Mon, Sep 9, 4:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 04 4:56 pm)

Subject: Lightning and 6.5

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 5:26 PM · edited Wed, 21 August 2024 at 11:02 PM

It sounds like there's been some confusion about how to create lightning in 6.5.

While there is no provision to create lightning bolts, you can create a very nice lightning effect as seen below. This is because in 6.5 you can now have lights affect the cloud layers. So you can create a lightning object, then match it up with a light or two in the atmosphere and get a very realistic lightning scene. These can also be animated as well.

So, to be clear, in the past, lights did not affect the atmosphere, now in 6.5 they do. So you can create thunderstorms and other neato effects!

Here's how I created this pic:

I created a lightning image using this tutorial in Photoshop. Make it white on black, then invert it and use it as a Transparency mask on a single Alpha plane. I made the color of the lightning eggshell white, and punched up the Luminosity to 100. I then created some low clouds and put a couple point lights at the top of the lightning bolt and rendered.

iloco ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 5:35 PM · edited Wed, 08 August 2007 at 5:43 PM

No confusion from me.  Its what I read that was confusing and now thats been taken care of. So all is well now.

I have been doing it that way for a long time. Even back in Vue 4 and 5 days.
  Was no confusing with me on what I first read and how it now reads on download page. There was mention of lightning and not lighting. 
 I think thefixer can verify this as well.
 I haae lots of alpha plane lightning bolts I can use and also lot saved vob lightning bolts from various places.
  Thats how I been doing it since back using 4.5. :)

ïÏøçö

iloco ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 8:19 PM

file_384954.jpg

No problems using alpha planes.   I have some poser props of lightning if I can only find them.  Built my new system and everything is in such a disaray. :

ïÏøçö

chippwalters ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 9:16 PM

That looks really good, William.

eldritch48 ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 12:29 AM

OMG these clouds are freakin' awesome.  With this sort of thing at my commend....Welcome to the apocalpyse :)

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2007 at 1:43 AM

I think it was prolly the wording that got confused originally, no worries, we have some nice new toys to play with again!
Nice pic Chipp!!
And yours Iloco!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.