Sun, Oct 6, 10:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Displacement mapping on imported OBJ

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:09 AM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 5:28 AM

I'm playing around with displacement mapping and can quite easily add a texture displacement map to a Carrara primitive and it looks very cool.   However, if I import a model that I created in Wings3d as an OBJ and then texture parts of it with displacement mapping, it doesn't have the same effect, ie none.  Since normal textureing needs to be changed to flat mapping, I wondered if there was something simple I'm missing with a displacement setting?

Anyone tried this?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:11 AM

file_376099.jpg

Here's a Carrara primitive, which is all very well for Borg rip offs, and this is the kind of thing I want to achieve with imported objects.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:13 PM

maybe they've got box/cube mapping in wings? so you wouldn't use flat mapping in wings, if it's box-map in c5.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:36 PM

Attached Link: http://www.uvmapper.com

Have you UV mapped the cube in wings or just made the cube and exported it. Sorry if it sounds obvious but I have on occasion forgot to UVmapp something and just exported it out to find that textures don't work.

I use UVMapper Pro but UVMapper Clasic is FREE and you can do all your different type of UV maps. Box, planer, cylinder, sphere and so on. It also splits vertices if you need to and a big thing is you can save the .obj without normals. This lowers the .obj size by a good third or more.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 5:38 PM

I've never had any problems using displacement maps on Wings3D created objects with Carrara.
I unwrap or normal map all my UVs with Wings3D UVMapping before exporting. Models made in MAX, I UVW Unwrap them, same effect in Carrara.
Any application with displacement should be able to use a displacement map on any UVMapped object, regardless of what modeller was used.

Miss Nancy:
No cube mapping in Wings. It has Unwrap, Normal Projection, Camera Projection, Cylinder, and Sphere.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

bwtr ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 7:28 PM

file_376141.jpg

You can do displacement mapping on anything in  the displacement tag.  You dont have to have flat mapping, You can set up the type of mapping suitable for the object--just as you can in the maintexturing list.

bwtr

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.