Fri, Oct 4, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Moving Files

DarkestRose ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 4:03 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 11:46 PM

For a long time, I've been getting frustrated with moving files from one runtime library to another. It's a long process with lists of where geometry files are for cr2 files; going through the list, getting the files moving the geometry ones, then the cr2, then the pose, then props to Poser and then back again. I'd stopped doing anything at all except for go to sites, look at items, images and dream of finding something that would help so I could get through doing one image without being completely discouraged. I'm disabled so it takes me awhile to do simple things, I get there eventually :)

My son decided to be super nice and bought me CRProII for Mother's Day.  I did a dry run, everything was in the Poser Programs Runtime original file location and found so many errors it took all night just for it to go through and correct them all. He didn't and I didn't realize that the only moving feature [that I've found so far] is to move files to quaranteen.

Does anyone know of a freeware program that will move poser files and their dependent files from Poser's Runtime Library to another Runtime library on the computer? 

Thanks,

DR

kalon ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 9:49 PM

No, but I'd love to find one as well.

I believe (and hopefully someone more knowledgeable about CRProII will come along) that once you've corrected the references you can move files and point CRProII to the new location.

kalonart.com

kalon ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:49 PM · edited Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:51 PM

DR

I'm trying to organize my Poser content and I came across a utility called PoserExtractor on an old CD. If you point this utility at a CR2 (for instance), it will gather up information for all files attached to that CR2 then copy them into another folder of your chosing - with the folder structure intact.

I did a quick test run and it appears to work, it will look for your Poser.exe, if you're trying to move files from a separate runtime, just create a text file and rename it Poser.exe at the appropriate place in that runtime.

I googled it and it is available at this site: www.wolfiesden.com/ follow the links (top of page, took me a minute to find them) for Poser and then utilities. BTW it is free

There are a couple of other utilities that look pretty handy as well.

Hope this helps!

kalonart.com

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:59 PM

The problem with moving stuff is that the mat files , poses and textures may not be referenced in the cr2 or pp2 files so you would move the prop or figure but not the rest of the stuff.

If the folder names were consistant a simple move would be easy, but there are some discrepancies even in commercial stuff.

The simplist I have found is simply to reinstall the item in the new runtime from its original exe or zip, and then run a file cleanup to delete any files in the one runtime that are now in the other. 

I have a utility that will do that if you need it .

kalon ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 3:12 PM

YES!!! I need it!!!!

Really very badly at the moment... You may have guessed this from my enthusiastic response.

I think your tool and PoserExtracter can work well together. Two uses I realized for the PoserExtractor-- very handy for decoded files such as the Aeon characters. Reinstalling would be a major pain as I'd have to decode each one. And two, extracting all the clothes conversions, hair conversions etc. that I've done (sometimes with no backup at all) 😊

Help me please.....................

kalonart.com

DarkestRose ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2007 at 4:43 AM

I've had a case of badly swollen feet and legs since I posted, so wasn't on  to read these.  ShaderWorks will move poser runtimes back and forth, you just have to start with what you use in different runtimes, someone has posted the link for me and it seemed to be what I needed to use.

Markschum, the utility that you mentioned, I'd like to have, I had a mess of  a time moving things so that I could use shaderworks. I was about to completey uninstall poser, delete the folder, then start from scratch, which I may end up doing if I get irritated or overwhelmed enough. At the moment I'm not touching anything. I'd started to move things by hand into a new runtime that I created starting with my best loved files and somehow managed to lose Dark Whispers Conforming Ivy for V2, that I've had a long time. XP did a hiccup and its gone unless I go back to an earlier point restore, which would mean that I lose other things. I've been digging through cds that I had as backup looking for it, I may find it in the next millennia or six.  I lost a few of PhilC's items too, but those were freebies and he still has them up :) 

Of course, it would be so much easier if Merlin popped into my livingroom and created a pocket universe hard drive and an fit a google of RAM and a google processor in my pc ;)

Thanks all,

-DR

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.