Mon, Sep 9, 6:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: Disc Recovery Programme ?

freyfaxi ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 11:05 PM · edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 1:42 PM

I've  got an external Maxtor 80 gb hard drive that's just gone belly up :( Windows Explorer can still see the file strucure, but I can't do anything else with the files..copy, move, open, whatever:  :( Does anyone know of a freebie file /disc recovery programme thats available ? I can't  afford to send the disc off to a professional service for file recovery. And yes, I know the files should have been backed up..only problem is that this drive WAS the backup :(
Any help anyone can give me will be gratefully accepted.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2007 at 11:13 PM

Stuff to try: * stick the drive into the computer as a slave drive, if you can. Boot up, and see if it shows there. With any luck, the problem may have been in the USB subsystem, or the USB-related parts between drive and computer. * http://freshmeat.net/projects/scrounge-ntfs/ * for more advanced stuff, try http://freshmeat.net/projects/foremost/ There are tons of commercial solutions as well... depends on your tolerance for manual re-downloads and unzipping tools. HTH, /P

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 1:56 AM

You can also stick the drive in your freezer for a few minutes. I'm not kidding. It works. Also, I have an excellent file recovery prog but it cost $50. Well worth it after my slave drive died. It recovered everything perfectly. It's from Que Tek.

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 6:10 AM

Don't panic and don't do anything more just yet.
I had this problem some time ago with my external backup drive. There is a very good program that can help you fix it. I'll have to get my other computer running and check what the name of it was. I'll be back as soon as I got the info and links for you.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 9:06 AM

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2007 at 10:24 AM

I'm back.
The name of the app is TestDisk.  It is a genius product.
When my external drive died I tried many apps but nothing worked properly and fully. Finally I found TestDisk, mentioned at a forum,  after several days of googling - downloading -testing - googling - downloading -testing.... well, you get the idea. 
It restored the booting sector on my external drive. And after that the drive behaved as if there never had been any problems.
Of course it all depends on what the problem is but check out if this may be the solution for you.
 😄

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.