Sat, Aug 3, 8:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 28 8:54 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: No Python installed? Not!!

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 11:39 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 3:54 PM

I just replaced Python 2.4 with Python 2.5, and when I start Blender, it announces that I don't have Python installed. I can't find a config file or anything to adjust. Is there a way around this, or do I have to go back to 2.4?

Thanks,
Mick

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 11:56 AM

You'll go back to 2.4 because Blender is look for that version specifically (because it has compilied extensions, which are never binary compatible between Python versions).

Python 2.4 should coexist with 2.5, so did you install the earlier version ?

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 11:59 AM

I removed it. Duh. Back to the installer.
M

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 4:05 AM

I did the same when python 2.5 first came out, sorry should have posted a warning for others.
:blushing:

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 7:06 AM

It's disappointing to see Python going the QuickTime route. I have a handful of purchased products built in Python, and apparently they will not work in a new version of the application they were written for because the new app includes a newer version of Python. It reminds me of the tiresome announcements by various installers that I need to update QuickTime when the one Apple wants to install is, say, 3.0 and I "only" have 5.6 or something.

Oh well.
M

Gog ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:16 AM · edited Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:16 AM

I tried installing an old version of metacreations (web) painter last week to be told I didn't have enough RAM - I'm sure 2 gigs is enough when it used to run in 256M :(

Bad programming plain and simple. I'm surprised python has evolved down such a silly route of not being forward compatible. (I'd get my bum kicked for doing that at work.......)

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:56 AM

Quote - I tried installing an old version of metacreations (web) painter last week to be told I didn't have enough RAM - I'm sure 2 gigs is enough when it used to run in 256M

😄 :mad:

I haven't moved Painter onto this machine yet. Nice to hear that it won't be working because the machine is "inadequate." I'm never sure whether to write this kind of error message programming (QT and Painter) off to arrogance or obtuseness. I mean, how much fundamental social skill does it take to tell someone there is a problem without implying that the problem is their "inadequacy"? Sheesh.
At least Python doesn't announce that my 2.5 needs to be "updated" to run Blender. That level of QT idiocy used to drive me nuts, because I'd go out, pick up the newest QT, install it, and it still would report that I "needed to update," with the wonderful side effect that now all the programs that used to run with (and only with) the QT I had previously been using also would not run now.

If there is a programming practice dumber than not being able to run the products of earlier versions, it's not coming to mind.

M
PS: Blender is up and running again now that I have reinstalled 2.4, which does indeed co-habit quite nicely with 2.5, as near as I can tell.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 1:53 PM

Quote - It's disappointing to see Python going the QuickTime route. I have a handful of purchased products built in Python, and apparently they will not work in a new version of the application they were written for because the new app includes a newer version of Python.

When the products are supplied as PYC files (i.e. compiled Python bytecode) or PYD files (compiled C/C++ etc extensions) instead of just as PY files (plain text), you always not going to be able to use them with older or newer versions of Python due to changes in the core that are binary incompatible (this is expected and is why the version number changes).
Even scripts aren't immune to problems, as modules in the library due change, get deprecated, are removed, or replaced with differently named ones.

Poor version checking in applications like Quicktime is due to a lack of testing.

Problems trying to run old applications on new operating systems often means that they run into problems such as the return values of system calls (e.g. "How much memory is available ?"), return values that don't make sense to the application (P4 required a patch to cope properly with systems that had more than 1GB of memory).
Old installers often have trouble with the huge size of hard disk available today and report negative free space.

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 3:58 AM

All true points, many of them are what would considered poor programming techniques for the last 10 years. In the days when I started programming and all you had was a tiny amount of RAM you traded off error catching and data types against space, so you might use a short integer with a limited number of values to reduce memory size, and then not error check the stored answer. But with the advent of huge amounts of RAM ( and all the other windoze bloatware) this type of programming tends only to be used on embedded systems and is generally regarded as poor technique outside of this. I can't think of the number of times I've heard discussions on this, especially at software process group events.

(my first professional programming was in z80 machine code, hand assembled, I had 4k of ram alloted to do some sprite animation on the amstrad cpc464!) those were the days :)

Personally I think windoze could do with some thinning out and some old school care and attention, but we all tend to use auto generated code and hand assembly is a rare thing!

----------

richimoto ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2007 at 9:27 PM

~slightly off topic~
I love you guys, anyone who can show me more reasons to hate QT is a good buddy in my book! (death to quicktime!)
~
(enum sys:Apple IIc 24K ram)()

Boni ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 11:34 PM

Okay, I'm having the same problem ... I did install Python 2.4 as suggested, but Blender still says that Python isn't installed.  Please bare in mind I've never used Blender before and this is all very new to me. (I've only modeled in Hash, Lightwave {took a class} and Amorphium) Could I have Python installed in the wrong place.  I followed the MSI.  Thanks in advance. 

Sincerely
~ Boni ~

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 3:49 AM · edited Sun, 17 June 2007 at 3:52 AM

Boni, as you post it now, I assume you have Blender 2.44? That requires Python 2.5 and someone recommended actually 2.5.1 which works for me.

For clarification:
Blender 2.43 and earlier required Python 2.4.
Blender 2.44 requires Python 2.5.

...and Blender 2.44 is quite recent so what you read earlier in this thread is no more accurate for 2.44. Python install is very important for 2.44, even more important than for earlier versions.

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:54 AM · edited Sun, 17 June 2007 at 11:58 AM

DoomsdayRenderer:

Oh, okay, then I'm confused.  I do have the newest Python 2.5 installed as well.  Does it need to be in a specific folder for Blender to find it?  I've been able to use Blender without it, but can't access the help menu (at least that's the only problem so far). 

Thank you for your help.  *** Correction *** apparently I have Python 2.22 and 2.44 not 2.5.  Am updating now.  I have to be more alert to all of this!

Sincerely
~ Boni ~

Boni

Boni ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 12:22 PM

Okay, this was just a newbie boo-boo.  It's now coming up perfect.  Thank you.  I know I'll be back with much more questions.  But I'll save that for a new thread. :)

Sincerely
Boni

Boni

DoomsdayRenderer ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:41 PM

Show us stuff then... And have fun!

DramaKing ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 10:30 PM

I don't understand. I'm using Blender v. 2.44 with Python v. 2.5, and everything in that regard specifically works okay. However, I started with v. 2.5. I don't know if that means anything, but, whatever.

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 2:58 PM

DramaKing:  It was my mistake.  I had earlier versions of Python, not 2.5.  It works fine now. 

Boni

Boni

DramaKing ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 8:20 PM

Oh, yeah, I see what you're saying now. I guess that 's problem solved then. 
Now I must go off on another errand of mercy, spreading cheer and donuts wherever I go.

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.