else had made that they just wouldn't inject together - the merchants were using the same blank channel. There's an easy fix, but it's inconvenient.

The EXP thing is an attempt to circumvent this problem. The software basically looks at the morph sets you own and re-creates a new V4 CR2 with enough channels for what you have installed. It doesn't prevent others using the old INJ/REM system but it does make it easier to use multiple sets of expansions together...as long as you've bought them from DAZ, or the merchant has made them compatible with DAZ's system. 

So in theory it's a very good thing. Personally I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantage.

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 5:08 AM · edited Fri, 27 April 2007 at 5:20 AM

This is not going to be for the average user. It will be mainly for content purposes. Think of it like a MMPORPG game patcher. As time goes by this allows them to make internal updates to the cr2.

On the surface it allows Daz and potentially others to add new dials and gizmos to the cr2 without overwriting existing dials as INJ/REM could. It is basically a cross between INJ/Rem and their version of PMD but not limited to just morphs. They can add ERC too or basically edit anything with a dial. Another invasive, overdone, over complicated file nightmare. It is by Rob Wisenant who came up INJ/REM. 

Below the surface, it is a type of cr2 editting method to fix things that might be broke upon release or add new dials for morphs or erc, erc.

At it's most basic level EXP= Cr2 editting via poser readScripts.

Reading this may make your eyes bleed, but here is an info link. Have a glass of Scotch before you start reading. The colored diagrams are very pretty.

http://artzone.daz3d.com/wiki/doku.php/pub/technotes/exp

This really isn't a Daz Studio thing. It is a Poser cr2 config. Only figure cr2's hand editted to receive such scripts will function this way. Basically it is a Mil4 figure feature only. It has no impact on any other figure.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:16 AM

It's like ESP except the "X" chromosome is more dominate...hehehehe.

My Facebook Page

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 5:48 PM

mybookmark

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:05 PM

I can see the advantages of this 'technology', but also the opposite.  This makes accidental contention for the 'user' dials less likely - good.  But it makes the process to avoid that contention cumbersome - bad.

Also, - and here I reminisce about when I prognosticated about the long list of ! Inj/Rem folders in the Runtime:libraries; was I right; you bet.  I count 16 folders in mine! - there will be a day, meine freunde, when you've installed fifty V4 morph packs and have added thousands of these unique 'user' dial slots.  Though they are hidden and minimal when uninjected, there has to be some adverse affect for so many in the body parts.  Just because they're hidden doesn't mean that they're not there - in memory.

There has to be a better way - but only e-frontier could remedy that I suppose.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:14 PM · edited Fri, 27 April 2007 at 7:16 PM

I think this type of thing is a perfect example of something that was best done as a stand alone utility that could be applied to any Poser cr2. Simple, easy, universal, and elegant.

I know you are a tech head too so we can both appreciate how fun a new idea is, but trying to piggy back this onto INJ/REM, which already has a mixed fan base, could actually kill the Mil4 figure line.

A Python script utility could have easily accomplished the same thing for all users. Attempting to do this internally with readScripts was a mistake in my option. Poser doesn't use readScripts in this way, so if for any reason the structure changes, V4 and all of this could be unusable in Poser.

I know the FAQ says that users of other programs can use Poser as a filter, but many STudio users don't have Poser. Anyway their figure. Their choice. I agree there are better ways.

What is needed is internal cr2 editting tools, not something just to inject products.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 7:02 AM

Thankyou for the explanation,at least now i feel a little less silly...lol

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:36 AM

Quote - I think this type of thing is a perfect example of something that was best done as a stand alone utility that could be applied to any Poser cr2. Simple, easy, universal, and elegant.

It could be expanded to such, but perhaps I believe that it's there experimentally. If it works out, it works out. If not, it goes away and nothing else is affected, so I sincerely doubt that it "could actually kill the Mil4 figure line". From what I gather on the subject, it is an optional thing even on V4, so it doesn't necessarily mean that it gets in the way of workflow.

There is one credible scenario I see so far which it would be any sort of problem: Someone opens a long-ago saved .pz3 w/ Vicky 4 in it, tries to pop in a brand-new morph for the V4 figure, and maybe something goes kerflooie. Even then, this hasn't been confirmed.

The whole problem is, like any other in Poserdom, that we're all stuck with outdated and limit-ridden tech on the whole .cr2 concept.  One fine day I'll grab hold of Carrara (a new Mac version, not the ancient Win32 one I have now), import the whole wad of figures in and skeleton-rig 'em (if that hasn't been done by others already), and the whole joint thing will become moot. Until then, I deal with the nature of the beast.

(PS: Nerd3D and Rob came up with ERC as well as INJ/REM... again, to get around Poser limitations. If Rob wants to take it to the next level, why not let 'im?)

Quote - A Python script utility could have easily accomplished the same thing for all users.

If any of it calls tkInter, Mac users would likely be locked out (thank Apple's implementation of Python in 10.4.x and subsequent patches/kludges for that one). Also, remember that Poser's way of interpreting Python differs quite a bit from the way Python was supposed to be interpreted. While that doesn't preclude the main OS interpreter, it does complicate things a touch for anyone trying to write for it.

Quote - What is needed is internal cr2 editting tools, not something just to inject products.

Actually, what is needed is something more modern than the joint-dependent and crufty .cr2 structure in the first place... but I digress.

/P

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 7:04 AM

Forget all the install issues and so forth. Where Daz screwed up is they should have released a half dozen different products right after 4.1 came out that were different then a muscle pack that some people might not use. If these other items showed off the technology of what EXP is all about and were more useable in everyday situations, people might be singing the praises of EXP vs bashing it. They might understand it better and sing the praises of it vs bashing it. But to release a product and just le it sit there unused waiting for some artist to develope a product that uses this new technology was a huge marketing blunder. It would be like Ford releasing a new bio fuel car, and then waiting for somebody to make the bio fuel. A online Music store releasing a new and better music file system and no player to use it on. So everybody has figured out how to get the 4.1 exp character loaded and then a big black hole with nothing to sell people on this new technology. That was not smart.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.