Sun, Oct 6, 6:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: .DOC/.ZIP Attachments

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 2:31 PM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 10:53 PM

Any idea why Renderosity does'nt allow 200K .ZIP uploads, when so many other formats are O.K.?  RuntimeDNA does?

Alos, I wo'nt mention where, but I've seen a viable workaround.  Many members have successfully renamed .ZIP files to have a .DOC extension, and uploaded.  Then, to DL, other members just need to actually name the DL file to end in .ZIP.  I've tried to do this a few times,but it only worked once, on a fluke.  Does anyone know how, specifically?

SGT2005 ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 9:35 PM

Renderosity doesn't allow .doc files. I wouldn't recommend trying to be sneeky about this issue either.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 11:42 PM

There must be a logical answer to why I have DL'd .ZIPs from both Bondware sites, but am unable to upload the same, can you agree?

Publically questioning your Community Forum, of what I've experienced elsewhere on the this site, is exactly the purpose of this forum, can you also agree?

I appreciate your position, but you could have linked us to what's being utilized; instead of assuming I share your Moderator's responsabilities, by scarign away informative discussion.

:sneaky: is, as :sneaky: does, Sir.

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:20 AM

Quote - Renderosity doesn't allow .doc files. I wouldn't recommend trying to be sneeky about this issue either.

That's odd, ".DOC" is one of the allowed extensions.
It's been repeatedly requested to drop that in favour of ".PY" and / or ".TXT" (which were allowed before the site conversion).

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 10:23 AM

Are you referring to forum post attachments or what?

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:20 PM

Quote - Are you referring to forum post attachments or what?

I was referring to post attachments.
The 200Kb limit mentioned in the OP, isuggests that Angelouscuitry was also referring to them.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:46 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:46 PM

Just an FYI.   .doc are allowed in  forum posts

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 2:55 PM

*"I was referring to post attachments.
The 200Kb limit mentioned in the OP, isuggests that Angelouscuitry was also referring to them."
*Thanks again, nruddock!

😉

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 3:05 PM

Oh Good,

So, I am making sense now; minus any format prejiduce, .ZIP Data does play nice in the forums?

Now then:

A.)  Given the light of the fact, may...we have .ZIPs, like RDNA Forums?

B.)  Until all of the above are true, how does the workaround go?  I have a couple different "Document" files, "Text Document"s, and "Unicode Text Documents."  I've tried just adding ".DOC" to a .ZIP file's name, but that failed.

BTW - I've just seen this done for .OBJ, with a .TXT!

Much Thanks,

Angelouscuitry~

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 4:54 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2007 at 4:58 PM

lemme see if it works. attaching zip file of jpeg file ..... it sez: There was an error uploading your file. Your message was saved without it. Your file does not end in a valid extension. o.k., rename it to .doc ..... yep, it allowed it. a bit sneaky, mind you, but it worked. [deleted doc file on edit]

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 5:49 PM

Quote - I've tried just adding ".DOC" to a .ZIP file's name, but that failed.

If you can see file extensions on the filenames in Windows Explorer, you should be able to change them.
If you have viewing extensions turned off, you can't change them in Explorer, you need to make them visible first (Tools | Folder Options... | View tab and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types") or use the command line.

Quote - I've just seen this done for .OBJ, with a .TXT!

The old forums allowed .TXT as an extension, so that was an obvious choice to use for .OBJ (I used it at least once myself for that purpose).

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 6:24 PM · edited Tue, 22 May 2007 at 6:27 PM

The bottom line is that Renderosity affords goodness knows how much space, for every level of artist to upload, all kinds of image data.  It also allows X amount of space, to it's more vigilant members,  for .DOC files.  These .DOC files are our most basic, and specific, form of communication.  I've often seen Renderosity's most talented, and more generous, Members express dissapointment  over .ZIP.  Then asking these memebrs to distribute said files,  individually, is more than one extra step for hm/her.  

There are a great number of vital Poser, and I'm assuming many other, files that could be distributed with 200K!  And we are talking about things like Pythons and Material files, that your average user could'nt dream of creating for himherslef, by the bucket load!

Recently i found yousendit.com, to link/distribute helpful files for other Renderosity Members; but these URLs only last 7 Days, 100DLs, or 1GB of Bandwidth per month, whichever comes first.  Sorry this just is'nt a longer term benifit to Renderosity?

:sneaky: people .

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 22 May 2007 at 7:12 PM

Nruddock - Awsome, I did need to make extensions visible!  Thank you for all you help, again!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.