Tue, Oct 22, 12:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: re: question on multiple runtimes

wrpspeed ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 11:11 AM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 2:53 AM

Hello, My main runtime is way too big now. I want to move like props or hair to separate 
runtimes . Is there a program or way to move the associated textures and geometries 
to the new runtimes without reinstalling them or is it safe to leave the textures and
geometries where they are? I would grateful for any info in this matter.  TERRY

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 11:47 AM

I'm not aware of a program that will let you reorganize something that's already installed.
There are utilities that will help you organize content when installing.
I think most people here have gone through the first bloated runtime, then reinstalled things into a new, more organized system.
It's almost like earning your first Poser Patch - reinstalling your runtime...  ;)
Sorry I don't have any better news for you.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 11:52 AM

CRPro will do it.

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?ViewProduct=40363&

its not the main feature but it is in there.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 12:01 PM

I know it's a subjective thing but I much prefer to have everything in one Runtime and use subfolders.

Yes, you do take a hit in loading time but it's a lot less trouble than switching from one to the other IMO.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 12:30 PM · edited Sat, 07 July 2007 at 12:32 PM

And there are those of us who do both ... :)

I have multiple runtimes and I'm reorganizing them right now using subfolders and subfolders of subfolders just to cut down on the number of external runtimes.  They're going to be organized by character type (ie: Mil Men, Mil Women, Anime, Animals, etc) and then there will be subfolders for the Brokerage Site and then the character ... etc ... etc.

Not to everybody's taste but the flow chart I did works for me.

EDIT:  Of course, this doesn't entirely answer your question about a utility.  I have CRPro II but it doesn't handle subfolders at all in auto mode so I'm doing it all by hand out on one of my temp drives before I move the entire mass to the SATA drive where they all live now.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 12:38 PM

Personally I would suggest reinstalling your content from scratch when you set up your new external runtimes.  You will be surprised with the amount of content you decide to not put back in.

Plus if you install from scratch you can be more detailed with your organization.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 12:57 PM

Quote - Personally I would suggest reinstalling your content from scratch when you set up your new external runtimes.  You will be surprised with the amount of content you decide to not put back in.

Plus if you install from scratch you can be more detailed with your organization.

That's a very good idea, whichever route you go down.  It's always a good idea to do a format and reinstall at least once a year, preferably every six months.  PROVIDED you have everything backed up.  Or you can spend a lot of time saying very harsh words to yourself.   I know, I was that soldier.  :D

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 1:27 PM

I like multiple runtimes.  I find it's much faster to find things when the runtimes are smaller. 

For me, the problem is not so much the load time and the switching runtimes, it's finding things once they are installed.  It's much easier to find things with multiple runtimes.  I have one for each figure I use, and the other stuff is organized by theme.  (Fantasy, Contemporary, Holiday, Toon, Animals, Nature, SF, Horror, etc.)  I also have a runtime that just has lights and materials in it, and a Hair runtime with just hair and hair props (because you can use hair with any character). 

Some items are installed more than once, simply to make it easier for me to find.  For example, dress textures for the MFD might be installed in the V3 and V4 runtimes, since they fit both versions of the dress.  Hard drive space is cheap, my time isn't.

When I split one big runtime into lots of smaller ones, I just made copies of the main runtime and deleted what didn't fit my new categories.  I found that easier than re-installing. 

Also, whether you go with one runtime or 50, store them outside the Poser folder.  (For example, a folder called C:/!runtimes.  You really save a lot of time if you keep the runtimes close to the root directory of the drive.  Less clicking when you have to browse to the right folder.)  I really noticed a big difference when I moved my content out of the Poser folder. It's not just load time, everything speeds up.  It was like a miracle.

Morgano ( ) posted Sat, 07 July 2007 at 6:49 PM

Doesn't PBoostII enable an existing runtime to be reorganised?  

Dizzi ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 8:26 AM

If you're lazy you can just leave the geometries and textures in your main runtime, Poser should still find them (assuming you didn't play with search depth in Poser 7).

wrpspeed ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 9:00 AM

i guess i could try an experiment and just one category of props and see if that works.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.