Tue, Oct 1, 9:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: More Whaaaa problems (Lighting)

Phuzzie ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 5:12 PM ยท edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 8:26 AM

First off,

Thank you for your time.

I posted a problem last Saturday night where I was not able to have more than 10 lights in Poser 7 and I was (and still am) having terrible problems with P7 where 'point' lights are shining through walls. Here are things I have tried to remedy the situation.

I tried starting the scene over.
I reloaded level19 (stonemason product) and I put spot lights up above the big hangar door (free product from Daz) and pointed them straight down, just inside the door with the doors closed. Now if I have an infinite light turned on or a point light the spot lights shine through the walls and illuminate both the inside and outside of the hangar. If I turn off all the infinite and point lights the walls work and light does not shine through.

I loaded P7 (unpatched) on another computer I have that is very close to the same config as this one (no I will not violate copy rights to P7 once I get it working right). I shared the drive on this PC and added all my download libraries and started my original scene. It does the exact thing on the other PC.

So it must be me.

Does P7 have any known issues with Win 64? I have an AMD64 w, Whindoze64 and an N-vidia 8800 series video card. I have the latest drivers for the video card. I do not know how to turn off binary morphs, but I am pretty sure that 'Level 19' does not have any morphs attached to it.

I did look briefly on e-frontiers web site for info on N-vidia 8800 and Win64 but didn't see anything obvious.

I will try an old PC that just has a p4 and XP on it next.

What it REALLY acts like is that the back sides of the polygons are ignored. Light shines in from any outside source (not just the point lights). It happens on other figures as well. I did another test on Davos Madlab chamber. If I turned on an infinite light and it shines through the walls from the outside (even in renders)

So.. anyone with ideas or suggestions, please drop a line.

Thanks

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 5:35 PM

Check to make sure that both the lights and the walls are set to cast shadows.
Before Poser had IBL lights, turning off shadows made it possible to light scenery better using a few Infinite lights instead of many spotlights.
Not, that although IBL lights can cast shadows (treated as an Infinit light), this is rarely useful, and so the above doesn't apply to them.

The light limit is more likely to be imposed by the OpenGL implementation for your graphics card (usually 8 to 12 lights).
It should only affect the preview but not renders.

Phuzzie ( ) posted Mon, 11 June 2007 at 6:41 PM

Hi nruddock

I just tried that and no difference.

I spoze I can hook up my old P4 cpu and see what it does...

THANK YOU for your ideas.

Paul

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.